Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I got a 2018 M3P and i'm looking to upgrade repeaters to eliminate the glare. I see today Tesla has now -E version. Any thoughts on the latest version completely eliminating the glare?

In case, I have FSD 3.0 upgrade.

TIA,
Ray
Um. Had a 2018 M3 LR RWD that got traded in last month for a 2023 LR AWD.

In any case, back when the repeater views first came available. I, like many others, complained about the glare. And, unlike many others, a mobile tech came down with a pair of repeater lights/cameras and replaced both assemblies, gratis. That pretty much fixed the glare issue.

Since I traded in the car, I don't have the on-line repair history; and, going through my papers, I can't find the receipt for the work that was done. Um. Looking at the beginning of this thread, it all started in December of 2021; Found my posts; replaced February 1, 2022. They ended up not charging me anything.

According to other posts in this thread, the -D variants and later don't have the glare. But you're likely going to end up with a blacked-out light, no chrome trim. Although I think I heard somebody mention that they managed to transfer the trim from an old light to a new one.

Price back in 2022 was quoted as $130/light, $30 install price. It more-or-less pops out.

There's an internet video by some hero type in England, I think, who disassembled a couple of them to figure out what was wrong; turns out there's a circuit board with some via holes that really shoulda oughta been "filled" (that is, made solid with solder, as compared to see-through); those holes leak light which cause the trouble. Drilling a couple of holes in the specified spots in the case identified by the hero, painting the bitty circuit board thus exposed black, then filling in the drill holes with waterproof, non-transparent gunk does the trick. Or getting one of the new lights/cameras where they did the job right in the first place.

Reactions: rayray3
Thank you so much, Tronguy! Your response was very helpful. I did see videos of taking the existing side marker, drilling, painting, filling and I'm not comfy doing that. So I'll go the route of purchasing the latest side markers and look to replace them myself. I'll update once I actually get to it. Wish me luck. :)

Thank you so much, Tronguy! Your response was very helpful. I did see videos of taking the existing side marker, drilling, painting, filling and I'm not comfy doing that. So I'll go the route of purchasing the latest side markers and look to replace them myself. I'll update once I actually get to it. Wish me luck. :)
I believe the guy had to dismount the the plastic shield on the inside of the wheel well to get at the light/camera; there should be a video somewhere showing how it's done. There's a couple of plastic tabs, top and bottom on the inside, that unclip or something. No screws.

Since this thing has a camera in it, after you do the replacement on both light/cameras, you'll have to wipe the camera calibration in the Service menu, then drive 20 miles or so while the car recalibrates itself.

Good luck!

Reactions: rayray3
Over the last two days I replaced the compliance arm bushings on my 2019 M3P. I ended up needing to pull the fender well covers so that made for easy access to the side cameras. I've had the glare issue discussed in this thread so I decided to tackle that while I was at it.

Since I don't have a drill press handy I decided to use my rotary tool (HF cheapie but works great) and the Dremel #125 bit (very pointy) to grind an access hole. Worked great but I think I made the holes too big and long term my cover for the holes will probably fail and allow water intrusion. Oh well. As added insurance, I added black RTV in the gap between the camera body and the car to hopefully prevent or reduce the amount of water that gets to the camera. Barely noticeable since my car is the midnight silver.

I used black "liquid tape" to cover the spots noted in the excellent video from Tesla Gurus. To cover the holes in the camera body I used good duct tape with several coats of acrylic lacquer.

The night time side view with the turn signal on is perfect now, no glare. Many thanks to Tesla Gurus for the DIY YouTube study on this issue.

Attachments

• IMG_1196.jpg
    IMG_1196.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2023-12-31 at 7.03.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-31 at 7.03.42 PM.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 26