Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

replacement HID bulbs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are these light bulbs appreciably brighter and/or whiter than the originals? My 2012 P85 headlights are fine but I want something brighter and whiter.
I don’t have these bulbs, but they are rated at 4800K, so will be a bit whiter than stock, which is 4300K. 6000K and above starts looking a little blue. They are also advertised for 50% brighter output which another member confirmed with n the other thread so you’re good to go.

Are these light bulbs appreciably brighter and/or whiter than the originals? My 2012 P85 headlights are fine but I want something brighter and whiter.

If you want to look at replacement HID headlight bulbs, and want the most light output (lumens) stay around the stock temp (4300K) range, which would be 4300K - 6000K! If you want it whiter, you should go with 5000K! 6000K would be the highest you want to go, as you start getting the blue color in it!

Last edited:
If you want to look at replacement HID headlight bulbs, and want the most light output (lumens) stay around the stock temp (4300K) range, which would be 4300K - 6000K! If you want it whiter, you should go with 5000K! 6000K would be the highest you want to go, as you start getting the blue color in it!
Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: RScottyL
Replaced one bulb today as I have been having intermittent problems. Got the Philips X-tremevision gen2 and, frankly, can't see any useful difference between the new bulb (US passenger side - right side) and the 6 year old original bulb. Pictures below... green arrow marks the new bulb - if anything, the new bulb has a hot spot in the middle while the old bulb is more uniform. Cut-off is equally good.

In the process, discovered a broken ground lug on the frame rail and fixed that - likely that was the source of my intermittent headlight problem... FWIW, I tried to change the bulb by removing the frunk tub. You can get your hand on it that way, but its too tight - ended up removing the wheel and wheel liners like others have posted. Having the frunk out did make that part easier.

IMG_6731.jpg IMG_6732.jpg IMG_6733.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jthompson
Thanks for the pointers on HID lamp replacements as well as the grounding issues an approach to getting at the lamp housing.

@David.85D or anybody else, any chance you've come across a writeup or video on replacing the HID lamps on these early cars with original headlights?

Thanks!

Thanks for the pointers on HID lamp replacements as well as the grounding issues an approach to getting at the lamp housing.

@David.85D or anybody else, any chance you've come across a writeup or video on replacing the HID lamps on these early cars with original headlights?

Thanks!
I’ve replaced mine. They have an access door from the back that is mostly blocked by the wheel arch liner. I ended up jacking the car up and removing the wheels and the wheel arch liner. I don’t recall why that seemed easier than removing the light assembly. I assume it was blocked by some other part I didn’t want to remove.

I’ve replaced mine. They have an access door from the back that is mostly blocked by the wheel arch liner. I ended up jacking the car up and removing the wheels and the wheel arch liner. I don’t recall why that seemed easier than removing the light assembly. I assume it was blocked by some other part I didn’t want to remove.
OK cool... appreciate it...

Mine is rather random when it fails... sometimes every 10 mins, other times it'll go for a few hours or days in between. I may double-check grounding lug before swapping lamps.

Thanks again for response.

OK cool... appreciate it...

Mine is rather random when it fails... sometimes every 10 mins, other times it'll go for a few hours or days in between. I may double-check grounding lug before swapping lamps.

Thanks again for response.
That’s what I had a year or so after fixing the grounds. Seemed like it was just time. I was considering it might be the ballast, but all the flickering went away with new bulbs.