Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement key-cards unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hacer

Apr 13, 2016
Clarksville, MD
I had my wallet stolen on a recent trip to Florida only 2 weeks after getting the model 3. My key card, sadly, was in the wallet. Since I flew to Florida I really should have taken the key card out (and a bunch of other things), but I've never had my wallet stolen or lost before in my life so I didn't think about it.

I called service to ask about getting a replacement. The told me to ask again in a few months because there is no information on cost or availability at this time. Good thing my phone-as-key is working great.

That's funny. I lost mine and the SC sent me an extra one on way back with car Friday. I can't imagine not having the keys in stock for cars that one sells.

Why did I lose mine? I have to take it out of my card case for it to work. Not a fan of walking around with creditials in a plastic carrying case. Too tech world for me. So I set it down. Probably in between the seats some place.

Anyone know the max number of keycards that can be paired with the Model 3? Can you have 3 or 4 keycards in total or can only 2 work with the car at any given time?

Did you ask Tesla to block that lost card for entering your car? Is that doable by Tesla?
Since you lost your wallet, I assume your lost your ID with the address on it as well. Presumably, someone found your wallet could track you down and enter your car... The probability is low but I am always thinking about the worst case...

Reactions: pkalhan
Did you ask Tesla to block that lost card for entering your car? Is that doable by Tesla?
Since you lost your wallet, I assume your lost your ID with the address on it as well. Presumably, someone found your wallet could track you down and enter your car... The probability is low but I am always thinking about the worst case...

It looks like you can manage this directly from the car itself: Tesla releases new Model 3 update to manage ‘phone keys’

I believe this can also manage both the phone keys and the keycards.

• Informative
Reactions: erthquake
I didn't think of that, but I think the probability is quite low. The car is always kept in a garage at home, so it would require breaking in, or stalking the car. It's also 900 miles away so not exactly convenient. I think the thief just grabbed the cash (slightly over $200) and threw the rest in the trash. When Tesla will let me get a new key-card I will have the old one removed for sure; there seems no way for me to do that myself, although you can delete authorized phones. I also can't distinguish between the two numbers, which one was lost and which one we still have. I assume Tesla can do that.