Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REplacement MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting MCU1 upgrade to MCU2 next month.Cost is $2000.00 Can. No FM &AM radio .Will cost $650.00 Canadian if you want radio. I have 2013 S. Right now I can get Most local radio st. on tune in.Will I still be able to get Fm radio on internet .
You will still be able to listen stations that are available through internet sources such as tune in. What you will lose is the flexibility to use radio for the situations where you are outside of any cellular connection for the car, or situations where TuneIn may be down.

I never missed the radio at all initially after my upgrade. I used Tunein for my AM talk and a couple of sports stations I like. BUT what I didn’t count on was not having radio for some little things, like drive in movie theatre's. Me and the Fam like to go to occasionaly. The Tesla is an excellent car for drive ins. But not having a way to dial in the tuner to hear the movie was not expected. There are other small things that pop up like driving and looking at Christmas lights in neighborhood that have the sound over a tuned station. But all in all I would still do it again. Good outweighs the bad for me.

Reactions: petredge
I never missed the radio at all initially after my upgrade. I used Tunein for my AM talk and a couple of sports stations I like. BUT what I didn’t count on was not having radio for some little things, like drive in movie theatre's. Me and the Fam like to go to occasionaly. The Tesla is an excellent car for drive ins. But not having a way to dial in the tuner to hear the movie was not expected. There are other small things that pop up like driving and looking at Christmas lights in neighborhood that have the sound over a tuned station. But all in all I would still do it again. Good outweighs the bad for me.
I would think you can still get the FM tuner added.

We held off in getting MCU upgrade for our 2017 S until the radio option became available.

For a vehicle that cost over $115K, it didn't make sense to do a "downgrade" and completely lose FM/HD/XM radio...

I didnt get the radio upgrade as I never used the radio when I had MCU1. So many streaming options already on the car (Slacker, Spotify, TuneIn) I cant keep up as it is
Reason some want the radio upgrade are either they use SiruisXM which you also lose or they frequently travel through AT&T cellular dead zones. I've run into a few of those traveling with my MS90D and have found having FM radio nice. Now, I'm not sure the frequency of that would justify $500 for me at the moment, but those are two reasons which I see why some want it.

The streaming apps aren't a complete replacement for AM/FM/HD radio - especially when trying to listen to live national news or sports. Most live sports broadcasts are blacked out - and are available only on local radio (not streamed) or SiriusXM (with the sports channels).

What Tesla should do is cut a deal with SiriusXM and provide the SiriusXM streaming app - which is a much better solution than XM satellite, especially if Tesla would have the app support buffering, allowing you to pause/resume and skip forward/backward in broadcasts - something we can with the SiriusXM smartphone app and also through Android Auto when in our RV on trips.

When I upgraded my MCU1 to MCU2 last month, the cost was $1,500, plus another $500 for the FM tuner. The upgrade was worth the money imo (rather than waiting for the recall) - much faster system, a usable web browser, many more entertainment features. And I lost none of my settings/favorites, even the FM radio pre-sets migrated to the new MCU. But I must say that the decision to pay for the FM tuner was my spouse’s - it’s not something I couldn’t live without...