Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Rear light units

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A cyclist riding on the pavement crashed into my 2019 Model S 100D while I reversed onto our drive yesterday... (he was fine). Both nearside rear light units were cracked and the Tesla decal strip all got broken and needs replacement. Tesla wants £700, so thought I'd search for a second-hand unit.

I've found the units at a scrap yard for £375 but the car is a 2017 75D LC18ZDP registration.

Does anyone know if the lights have changed over time? It looks identical from the photo he's sent me. See attached. Blue and broken is mine, Black is the scrap car.
254672275_453705802849305_1352700692577120714_n.jpg
255370794_1104666946971079_4896132107170681940_n.jpg

A cyclist riding on the pavement crashed into my 2019 Model S 100D while I reversed onto our drive yesterday... (he was fine). Both nearside rear light units were cracked and the Tesla decal strip all got broken and needs replacement. Tesla wants £700, so thought I'd search for a second-hand unit.

I've found the units at a scrap yard for £375 but the car is a 2017 75D LC18ZDP registration.

Does anyone know if the lights have changed over time? It looks identical from the photo he's sent me. See attached. Blue and broken is mine, Black is the scrap car. View attachment 734366View attachment 734367
Sorry to be a pedant (my wife hates it) but that is the 'off' side; from horse-riding the 'near' side is where you mount and dismount... Lights should certainly be fittable. Cyclists can be a pain! (and pedants)

• Funny
Reactions: gbailey
From the plate that is certainly the UK, so, t'would be the near side... (pedant here, also).
Nope Chamshaw is correct. In the U.K. Near side is the side closest to the kerb when driving on the left (passenger side).

The broken light in picture from OP is offside (driver side).

I know it’s weird, but as chamshaw stated, the term is in relation to the kerb, not traffic.

Reactions: WilliamG
Nope Chamshaw is correct. In the U.K. Near side is the side closest to the kerb when driving on the left (passenger side).

The broken light in picture from OP is offside (driver side).

I know it’s weird, but as chamshaw stated, the term is in relation to the kerb, not traffic.
Hmm where’s that humble pie when you need it. 👍🏻🤦🏻‍♂️

Technically, though, it’s not the side you mount or dismount (as Chamshaw suggests). It’s just kerb-side, then! 😅

Hmm where’s that humble pie when you need it. 👍🏻🤦🏻‍♂️

Technically, though, it’s not the side you mount or dismount (as Chamshaw suggests). It’s just kerb-side, then! 😅
Exactly 😅 like a lot of our long-standing driving lingo (and traffic laws) its derived from the past and barely logical in the present, but we continue to use it…. For reasons 😂. It’s something we have to do a theoretical exam on in the U.K. before we do our practical driving test too.

Exactly 😅 like a lot of our long-standing driving lingo (and traffic laws) its derived from the past and barely logical in the present, but we continue to use it…. For reasons 😂. It’s something we have to do a theoretical exam on in the U.K. before we do our practical driving test too.
I’m from the UK! Got my driver’s license there, so I’m well aware, lol! Been a while since I got mine (learned on a manual Nissan Sunny without power steering. Ah the good old days!).

From Brewer, 'near' stems from having a pair of horses drawing a carriage. The 'near' horse is the left one facing forward, the right horse is the 'off'. So there (and I said nothing about the kerb...).