Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Tires for 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1663794134817.png

Reactions: DrGriz
Last edited:
Reactions: whisperingshad
Oh man, you’d be pushing the limit with that. My guess would be some rub with stock gemini wheels. Im running 275/45r19 on stock gemini and theres no rub but my diameter is only 28.7inches whereas yours would be 29.4inches.

Interesting. I've seen other folks running with 255/50R19 (instead of 255/45R19). Are you thinking that the rub would be due to the increased width (to 265, when turning the wheel) or the increased diameter (to 50 instead of 45).

I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone: the increased sidewall to increase ride quality (50 vs. 45) and the increased width to avoid curb rash (265 instead of 255). Hence 265/50R19 on the stock Gemini's on my MYLR using stock suspension.

Thanks,

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Interesting. I've seen other folks running with 255/50R19 (instead of 255/45R19). Are you thinking that the rub would be due to the increased width (to 265, when turning the wheel) or the increased diameter (to 50 instead of 45).

I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone: the increased sidewall to increase ride quality (50 vs. 45) and the increased width to avoid curb rash (265 instead of 255). Hence 265/50R19 on the stock Gemini's on my MYLR using stock suspension.

Thanks,

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021
It's the overall diameter that im guessing could rub. And ive yet to read/see anyone running that sizing.

There has to be something besides the change to the Electric Drive GT tires causing that much of an increase in consumption. Perhaps there is a stuck brake caliper. Did you have an alignment done when you installed the Electric Drive GT tires?

Winter tires would yield better efficiency than 357 Wh/mi when it was at 295 Wh/mi with the OE tires.
Did the weather change or did you add extra weight to the vehicle? Wait till you have 4k on the tires and then look at the average. I saw a similar change with CC2s but after a couple thousand miles it's now about the same as the stock tires.

It's the overall diameter that im guessing could rub. And ive yet to read/see anyone running that sizing.
Thanks. This thread:

talks about 255/50R19 on Geminis, so the diameter of the 265/50R19 that I'm thinking of is OK. At this point, I just need to check into the width issue to see if 265 will rub on sharp turns.

Edit: nope. going from 255 to 265 width also increases the diameter from 29.0 to 29.4 inches. So I have to stick with 255/50R19. See Post #113.

Scott

--

Last edited:

Thanks,

Scott

--

it's both diameter (height) and width that must be considered, and then wheel offsets.
On my MYLR, in addition to the OEM Gemini set, I run a 2nd set of 18" BFG Trail-Terrain tires on M3 Aero wheels for some minor off-road needs that are 255/55/18.
The M3 18" Aero wheels were purchased for a song on this TMC site.
The tires just kiss the front wheel liners when at full lock (turn), leaving a 1"x1" rub patch.
That's not any big deal since you're never at speed when at full lock.

They most definitely provide a slightly more comfortable ride.
They are about the limit of tire diameter. The limiting factor is the front suspension steering knuckle. I think max would be 29.25 but that's pushing it.
To get better width clearance, you must consider a different wheel offset.

Use the website to help guide your tire selections.

Reactions: e645824
it's both diameter (height) and width that must be considered, and then wheel offsets.
On my MYLR, in addition to the OEM Gemini set, I run a 2nd set of 18" BFG Trail-Terrain tires on M3 Aero wheels for some minor off-road needs that are 255/55/18.
The tires just kiss the front wheel liners when at full lock (turn), leaving a 1"x1" rub patch.

They are about the limit of tire diameter. The limiting factor is the front suspension steering knuckle. I think max would be 29.25 but that's pushing it.

Ah... a wider tire also increases the diameter. I hadn't thought that was the case.

Thanks! I'll stick with putting 255/50R19 on my Gemini.

1664032430291.png

Link from tangible1 post #112.

Scott

--

Last edited:
Ah... a wider tire also increases the diameter. I hadn't thought that was the case.

Thanks! I'll stick with putting 255/50R19 on my Gemini.

View attachment 856433
Link from tangible1 post #112.

Scott

--

You should also be aware that many tire shops won't install non-std tire sizes, or will balk at the purchase or mounting request. Insurance reasons.
I told the shop to install ONE TIRE so we could test fit it.
When it was shown to fit, everyone was happy.

Reactions: e645824

You should also be aware that many tire shops won't install non-std tire sizes, or will balk at the purchase or mounting request. Insurance reasons.
I told the shop to install ONE TIRE so we could test fit it.
When it was shown to fit, everyone was happy.

The top knuckle in the front is the main issue. No real issues in the rear with going larger, other than matching tire sizes of course. However, if you change the offset or add spacers, you'll end up with more rubbing at the limits of steering. Then you need to do some body mods or be satisfied with a super limited steering radius. No changing that suspension piece, either, short of massive engineering and fabrication skills.

I have the 1.75 inch MPP lift kit installed and I wonder how that affects my options. Will the knuckle still be the limiter, or will I have a little more room for taller/wider? I might have to experiment I know, but if there's anyone out there who knows for sure...I would really like a little taller sidewall. Of course, 29s will fit, but could I go further or will it likely rub in a turn?

I have the 1.75 inch MPP lift kit installed and I wonder how that affects my options. Will the knuckle still be the limiter, or will I have a little more room for taller/wider? I might have to experiment I know, but if there's anyone out there who knows for sure...I would really like a little taller sidewall. Of course, 29s will fit, but could I go further or will it likely rub in a turn?
the front upper knuckle is the limiter.
you can measure the gap between your current tire and that knuckle to get some understanding of the room you've got.

the front upper knuckle is the limiter.
you can measure the gap between your current tire and that knuckle to get some understanding of the room you've got.
I put pics with a tape measure showing how much clearance is available in my thread referenced above as well.