Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Tires for 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Pirelli P7 has been, in one word, disappointing this past year. The 4.7% decrease in efficiency wasn't too bad but the tires progressively rode worse over time. They do seem to have 50% more tread left after 20K miles than the OEM tire and they cost less, but between the two I prefer the OEM tire. I still have 6/32nd tread left on the Pirellis but really don't like their ride and am considering replacing now with DWS06+.

OEM tire, August 2021 to August 2022, averaged 256 Wh/m (21,666 miles).

Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3, August 2022 to August 2023, averaged 268 Wh/m (20,042 miles).

• Informative
Reactions: Pianewman
I didn't want to drive with the Pirelli P7s for another year (~20K miles/year) and switched them out at 6/32nd for Continental DWS06+. The Pirellis probably would last 40K miles if I kept them. I expect the DWS06+ to be even less efficient than the P7's -4.7% vs OEM, but want to try an ultra-high performance tire for our MYLR.

America's Tire gave me $433 for the set of Pirellis, which I thought was generous. Coupled with another 5% off with the America's Tire credit card and it made the decision easier to switch tires early. DWS06+ being installed as I write this and will report back experience after the tires are properly broken in.

• Informative
Reactions: Pianewman
Father:

20k miles used on 70k mile warranty. 6/32 remaining of 11/32 factory. 28.5% of miles projected. and used 6 of 9/32 available, or 2/3 of available life used. Suggests you had 10k miles left, or 30K total life.

1) Yep, pretty good for America to warranty them at that point!
2) Tires are roughly $1.200, 30/70 is 42%, so 58% of that is what you didn't get, or $696. So maybe not such a great amount of credit.

Certainly interested in what you experience w/the Conti's. I too fear a range fall-off, but that's going to take some time to settle out so....

Luck to you, and thanks for the reports!

Father:

20k miles used on 70k mile warranty. 6/32 remaining of 11/32 factory. 28.5% of miles projected. and used 6 of 9/32 available, or 2/3 of available life used. Suggests you had 10k miles left, or 30K total life.

1) Yep, pretty good for America to warranty them at that point!
2) Tires are roughly $1.200, 30/70 is 42%, so 58% of that is what you didn't get, or $696. So maybe not such a great amount of credit.

Certainly interested in what you experience w/the Conti's. I too fear a range fall-off, but that's going to take some time to settle out so....

Luck to you, and thanks for the reports!
Thanks for the breakdown. I thought P7s started with 10/32nd, thus halfway through was my initial calculation assuming someone drives them to 2/32nd (which I don't do). But I also dont think tires wear linearly. The compound tends to get harder as they near the wear bars and ride harsher but last longer. The credit I received wasn't exactly proportional, true, but it was a lot more than I expected. In the past they either didn't give anything or only credited $25 per tire.

As for the DWS06+, I LOVE THIS TIRE!! First day and already racked up 100 miles! They definitely handle better and steering is sharper. There's this left-turn before home that always exhibited understeer from the P7s and even more so with the OEM tire. With the DWS06+ it was almost like the Y was oversteering and felt so much more planted throughout the turn.

The biggest difference though was the ride quality. The DWS06+ is so much more compliant over bumps and better dampened. Impacts felt muted and never harsh like the P7 or OEM tire exhibits.

Lastly, efficiency didn't take a nosedive like I expected. I was averaging between 266-270 Wh/m in 100-degree heat on the freeway, about what the P7 gets. The day continued to reach 108 degrees and I ended up averaging 298 Wh/m but that's with idling through a Chick-fil-a drive-thru. I'll need more miles to get a better idea of efficiency in normal weather but initially it doesn't seem too bad of a hit in exchange for a better handling, quieter, and much more comfortable tire. Due to the hot day tire PSI reached 47-48 PSI but the ride was still oh-so-comfortable. It reminded me of how my Lexus LS rides or previous Model S with the Raven air suspension. It's only been one day but I wish I went with the DWS06+ a year ago instead of the Grand Touring Pirelli P7s.

• Informative
Reactions: MattM24
FatherTo1: I like your detailed evaluation, but I'm wondering how much of the change in noise/suppleness could be the extra rubber? You were already into the harder rubber at 6/32", right?
I look forward to further reviews from you as you add miles.

Reactions: FatherTo1
FatherTo1: I like your detailed evaluation, but I'm wondering how much of the change in noise/suppleness could be the extra rubber? You were already into the harder rubber at 6/32", right?
I look forward to further reviews from you as you add miles.
True, and I wondered the same thing too. If memory serves me right, I don't recall the P7 riding this comfortably over broken pavement, crumbling asphalt, and railroad tracks. In warm weather the P7 rides better than the OEM tire, but I don't think the P7 ever rode as well as the DWS06+. I experimented with 38 PSI on both the OEM tires and P7s to improve the ride. I don't feel any adjustment is necessary with the DWS06+ and plan to keep the stock 42 PSI because it rides exceptionally well. I think the DWS06+ rubber is just a softer compound than the P7, or at least feels that way from the driver's seat.

For someone like me who traditionally buys grand touring tires for comfort, I'm absolutely shocked at how good the DWS06+ rides. I can't wait to put more miles on the tires and will report back once I get a better idea of efficiency.

Last edited:
Day 3 and 178 miles later the DWS06+ shows an uptick in energy consumption (301 Wh/m) compared to OEM and P7 at similar distance, weather, and routes. Efficiency should improve as weather cools off from these 100+ degree days.

Screenshot_20230817_133057_Samsung Internet.jpg

New Continental DWS06+ August 2023:
20230818_075124.jpg

Day 3 and 178 miles later the DWS06+ shows an uptick in energy consumption (301 Wh/m) compared to OEM and P7 at similar distance, weather, and routes. Efficiency should improve as weather cools off from these 100+ degree days.

View attachment 966220

New Continental DWS06+ August 2023:
View attachment 966221
Thanks for the info! I get the same numbers on my Procontact RX’s.
Do the DWS06 plus still ride as well as you thought one day 1?

Thanks for the info! I get the same numbers on my Procontact RX’s.
Do the DWS06 plus still ride as well as you thought one day 1?
Yep, still loving the ride and even more excited about driving the Y than usual.

You can also hear the difference in road noise, just more muted when going over bumps. There is a section of road I drive almost daily with railroad tracks across three lanes of traffic. The left-most lane produces a particularly harsh suspension crash when going over the tracks on the OEM and P7, so much so that I always avoid the left-most lane when crossing the tracks. It is a lot more tolerable going over the tracks with the DWS06+ and now I can pick whichever lane has less traffic and not worry about the hard landing. Definitely not my imagination when I say the DWS06+ provides a more luxurious ride than the OEM and Pirelli P7 tires.

No tire is perfect and I expect the DWS06+ will be less efficient, just not sure by how much yet. The DWS06+ though is definitely superior in comfort, quietness, and handling than OEM/Pirelli P7.

Yep, still loving the ride and even more excited about driving the Y than usual.

You can also hear the difference in road noise, just more muted when going over bumps. There is a section of road I drive almost daily with railroad tracks across three lanes of traffic. The left-most lane produces a particularly harsh suspension crash when going over the tracks on the OEM and P7, so much so that I always avoid the left-most lane when crossing the tracks. It is a lot more tolerable going over the tracks with the DWS06+ and now I can pick whichever lane has less traffic and not worry about the hard landing. Definitely not my imagination when I say the DWS06+ provides a more luxurious ride than the OEM and Pirelli P7 tires.

No tire is perfect and I expect the DWS06+ will be less efficient, just not sure by how much yet. The DWS06+ though is definitely superior in comfort, quietness, and handling than OEM/Pirelli P7.
Thanks! I think I might have to pick up a set in the spring.

What year is your Y? I have an early 2020 LR.

I just installed General RT45’s a couple weeks ago. The verdict is still out. Seems range may have taken a hit, but I just checked tire pressures, and they are all over the place 38,40,41,40psi. I’ll readjust to 42 or 44 and see if that helps. The ride is slightly better than the worn out factory Conti’s I replaced.

I got a full spring, summer, fall (2022), and spring and most of this summer out of the OEM Conti’s, which I thought was reasonable. I run designated winter wheels and tires for winter.

My 2020 Y with 20” Induction wheels went through three sets of tires (20” tires) for the two years I owned it. Two sets of the OEM Goodyear tires, and a month or so before I traded it in, I installed some Michelin MX4 primacy or whatever tires. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: MattM24 and DrGriz