Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe this helps. I'll report back once I've reinstalled the hepa filter as I'm out of town for a bit.
Took it out, vacuumed each crevice really well with a crevice tool, sprayed with Nextzett 96110515 Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioner Cleaner from Amazon deep into each crevice on the dark side and worked it in. Let that sit for an hour. I used at least half of the can and forced it into the material with some compressed air.
Then baked the filter for a couple of hours at 250 deg in the oven (make sure to but it on a clean rack or the white side of the filter will soak up any grease, which happened to me). Because of the grease I washed the white side with a carpet cleaner applied to the stsins then rinsed with hot water. Back in the oven and now it's sitting in the house waiting for my return.

In the meantime I took a 14x20 inch pleated air return filter (white with wire mesh) I had laying around and slid it into the filter housing mounted back into the car. I perfectly fits in there. Two little gaps were still on each side at the top but I stuck a a bit of foam/sponge in there. The way that filter bends in the housing perfectly presses it against the opening. This works absolutely perfect btw! Not sure if I'll even but the old filter back...anyway. The old Hepa filter smells perfectly fine and all the 'abuse' didn't hurt it at all it seems, but I'll see once it's installed again. I'll report back then.

It definitely is the dark side btw that smells, as someone above already mentioned. If my old filter still smells I'll just cut the dark filter out of the frame and hot glue a cut-to-size, top of the line house air filter in its place. They cost about 50 bucks, with charcoal layer. I could just buy a new hepa filter but I refuse to give Tesla 500+ dollars for a filter that won't survive one summer in the NC humidity. $150..no problem. I'll buy one every year but that $500 is rediculous.

On another note. There is no way that Tesla does not know where that sour smell comes from. It's typical Tesla BS for them to give you the runaround of replacing the cabin filter only or doing some ionizing at best.
Just state that you'll need a new hepa filter every year in the manual, and upfront when you sell a car into a humid climate. It's not that hard to manage expectations.

Ok..enough of that. I'll report back.

Reactions: Duke846
I refuse to give Tesla 500+ dollars for a filter that won't survive one summer in the NC humidity. $150..no problem. I'll buy one every year but that $500 is rediculous.

On another note. There is no way that Tesla does not know where that sour smell comes from. It's typical Tesla BS for them to give you the runaround of replacing the cabin filter only or doing some ionizing at best.
Just state that you'll need a new hepa filter every year in the manual, and upfront when you sell a car into a humid climate. It's not that hard to manage expectations.

Ok..enough of that. I'll report back.

This sort of surprise maintenance costs from a poorly designed "maintenance free" vehicle is what makes me really miss paying for an annual oil change.

I bought a can of Kool-it thinking the refresh is like the other cars. Realized the coil wasn't anywhere near the cabin filter after pulling it... I don't even know how it works with that big ass gap down there either. Are the coils accessible from the HEPA filter housing? Or should I spray it into the AC drain hose?

It's not the coil at all. Just take the hepa filter out from under the hood. Two bolts off the small battery, wiggle it down below the air tank, unplug the sensor (squeeze the back) and unlatch the housing. Easy.
Smell that dark side of your filter. The air will be clean smelling inside your car without the filter installed.

Reactions: NarTaX
It's not the coil at all. Just take the hepa filter out from under the hood. Two bolts off the small battery, wiggle it down below the air tank, unplug the sensor (squeeze the back) and unlatch the housing. Easy.
Smell that dark side of your filter. The air will be clean smelling inside your car without the filter installed.
I'll try to order one from Tesla. Part no 1750575-00-C was mentioned earlier. Maybe I'll try Lysol the filter in the meanwhile.

start with frunk open and power down your tesla.
remove the middle frunk panel (just pops out)
disconnect 12 volt lithium. Many YT videos on this.
with the 12v loose you can drop it down enough to get the housing off then then the filter.
loosen and don’t drop the 3 10mm bolts that hold it on.
The housing and filter behind the 12volt lithium have clips in them that are kinda self explanatory.
Feel free to PM me or even call. 405-532-0080 I will be happy to help.
I don’t believe tesla has a fix for this, unfortunate because it’s definitely the huge watersoaker front heapafilter Thats made out of recycled dog and horse hair.
This will explain why you get the smell really bad when it’s humid or rainy.

Finally got around to pulling the HEPA filter out. Dead simple like others have said, Duke's post above gives all the instruction that you'll need. Thanks BTW!

I can confirm that the musk was coming from the filter.

I can also confirm that both the cabin air filter and front HEPA filter are *not* compatible with pre-palladium Model S filters, and currently there are no aftermarket replacements for either filter anywhere.

Since I'm not paying Tesla $260 for an air filter I'm going to try saturating the thing in alcohol to kill whatever is growing in there, then give it a good rise to clean it out, then bake it in the sun until dried. I'll report back on whether or not this works out. Worst case, the HEPA goes in the trash and the cabin air filter gets to do all the filtering.

Finally got around to pulling the HEPA filter out. Dead simple like others have said, Duke's post above gives all the instruction that you'll need. Thanks BTW!

I can confirm that the musk was coming from the filter.

I can also confirm that both the cabin air filter and front HEPA filter are *not* compatible with pre-palladium Model S filters, and currently there are no aftermarket replacements for either filter anywhere.

Since I'm not paying Tesla $260 for an air filter I'm going to try saturating the thing in alcohol to kill whatever is growing in there, then give it a good rise to clean it out, then bake it in the sun until dried. I'll report back on whether or not this works out. Worst case, the HEPA goes in the trash and the cabin air filter gets to do all the filtering.
If you go the no-filter route I'd be careful. Any dust will cake on the coil when it's damp from condensation. I'd at least stick some filter media in the filter housing. A pleated 14x20 filter from a Hardware store works well. Just need to plug up the remaining small gap at the sides at the top. I've been running that setup for a week now. Works great.

That's a fair point. I've been mitigating the gym sock smell by ensuring the AC system is always set to recirculate cabin air. That's actually how I first figured out the front HEPA filter was the problem - the AC only stank when it switched itself to outside air (usually right when starting the AC) or if I ran bioweapon defense.

I anticipate that someday aftermarket filters will be available at a reasonable cost. In the meanwhile, it's either fix the filter the car came with or run it without a filter strictly on recirc to ensure the outside air damper stays closed.

WRT fixing the filter, the sun didn't get it done. In the oven now at 220F. The filter is fine with the heat by my god does it stink. I'm about to give up on the whole thing so my next baked good doesn't taste like gym sock.

I wonder if there's a cross reference with a reasonably priced filter with the same dimensions from another car or some other application. I mean, who really needs the HEPA filter? Maybe the Bubble Boy?? We survived a long time without HEPA filters in our cars.

Even if the dimensions were slight smaller, it wouldn't be too hard to adapt it to fit, or maybe use 2 smaller filters that add up to the total size.

Pulled the filter, had part number 1647254-00-A on top of it. It was dry and I couldn't really smell it. Sprayed 99% alcohol on it and let it dry out for a while and reinstalled. Rolled down the windows and blasted the air for a while to get everything out. I'll see how it smells tomorrow.
Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 8.41.47 PM.png

I wonder if there's a cross reference with a reasonably priced filter with the same dimensions from another car or some other application. I mean, who really needs the HEPA filter? Maybe the Bubble Boy?? We survived a long time without HEPA filters in our cars.

Even if the dimensions were slight smaller, it wouldn't be too hard to adapt it to fit, or maybe use 2 smaller filters that add up to the total size.
Find something close enough... cut out the old filter from the plastic frame and hot glue in the replacement.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
tesla is saying I should have a new filter by the 18th now. (I don’t believe them). Everyone, don’t throw away you front filters just yet. I was able to clean mine and dry it also while waiting for this new filter. I have a suspicion this problem may have a new filter for free fix in the future for S/X refresh owners.

Reactions: MFrunkerOG
tesla is saying I should have a new filter by the 18th now. (I don’t believe them). Everyone, don’t throw away you front filters just yet. I was able to clean mine and dry it also while waiting for this new filter. I have a suspicion this problem may have a new filter for free fix in the future for S/X refresh owners.
Interesting! As usual, my Alpharetta Ga service center wants to charge me $600 to replace the entire assembly. They’re so inept that they said the C part isn’t a fit for my car. They could tell which car it was a fit for.

I opened a service request asking to purchase the filter with 1647254-00-A as the part number. The cost is $260 before tax.
I thought the HEPA filter was now at revision C. I would definitely check with your service center to be sure it is the latest revision.

My SC has ordered a new "HEPA assembly" to help with this problem. They said they would schedule me when it arrives. I'll post the part number(s) when I get them. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: KITT 2.0
I thought the HEPA filter was now at revision C. I would definitely check with your service center to be sure it is the latest revision.

My SC has ordered a new "HEPA assembly" to help with this problem. They said they would schedule me when it arrives. I'll post the part number(s) when I get them. Fingers crossed.
1750575-00-C Is the entire housing; “HEPA assembly”. 1647254-00-A is the filter element