Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Center Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the factory center console never worked for me, I have looked for ways to better it to my taste. The existing solutions are of an unfairly cost vs quality ratio, or just do not resolve my needs.
Of what I did not personally like on the original console was the high of the arm rest, cup holder size/position, and storage space. And I consider it quite ugly.

So I am going the custom route. I just cant find a veneer match for the Obeche trim, so I plan to change all trim to CF.

This is my first attempt on making a custom console.
Hopefully I will be able to finish it this weekend. As this car is going for re-upholstery in April, I just placed black carpet on the sides for now.
Not only is a lot more comfortable for my elbow, it is great to have plenty of storage under the arm rest.

First pics:
Version1picA.JPG
Version1picB.JPG

Yes it opens. Plenty of space.Is not finished yet, so I just have things hanging there.
Just wired the USB, 12v, FOB antenna, and AC sensor. Still need to build a plate for the USB ports to the rear seats, mount the rear cup holder tray, and AC hoses.
The best part is how comfortable it is. Just did a small trip to Naples and we love it.
WAF is awesome.
Ordered few different cup holders I plan to embed in the mid deck next week. Sorry, I really need to stop taking crappy pictures at night.

20170306_220115.jpg
20170306_220222.jpg
20170306_220255.jpg

The console is a BMW F01 7-Series. The rear cup holder is Audi. Not a bad fit. Of course it will be even better once the upholster does his thing. We want the interior replaced with bentley bull saddle leather. No decision on the seats yet, but we may replace them also.

No computer originally in the center console.
Only cables and oddly a temperature sensor for the AC. Why Tesla placed that in the center console beats me. They know better, so I mounted it in as close as the original position as possible. There was also an antenna for the FOB key system.

I plan to add one computer there for the 360 video/Alexa/light control system, but I was not able to source an MB lvds adapter cheap enough to make me play with it. And I need to make sure the 12v circuit can be built to support this contraption.

Still looking for a source on Obeche veneer or even a a plank for the mid deck and trim.
Otherwise I will need to replace/redo the dashboard in CF.
Not bad, but I prefer the touch/feel of wood.

The console is a BMW F01 7-Series. The rear cup holder is Audi. Not a bad fit.
Of course it will be even better once the upholster does his thing. We want the interior replaced with bentley bull saddle leather. No decision on the seats yet, but we may replace them also. No computer originally in the center console. Only cables and oddly a temperature sensor for the AC. Why Tesla placed that in the center console beats me. They know better, so I mounted it in as close as the original position as possible. There was also an antenna for the FOB key system.
I plan to add one computer there for the 360 video/Alexa/light control system, but I was not able to source an MB lvds adapter cheap enough to make me play with it. And I need to make sure the 12v circuit can be built to support this contraption. Still looking for a source on Obeche veneer or even a a plank for the mid deck and trim. Otherwise I will need to replace/redo the dashboard in CF. Not bad, but I prefer the touch/feel of wood.

Well done ... great idea on using a BMW 7 series console. BMW 6/7 series wheels/tires are also a direct fit :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Looks very nice, but a pricey upgrade if you go with a "new" 7 series console for sure (even wholesale you are looking at over a grand for the base and then every panel/piece is separately priced so hundreds more). If you have the coin though, why not!?

I agree, and also your cost will greatly depend on how you do it.
You can get a complete second hand console in excellent shape for $500.
Sell the electronics you will not use for $400+. That was my case.
One must invest the time to find the right unit. Lot's of garbage out there. I can say I got lucky.
The worse is still building it on the car.
I was quoted $2K for a shop to do that alone, and decided to do it myself.
Two weekends invested. More patience than skills for that part.
Had to be sure I could revert all I did without consequences, JIC.
The garage is still a big mess ;)

Was it worth? For me a big yes. For some, may not.
You would need to see it in person and drive it for a bit to fully figure value to you.

Also, one would need to consider the 'want' factor.
Does it make financial sense to expend $10K on a leather interior? Absolutely not.
Will I do it? You bet I will.
Unless that pesky red P90DL continues to hijack my sleep. Then all bets are off.

Got the cup holders fitted, front & back, as well as lighting.
Still need to build a cub to be placed above the rear cup holders.
Wife blocked the Alexa Dot in the front deck, so it may just go stealth
I am still sourcing a better carpet for the side panels. The weaving pattern on my current carpet does not match the OEM Tesla.
Tempted here to replace it all for a proper grade carpet anyway. Will see.
Today I will meet with Eric at E3 upholsters to discuss next steps.

FrontCupHolder.jpg
RearCupHolder.jpg
RearCupholderOpen.jpg

• Love
Reactions: No ICE and lunitiks
Got the cup holders fitted, front & back, as well as lighting.
Still need to build a cub to be placed above the rear cup holders.
Wife blocked the Alexa Dot in the front deck, so it may just go stealth
I am still sourcing a better carpet for the side panels. The weaving pattern on my current carpet does not match the OEM Tesla.
Tempted here to replace it all for a proper grade carpet anyway. Will see.
Today I will meet with Eric at E3 upholsters to discuss next steps.

View attachment 219564 View attachment 219565 View attachment 219566
That looks amazing! Nice work!