Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing my wife's car with an EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is an issue for me. I have both Tesla and a diesel van (and a gas motorcycle). I always feel so stupid refilling the van; but getting an electric van is expensive as there is no used electric van here to buy . I do not mind refilling the motorcycle, maybe because I haven't yet experienced an e-motorcycle (Zero is still expensive and heavy).
Why would you feel stupid refilling a diesel van? Maybe if you put petrol in it 👍

Isn't it obvious? An electric van would be always charged from my garage, no visits of gas stations.
If that's how you feel then fair enough. We have 3 electric cars in our family now but my daughter (who recently passed her driving test) has a small petrol engine car. If I needed to stop for 5 min to fill it for her it wouldn't ruin my day.

We bought my wife's Yaris, 7 years ago. It was 1 year old and had 9,000 on the clock and t cost £8,990. It now has 30,000 miles on the clock and WBA bought the car for £8,000. So that's only £990 depreciation, unlike my Tesla model 3 that has lost £20,000 in 3 years! Only local servicing and MOT's have been required that have cost on average £140/year and there has been no other failures. Oh, and insurance has been less than £200/year.

As my wife has just been gifted a red 2019 Yaris, from her dad, however she did not like the colour, we decided to part-ex the car against a 2 year old black Yaris MK4, that was on sale for £17,490.

I picked the new car up yesterday and drove it home, down the motorway using the adaptive cruise control and the steering assist (Auto Pilot). I have to say, it performed as well as my Tesla, except without any nags or phantom braking. OK, the steering assist isn't as forcefully as the Tesla system, taking a few second to "lock in", but changing lanes was a breeze, without the bongs, etc. Also the car comes with auto lights, auto dipped lights, working auto wipers, etc, etc... and the build quality is top notch! Additionally, Android Auto (with a WIFI dongle) works great saving £9.99/month for premium connectivity.

I am now hopping that we get another 7 years, cheap motoring, out of this car and that it will be worth ~£17,000, when we come to sell it...

So why didn't we get a second EV, as there are plenty available (+700) at that price point on Auto Trader and we already have a charger fitted? Well,
  1. I can't see EV's depreciating less than an ICE car anytime soon, mainly due to the concern about battery life and the 8 year warranty period. You are always going to lose money on an EV, unless you are a high mileage driver.
  2. We probably will give this new car to one of our kids, in a few years time. None of them can afford to buy a house (or really run a car) and they have to live in places that don't lend themselves to having a charger fitted, like flats, house of multiple occupancy, etc. and it will be difficult for them to charge an EV.
  3. My wife only drives 2,000-3,000 miles a year, and at 60+ mpg the fuel will only cost ~£350/year, so there are not many savings to be had running an EV that would counteract the steep depreciation curve.
  4. Lastly, I think my wife will not have the patience, or foresight, to charge the car, once or twice a week. So she will be nagging me, when the car is low on charge and she needs to go somewhere...
In fact, one of my neighbours said, "That's probably the last car you wife will need." She is 64, and the car will certainly last 20+ years...
Well, I certainly started a discussion! I really thought we would be getting a second EV, as we have a double drive and charger so it should have been a no brainer. However, that's not what happened.

The bottom line is that some people aren't good with change, my wife being one. And as they say, "a happy wife, happy life" so not wanting a fight, I had to see the situation from her position;

1. She is used to a manual petrol car and is happy about how it drives, although she has now changed from a manual to a automatic hybrid car. Even if it was resented, as she saw changing gear as one of the skills she had learnt and was good at.
  2. Petrol stations aren't a problem for her and in fact with the new car they will be less frequent, about 9 times a year, given her low mileage, as this car is doing 60-70 mpg!
  3. Charging, even once/week would have meant reversing onto the drive (depending upon charging flap position). Something she hates doing.
  4. The charger cable would have had to be unwound a lot more, to reach her car, or we would have to swap car positions on the drive. That would have been a faff.
  5. Deprecation (and cost of ownership) with her old Yaris has been minimal, and it should be with the new Yaris, because new ICE car prices are rising due to cross subsides for EV production and that will be reflected in future used car prices. Many people, are like my wife and hate change and will want a ICE car, so the market will be strong for some years yet.
I imagine that the same thought process will hold true for the majority of the driving population of the UK, particularly as 50% don't have anywhere to charge an EV.

In conclusion, I predict the change over to EV's will be slower than expected, at least until they really can be driven as carefree as an ICE car. However, I still love my Tesla and its still the best car I've ever owned!

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I agree. I work with some very intelligent people (scientists)who seem to actually hate EVs. I get they aren't for everyone, so then don't buy one!!!
Most of us who've been around a good while have watched this play out with the internet, smartphones and many other changes: "Truth Passes Through Three Stages: First, It Is Ridiculed. Second, It Is Violently Opposed. Third, It Is Accepted As Self-Evident."

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Most of us who've been around a good while have watched this play out with the internet, smartphones and many other changes: "Truth Passes Through Three Stages: First, It Is Ridiculed. Second, It Is Violently Opposed. Third, It Is Accepted As Self-Evident."

Again, why the black and white view?

I really don't understand why people on both sides of the EV-ICE argument find it so hard to accept that different people like different things (and different people have different requirements and circumstances).

I have an EV for the miles that needs to be driven....and an ICE car to drive just for the joy of driving.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBadger
My wife did buy an EV.
I agree with @kelvin 660 the choice you make has to be right for your situation and lifestyle.
It’s no use buying something “green” if it it doesn’t fit the bill.
Wife’s car is the ‘dog carrier’. It does short journeys most of the time and a 40 mile round trip once in a while.
Max range is 175 (realistically 130). It has a worse drag coefficient than a skip. Useless as a primary vehicle but spot on for purpose.
She had a PHEV beforehand, so charged every day. No learning curve.

I think the OP was generally a very valid, individual take on the 'what car will best fit' debate we all go through.

As others have picked up though, the comparison between retention of an older car and a new car is not apples with apples. Pretty much all new cars will depreciate quickly over the first 3 years. That then tails off over time. There was also a period last year (in the UK) where good second hand ICE were fetching crazy high prices. I think that was down to the lack of supply of new cars which in itself was a knock-on of the Pandemic. I'm not sure that's still the case but I took the chance to sell my 2020 Audi Q3 Vorsprung (10k miles) and got £34k for it (£54k new). That is an unheard of level of depreciation. Yay!

The confusing bit in the OP is the suggestion that the the £17,490 Yaris will fetch £17k in 7 years time. I assume that bit was tongue in cheek.

Well, I certainly started a discussion! I really thought we would be getting a second EV, as we have a double drive and charger so it should have been a no brainer. However, that's not what happened.

The bottom line is that some people aren't good with change, my wife being one. And as they say, "a happy wife, happy life" so not wanting a fight, I had to see the situation from her position;

1. She is used to a manual petrol car and is happy about how it drives, although she has now changed from a manual to a automatic hybrid car. Even if it was resented, as she saw changing gear as one of the skills she had learnt and was good at.
  2. Petrol stations aren't a problem for her and in fact with the new car they will be less frequent, about 9 times a year, given her low mileage, as this car is doing 60-70 mpg!
  3. Charging, even once/week would have meant reversing onto the drive (depending upon charging flap position). Something she hates doing.
  4. The charger cable would have had to be unwound a lot more, to reach her car, or we would have to swap car positions on the drive. That would have been a faff.
  5. Deprecation (and cost of ownership) with her old Yaris has been minimal, and it should be with the new Yaris, because new ICE car prices are rising due to cross subsides for EV production and that will be reflected in future used car prices. Many people, are like my wife and hate change and will want a ICE car, so the market will be strong for some years yet.
I imagine that the same thought process will hold true for the majority of the driving population of the UK, particularly as 50% don't have anywhere to charge an EV.

In conclusion, I predict the change over to EV's will be slower than expected, at least until they really can be driven as carefree as an ICE car. However, I still love my Tesla and its still the best car I've ever owned!
Suggesting the intolerable burden of unwinding a cable is a 20% of your rationale gives me a good idea of the sum total.

Lots of people buy ICE cars, and will do for a long time yet. It would only really raise a disapproval if it was a new car as far as I'm concerned.

One thing I would suggest from my current experience with my MIL is the ability to adapt to new technology dramatically reduces with age. My MIL is still insisting on driving at 92 and feels it's essential to her living how she wants, by the time your wife is that age there won't be ICE cars around.

Reactions: btc1k
She wouldn't have to reverse onto the drive if you get a car with a charge port at/toward the front, like a Zoe, Leaf, MG ZS EV, or a HyunKia KoNiro.
Unfortunately the only EV she liked was the mini and the charging g flap is on the wrong side!
I didn't want her to get a mini again as it id only 2 door and she had a cooper that had a coolant leak (after a service when to gear change mechanism rubbed thru the pipe) that cost £4,500 to fix!
No help from the dealership or BMW, so it off my list of cars. The EV range isn't great either...

Unfortunately the only EV she liked was the mini and the charging g flap is on the wrong side!
I didn't want her to get a mini again as it id only 2 door and she had a cooper that had a coolant leak (after a service when to gear change mechanism rubbed thru the pipe) that cost £4,500 to fix!
No help from the dealership or BMW, so it off my list of cars. The EV range isn't great either...
Sorry to hear. Was the cooper under warranty at the time?

Sorry to hear. Was the cooper under warranty at the time?
Unfortunately, it was out of warranty. However, I believe, the problem was caused by a untrained BMW technician, although poor design didn't help. After that debacle we move to Toyota cars, as I was working a lot in Japan, and realised how good their build quality was. I never had one issue with that brand, apart from poor software, and was disappointed when they didn’t get into the EV market. That was 5 years ago though...

Again, why the black and white view?

I really don't understand why people on both sides of the EV-ICE argument find it so hard to accept that different people like different things (and different people have different requirements and circumstances).

I have an EV for the miles that needs to be driven....and an ICE car to drive just for the joy of driving.
Lots of people accept that "different people like different things" - but there's a significant portion of the population who don't - and that's not unique to EV or ICE owners. That's why the adage I shared should resonate, it's been true for centuries.

I don't try to evangelize EV vs ICE with anyone. And I don't care that some people can't help but criticize EVs while others criticize ICE - worry about things you can change and forget about the rest.

....After that debacle we move to Toyota cars, as I was working a lot in Japan, and realised how good their build quality was. I never had one issue with that brand, apart from poor software, and was disappointed when they didn’t get into the EV market. That was 5 years ago though...
My Daughter just sold her 14y old Yaris that we bought new for her. It never failed, passed almost all MOTs without issue (& even then at minimal extra cost), was cheap to run and she was more than happy with £2.8k as a private sale. Great cars.

Do you remember how much you paid for the new car? I guess it only cost ~£8K new!
Yes, we negotiated with the Toyota salesman & got it for slightly below that. I’ll never forget our Daughter’s reaction seeing the car wrapped in a red ribbon & a bottle of bubbly on the passenger seat (she has replaced it with a Lexus RZ & I must admit it’s a very impressive EV, lower efficiency than a Tesla but perfect for the sort of journeys it’s being used for)

Last edited: