Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Rear Glass after Stress Crack Formed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See below

Attachments

• 20200119_162640.jpg
    20200119_162640.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Helpful
Reactions: C141medic
So, I recently had a crack develop in my rear windshield as well. It started out about 12" and rapidly over a couple days spanned the entire glass.

I called the nearest Tesla Service Center and they gave me an appointment two weeks out (well, scheduled that on the app) but was told that it is not covered.

So, I have three questions for you all, being new to this stuff.
1. How do you reach someone for help? I have had no luck. In fact, the promised return call hasn't happened yet either.
2. How did you get them to agree to cover the glass replacement at no cost?
3. Must it be done at a Tesla Service Center? I am 2+ hours from the nearest one, not exactly convenient, although I can do it if need be.

Thanks in advance.
Don’t understand how they can tell you it’s not covered under warranty if they haven’t even looked at the glass. If it was me, I’d take it to Safelite or another auto glass repair shop for their advice. If they say definitely stress crack then I’d take that info with me to the SC.

When I had my rear glass issue, I had to pay my local service center a surprise visit to get someone to look at it in person and expedite a resolution. For whatever reason(s), the remote team that triages and schedules service appointments were not able to stay on top of the issue. When I had my rear glass crack, there was regional backorder of the rear glass, which added to the frustration.

Stress crack is definitely covered under the Tesla warranty. Here's a snip from my invoice, if it can help with your case -
BlQalun.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: C141medic
Wanted to add an update to this thread. I've now had my rear glass "backlight" replaced twice under warranty repair due to stress fractures during the cold winter months. Today I also had my windshield replaced for the same reason, a total of three glass replacements since owning the car - an average of one fracture per winter season. After bringing by my car the first time for the rear glass replacement, Tesla claimed that they've reformulated the glass, and that it should not occur again - but it did - precisely in the same location. This time an engineer came out to review the windshield, and used a ballpoint pen to verify that the fracture was internal by running it over the surface of the glass. He said my case was cut-and-dry and they proceeded with the warranty repair. The fracture extended from the upper left corner of the windshield in a diagonal line extending approximately 12-14 inches. I'm concerned what would appear to be an unusual number of glass fractures and so I wrote to Tesla's quality control group this week to see if they might have a more comprehensive response. The manufacturer of the glass on the new windshield is SAINT-GOBAIN SEKURIT, a German glass manufacturer and I may reach out to them with the same question as their name also appears on other glass panels around the car.

I am concerned that there may be stress caused by the frame itself which is bearing load on the front and rear glass panels. The rear panel cracked twice in the lower right hand corner (while facing the car from the front), while the windshield cracked in upper left corner. If, for example, the frame of the car is slightly out of tolerance might that not place additional stress on the glass in specific locations? I have no way of testing this theory, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen similar issues? I am really hoping this does not become a seasonal issue - it is a minor inconvenience, but each time it happens I am left without the car for a day or two and I don't know how Tesla might respond as the car approaches its Warranty of 50,000 miles or 4 years.

Stress Fractures Tesla Model 3 2018.png

I have a small crack about an inch long in rear glass. Submitted the repair request through the Tesla app. Just got the invoice to approve and they’re trying to charge me $758 to replace it. I sent them pictures. There’s clearly no evidence of impact/chip. Messages them back telling them it’s a manufacturing defect lots of people are experiencing (like they don’t know - they’re in Chicago). Waiting to see what they say back.

Attachments

• 8BB87D41-F3EC-458A-B702-29730557B099.png
    8BB87D41-F3EC-458A-B702-29730557B099.png
    254.3 KB · Views: 65
I have a small crack about an inch long in rear glass. Submitted the repair request through the Tesla app. Just got the invoice to approve and they’re trying to charge me $758 to replace it. I sent them pictures. There’s clearly no evidence of impact/chip. Messages them back telling them it’s a manufacturing defect lots of people are experiencing (like they don’t know - they’re in Chicago). Waiting to see what they say back.
Many times they'll list it as a charge, and when they look at it they'll cover it under warranty. Just how Tesla does it which is not great, because you're on the hook for the cost if it's not under warranty, and it's completely on their discretion.

Uggggh, fck! Second stress fracture on mine. Went almost three years after my last replacement. I have less than a year left on the warranty, and I'm getting that sinking feeling that it's just going to keep happening after the warranty is up.
sf1.jpg

Earlier builds had the full uv coating just noticable on the factory tinted section. For those with aftermarket tint that will illuminate the bottom portion as well making the entire glass light up so there are only 2 types of glass, those with the coating and those without. It's what I currently have but when my window was tinted he destroyed the defrost lines in a few areas so I need to replace the glass. I am hesitant bc the replacements do not have the orange hue but may just have to settle. Its unfortunate bc the glass really stands out.
I picked up my M3 in September 2018. Tesla wants to replace my Panoramic Backlight Glass because the center brake light is fogging.

Am I understanding correctly that the replacement (part # 1472925-99-C) won't have the UV coating that my current rear window has?