Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing rear lamps DIY anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any experience replacing the rear lamps on the Model S?

I am one of the many who want, INSIST, on amber turn signals.

So ... I have gotten a European SC to sell me a set of rear lamps, ship them to my Euro home, send them to myself in USA and have them retrofitted.

BUT, the Euro SC insisted I first check that my USA SC are willing to install them and do some sort of change to my car's "settings". They cost about $800. Plus shipping and VAT. So $10,000? :) They will not offer a refund if I cannot use them.

My USA SC refuses to do the work giving me no reason except maybe it's illegal? Illegal to retrofit Euro lights on a USA spec'd car? IMO these lights should be illegal to start with.

So I have to ensure myself that it can be done without Tesla's help.

The hatchback lights look like they are fixed on with 2 screws. The others, no such luck.

Has anyone (for any reason) done this?

I approached my local Tesla approved body shop and they told me it was too little work for them to be involved.

Problem also is ... would they even work without this "software mod"?

Why do they have to make it so difficult????????

(I did think yesterday - wondered if Canada used amber, in which case I thought crossing the border to get it done! No such luck :( )

I think you can free up the pigtail in the hatch and test the new light before you remove the original one. A little gamble about how long the wire is, but it’s likely to be long enough. Then you would know...

I’m having a hard time understanding what software change would be needed.

Just have to remove the four plastic trim pieces on the inside of the hatch to get access. You can see a good how-to on the threads about installing the illuminated “T”.

BTW. Admire your tenacity in getting the part. I’ve wanted to find a way to get the euro spec side view mirrors. At least in BMW world, they are aspherical (not a flat mirror), with an integral wide angle section on the outer edge.

479FBB8E-9C38-4442-AF1E-C78BC87E1DC9.jpeg
The Euro spec mirrors are flat on the inside and then wide angle on the outside. It gives a terrific field of view, and the linear inner part doesn’t distort perspective.

This is an example from a ford website. If you can get the glass (left and right) I would be very grateful and pay all the costs.

The dashed line running across the glass is the best clue that its different

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I just completed repair of a BMW rear door window actuator and it is considered simple but taking out the rear lights on a Tesla looks like high risk to me of broken parts, strange wiring and delays waiting for replacements. Amber turn signals would not be worth the trouble and expense for me.

If following drivers get the message from your red flashing turn lamps that's all that counts.

Just an opinion for your consideration.

Any update? Unfortunately, the 3 also has the 1940s throwback red turn signals, and they're tiny. At least the X uses amber for signal but red for brake in the same (tiny) segment. On the 3 its' a tiny brake light and a tiny turn signal. I'm actually kind of hoping it turns out that both color LEDs are in there, and it's just a software change, but whether or not it's possible to get that changed would be another story.

I'm not sure why they insisted on having such tiny brake/turn indicators on the 3 and X. At least the S has large ones.

View attachment 285661 The Euro spec mirrors are flat on the inside and then wide angle on the outside. It gives a terrific field of view, and the linear inner part doesn’t distort perspective.

This is an example from a ford website. If you can get the glass (left and right) I would be very grateful and pay all the costs.

The dashed line running across the glass is the best clue that its different
Yes. Never understood why we don't have these mirrors in the States. I'm overseas now and am reminded how useful that convex section is on the outer edge.

There is a vendor on ebay UK selling replacement mirror glass (with heaters and back plate), with a choice of plain, convex and aspherical mirrors. I don't know if they also have the split variety. Note that door mirrors from Europe won't have the "Objects in the mirror...." message.

As far as I can see, the wiring of the rear light assemblies for RHD and LHD Model S are identical, using the same connectors, with the same pinouts for the corresponding functions - the only exception is that one of the wires uses a different colour on both right and left sides (but the function is the same). The light assemblies in the applique are different in that North American cars have two reversing lights but European cars have one reversing light and one fog light - but again, identical connectors and pinouts are used. The service manual notes that assemblies are different for North American and European markets and that the body control software controls the different functions according to the market.