Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing W-speed rate tires with V-speed rated tires on M3L

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 M3L has a top speed of 140mph. The factory equipped it and all M3P with W-speed rated tires.
It turns out that W-speed rated tires have a completely different and softer rubber than V-speed rated tires.
V-rated tires are rated for 140. Also the warranty on V-rated tires is 50-60K, depending on the tire vendor where as
W-rated tires are rated, at best, at 25K.

Thoughts>

I don't think w or v rated matters, your not going to approach those speeds. Maybe a heavy use track driver could.

First you need to make sure your looking at XL load rated tires. The 3 is a heavy sedan.

Second the main aspect of miles is how sticky the tires are. Get a 200 or less tread wear tire and it won't last many miles but will have good grip. Get a 700 tread wear tire and it will last tons of miles but have less grip as well as possibly be more expensive.

Tires have lots of tradeoffs. I don't see any problem with V or W rated but you'll need to make sure its XL load rated and hits your other criteria. I suspect it's other characteristics of the tire that make it a good or bad choice, not the W or V rating.

I would not hesitate, and I've spent 40 years buying performance, luxury, and everthing inbetween. Load rating should be considered too, as should tire sizes, but all things can be worked around. Either become versed in the issues are get ahold of somebody that is. You might keep in mind the next owner and liability should you vastly under-tire the car, but that doesn't sound like your intent.