Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Report: Model Y to Be Built in Fremont, Model S Refresh Coming in September

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s Fremont, Calif. factory will receive a refresh to make way for production of the Model Y crossover SUV and an updated version of the Model S sedan, according to a report from CNBC.

Chief Executive Elon Musk has suggested that Model Y would be built in Fremont, but Tesla hasn’t officially announced that plan. Speaking on Tesla’s Q1 2019 earnings call, Musk said the company is still trying to make a “close call” on “whether Model Y vehicle production should be in California or Nevada,” referring the company’s Fremont factory or Gigafactory 1 in Sparks, Nev.

Tesla has “barely begun to place orders for new equipment to manufacture the Model Y,” employees told CNBC. Tesla has said Model Y will start being delivered in Fall 2020

Preparing for Model Y production in Fremont means Model S and Model X production would be combined into one line, CNBC reported.

Employees said the coming Model S update will include a minimalist interior similar to the Model 3, the same drive units and seats used in the higher-end Model 3, and a battery that delivers 400 miles of range on a full charge. Tesla aims to begin production on the new version of its flagship sedan in September, CNBC reported.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cmon. The post I was replying to asserted in the first two sentences that the X outsells the S. In what universe is that true? Am I wrong to call that out?
Looking at cleantech whatever it is, they have a chart and X and S sales are really close, with S being slightly ahead. It has not always been that way (since 2016 anyway that's where the chart starts). So yeah you are wrong to call that out because much of the time the X does outsell the S, at least in this universe.

Looking at cleantech whatever it is, they have a chart and X and S sales are really close, with S being slightly ahead. It has not always been that way (since 2016 anyway that's where the chart starts). So yeah you are wrong to call that out because much of the time the X does outsell the S, at least in this universe.
Let’s be fact based. I appreciate you referencing chart. However one quarter out of 13 is not “much of the time”. And I was not wrong to call out someone who was incorrect and using hunch vs data.

When I had researched it before, the MS outsold the MX up until the M3 was introduced.
Far outsold til then. Sine 3 started shipping in volume (spring 18) then it’s been neck and neck. So clearly 3 cannibalized S.

People who assert Tesla should have started with Y because C/SUV demand higher are missing an important factor. Demand for 3 was all Tesla could handle. They were smart to go stepwise. Seems to be working. IMO Y will far outsell ... at a point where Tesla has capacity to support it — I hope.

• Love
Reactions: Brando