Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Report: Model Y to Be Built in Fremont, Model S Refresh Coming in September

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s Fremont, Calif. factory will receive a refresh to make way for production of the Model Y crossover SUV and an updated version of the Model S sedan, according to a report from CNBC.

Chief Executive Elon Musk has suggested that Model Y would be built in Fremont, but Tesla hasn’t officially announced that plan. Speaking on Tesla’s Q1 2019 earnings call, Musk said the company is still trying to make a “close call” on “whether Model Y vehicle production should be in California or Nevada,” referring the company’s Fremont factory or Gigafactory 1 in Sparks, Nev.

Tesla has “barely begun to place orders for new equipment to manufacture the Model Y,” employees told CNBC. Tesla has said Model Y will start being delivered in Fall 2020

Preparing for Model Y production in Fremont means Model S and Model X production would be combined into one line, CNBC reported.

Employees said the coming Model S update will include a minimalist interior similar to the Model 3, the same drive units and seats used in the higher-end Model 3, and a battery that delivers 400 miles of range on a full charge. Tesla aims to begin production on the new version of its flagship sedan in September, CNBC reported.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bring on a refreshed S, I'm ready for an upgrade. I suspect it'll be interior only, and they hired the fella from Volvo quite a while ago, so hopefully he'll have some influence. There's a lot more margin in the S, so they can throw a bit more money at a premium interior....door pockets, vented seats, HUD, Qi charging, decent audio, etc etc etc. The drivetrain on any Tesla is years ahead of Audi, Merc etc. The interior is years behind, and if they want to snag current drivers of the traditional premium brands, they have to step up their game. My money is on something closer to the Roadster dash, less funky (but retaining the portrait display).

Then why would I need to DRIVE a model 3 if we’re talking about the LOOK of the dash?

I realize this is becoming a nonsensical conversation.
Let me be clear. I was speaking about the forward visibility afforded by the 3s “dashless” design. It is not like any other car. More like a motorcycle. You have to drive it to understand. You weighed in against and I asked you if you had driven it. You said no but you’ve driven a Prius. I replied nothing like a Prius. That’s how we got down this path.

I’m fine with anyone criticizing 3 layout,,, IF they’ve driven it. IMO anyone who hasn’t driven it cannot render a useful critique.

Bring on a refreshed S, I'm ready for an upgrade. I suspect it'll be interior only, and they hired the fella from Volvo quite a while ago, so hopefully he'll have some influence. There's a lot more margin in the S, so they can throw a bit more money at a premium interior....door pockets, vented seats, HUD, Qi charging, decent audio, etc etc etc. The drivetrain on any Tesla is years ahead of Audi, Merc etc. The interior is years behind, and if they want to snag current drivers of the traditional premium brands, they have to step up their game. My money is on something closer to the Roadster dash, less funky (but retaining the portrait display).

I realize that Tesla interior design is different, but I would not say years behind. Just different. And definitely not following the herd on every gadget. But leading by far on others (eg ventless HVAC, screen based controls).

I know there are vastly different opinions on this, but I rode recently in a friend’s brand new MB S class, and found the interior to be the culmination of ho hum... just like every other Euro sedan since the 80s, only more so. In 2 words, dated, comfy. I prefer minimalist, edgy, modern.

Yes on real cup holders, door pockets, coat hooks (things they’ve already relented on in 3). But if they go conventional on the rest, I will be very disappointed.

PS, ok to improve audio, especially media player and S rear speaker setup. But please keep the same high fidelity sound reproduction objective. Sound in most Luxo-sedans is too engineered and colored.

Let me be clear. I was speaking about the forward visibility afforded by the 3s “dashless” design. It is not like any other car. More like a motorcycle. You have to drive it to understand. You weighed in against and I asked you if you had driven it. You said no but you’ve driven a Prius. I replied nothing like a Prius. That’s how we got down this path.

I’m fine with anyone criticizing 3 layout,,, IF they’ve driven it. IMO anyone who hasn’t driven it cannot render a useful critique.
I don’t see why driving the car is required to critique the look of it. But ok.
By the way it is very similar to a Prius.
I’ve sat in a model 3 at our local service center. Didn’t like it. In fact I hated it
If the refresh model s is anything like the model 3 inside then I’ll stick to a used model s

Heck the way tesla is going right now, I might even move on to a different car brand.

I don’t see why driving the car is required to critique the look of it. But ok.
By the way it is very similar to a Prius.
I’ve sat in a model 3 at our local service center. Didn’t like it. In fact I hated it
If the refresh model s is anything like the model 3 inside then I’ll stick to a used model s

Heck the way tesla is going right now, I might even move on to a different car brand.
Certain not your prerogative! Good luck

I already owned a Tesla 3 wishing to get a Tesla SUV, but the "Y" is just another Tesla 3 with higher profile! Why don't they design a real SUV (ie Mazda -5 shape)?

Boxy SUVs would not match with Tesla design language of being sporty versus utilitarian.

I have a BMW X3 and it is nice, but sporty looking is the last thing it is. Especially when it is parked next to my Model X.

I did a 24 hour test drive. The extra visibility didn’t do much for me. Maybe more like a motorcycle, but nothing close to a motorcycle. I like the interior of the Model S better.

The expectation is that these cars will spend most of their time on autopilot. You won't be looking at the road much less the instrument cluster.

I really think that Elon has created a bunch of unrealistic expectations. There are a lot hurdles left to jump before you'll be able to take your eyes off of the road "most of the time". And not all of the hurdles are technical; they're legal, regulatory, etc. My opinion is that you're still looking at at least 20 years.

Certainly the performance of NoA hasn't done anything to change my mind. Kudos to Tesla for making a solid attempt, but performance iffy at best. Certainly it doesn't make me feel that I can just relax and let the car take care of lane management. And that's on multi-lane divided highways - the simplest of all possible situations.

I really think that Elon has created a bunch of unrealistic expectations. There are a lot hurdles left to jump before you'll be able to take your eyes off of the road "most of the time". And not all of the hurdles are technical; they're legal, regulatory, etc. My opinion is that you're still looking at at least 20 years.

Certainly the performance of NoA hasn't done anything to change my mind. Kudos to Tesla for making a solid attempt, but performance iffy at best. Certainly it doesn't make me feel that I can just relax and let the car take care of lane management. And that's on multi-lane divided highways - the simplest of all possible situations.

That's nothing new, is it? Lol.
If that's truly the realistic expectation of the company, the result won't be pretty. Between the limitations of AP, and the assumption(s) made by the average new Tesla owners based on Musk's wild proclamations, accidents will increase. I've driven my boss/friend's S many, many times and love the AP, because I know what to look for. My boss, being an older guy, almost got into an accident, that scared him shitless and he hadn't used it ever since. Oh, and the OTA updates, you know the one that Tesla touts as being a big plus over ICE cars, usually introduce as much bugs as improvements, so it's debatable if it's such a big deal.

That's nothing new, is it? Lol.
If that's truly the realistic expectation of the company, the result won't be pretty. Between the limitations of AP, and the assumption(s) made by the average new Tesla owners based on Musk's wild proclamations, accidents will increase. I've driven my boss/friend's S many, many times and love the AP, because I know what to look for. My boss, being an older guy, almost got into an accident, that scared him shitless and he hadn't used it ever since. Oh, and the OTA updates, you know the one that Tesla touts as being a big plus over ICE cars, usually introduce as much bugs as improvements, so it's debatable if it's such a big deal.

Yes to the first bit. But I don't think accidents will increase. I would say it's saved me at least one fender bender. AND Most people will figure out the limitations pretty quickly, once you have the car.

The OTA updates are definitely a big deal though. As cars become increasingly digital, they will increasingly ship with bugs and stupid UI decisions. The OTA updates lets the OEM fix those issues cheaply. I know not everybody will agree, but I thought that my 2014 was a much better car in 2018 when I traded it in, than it was when I first got it.

Let me be clear. I was speaking about the forward visibility afforded by the 3s “dashless” design. It is not like any other car. More like a motorcycle.

One complication with this is the Model 3 has a lower cowl than the S, which is why you can see so much more of the road. From where I sit in my S, the cowl is at the same visual height at the dash, so lowering the dash won't help at all. To give the S the same motorcycle-like view of the road as the 3, it will need a 3-like nose - short and low. Maybe that's the plan, but then the new S really will look like a bigger 3, and what's the point of that?

I also like the buttons on the bottom of my screen. Easier to reach than the top, and I can steady my hand by placing my middle finger on the bottom lip while using my index finger to select a button. And it's almost become muscle memory to do it without looking.

I already owned a Tesla 3 wishing to get a Tesla SUV, but the "Y" is just another Tesla 3 with higher profile! Why don't they design a real SUV (ie Mazda -5 shape)?

Because then the range will suck, just like it does in the i-Pace, e-Tron and EQC. Until they make more efficient batteries, aero shape is still critical to usable range.