Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Report: Model Y to Be Built in Fremont, Model S Refresh Coming in September

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s Fremont, Calif. factory will receive a refresh to make way for production of the Model Y crossover SUV and an updated version of the Model S sedan, according to a report from CNBC.

Chief Executive Elon Musk has suggested that Model Y would be built in Fremont, but Tesla hasn’t officially announced that plan. Speaking on Tesla’s Q1 2019 earnings call, Musk said the company is still trying to make a “close call” on “whether Model Y vehicle production should be in California or Nevada,” referring the company’s Fremont factory or Gigafactory 1 in Sparks, Nev.

Tesla has “barely begun to place orders for new equipment to manufacture the Model Y,” employees told CNBC. Tesla has said Model Y will start being delivered in Fall 2020

Preparing for Model Y production in Fremont means Model S and Model X production would be combined into one line, CNBC reported.

Employees said the coming Model S update will include a minimalist interior similar to the Model 3, the same drive units and seats used in the higher-end Model 3, and a battery that delivers 400 miles of range on a full charge. Tesla aims to begin production on the new version of its flagship sedan in September, CNBC reported.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2017 X and 2018 Model 3.

I like the UI in the 3 as I only have to look at one location to get data. The only drawback for me is the need to go to a screen to open the glove box. I like the fact that the dashboard is empty, which just screams "new technology".

That said, the S is a luxury car, and perhaps as a nod to history (and older purchasers), retaining and simplifying the "dashboard" display while moving more (speedometer) to the center screen would be a good compromise. Also, I suggest (plead?) to adopt the gear selector/cruise control of the 3 as it is easy to use and eliminates one switch mechanism from the steering wheel column (makes my old manufacturing heart beat faster).

I am a retired (engineering/manufacturing) senior citizen, rejoicing in being able to enjoy the Tesla driving experience.

Reactions: BBone
I'm sure it's easy to get used to. I sat in a 3 in a show room multiple times (this was before they were giving test drives) and really wanted to make it work, as the 3 was the perfect size for me and the price was more in line with what I typically pay for cars. And early reviews from former MS owners said it was an easy transition. But in the end, it reminded me too much of the screens sticking up out of the dash of equivalent BMW, Audi, and MB ICE vehicles, which I always felt were tacked on as afterthoughts. I almost cried when they first revealed the dash on the 3 - "oh no - they are copying the Germans but on overdrive!"

So yeah a lot of my reaction is just aesthetics. But your dash is the thing you spend all your time seeing while you drive.

You should not need to look at the dash. That is why a HUD is so important. On my BMW X3 the HUD has speed, traffic, navigation, etc. Your eyes stay outside the car so you never look down at the dash and look to a nasty surprise. I really wish my Model X had a HUD.

I was a bit skeptical of the single screen idea at first. But I'm warming to it. If you think about it, driver's consoles are holdovers from the days when you needed a lot of information as a driver. The engines and systems were complex, unreliable and you needed to know what was happening before it led to a seized engine or something similar.

On an EV, what do you really need to know right now? Speed, arguably remaining range but nothing much else. Yes you want nav, audio, vehicle settings, fault information and such - but it's nicer to go to the large center console for that anyway. In my mind, it's probably brilliant to kill the driver console paradigm and provide a better view of the road ahead.

I'm definitely willing to give it a chance. And I predict that all cars will be like that in 20 years.
How short are you that the console is blocking your view of the road?

The fact is a center display is safer than a single screen in the middle.
It’s much easier to see the important info such as speed and remaining range.

It protruding out of your dash like a mushroom doesn’t bother you?

What is wrong with looking like a mushroom...?:D

Toad_3D_Land.png

I'm sure it's easy to get used to. I sat in a 3 in a show room multiple times (this was before they were giving test drives) and really wanted to make it work, as the 3 was the perfect size for me and the price was more in line with what I typically pay for cars. And early reviews from former MS owners said it was an easy transition. But in the end, it reminded me too much of the screens sticking up out of the dash of equivalent BMW, Audi, and MB ICE vehicles, which I always felt were tacked on as afterthoughts. I almost cried when they first revealed the dash on the 3 - "oh no - they are copying the Germans but on overdrive!"

So yeah a lot of my reaction is just aesthetics. But your dash is the thing you spend all your time seeing while you drive.
By not integrating the screen into the dash and ditching the IC, Tesla was able to drop the height of the dash a significant amount. This made road visibility far superior than in the S or X. That fact alone makes the Model 3 style dash worth it.

No it isn’t. Your eyes move about the same amount with either setup. In one you move your eyes down; the other has you look slightly right. Thanks to that lower dash, you can still see the road fine.

:) I can see the road just fine in my S. But, all other things being equal, better visibility is just better.

I don't know that I agree about the center console. You're still changing your focus away from the road, and it's not like I check my speed every 5 seconds. Shifting your gaze a bit to the left seems a bit immaterial. Honestly, a HUD would be ideal. But, absent that, I don't see moving the speedo to the center display being a big issue.

And, if you really look at it, most of the stuff on the center console is a bit pointless fluffery. I suppose seeing an image of what the car sees in kindof neat, but if anything it's a distraction.

The primary issue with mass adoption is your first sentence. That's the view point of just about anyone I've talked to that isn't a diehard Tesla fanboi. When I ask people if they've ever been in one the ones who say "yes" usually follow that response up with something along the lines of "I hated the inside because it was so plain and the screen in the middle looks like someone just glued a tablet on the dash" which is off-putting to a lot of people.

Most of these same people don't even realize there are different models of Teslas and that one of them is more of a traditional dash layout like they're used to. They just go on to tell everyone their personal experience with a Tesla.

Much like the "refresh" was actually the first design but they added the nose cone to early Model S because focus groups weren't keen on the design they need to keep the Model S/X the way it is currently laid out to have different options. The Model 3/Y appeals to younger people while the Model S/X is more of the older generation car kind of like other manufacturers do with their lower priced models.

Model 3 was all about cutting costs and a second display adds a lot of cost to an otherwise inexpensive car. I personally believe they'll keep the 2nd gauge display for all of the reasons I mentioned above. This idea that they're just going to make every vehicle exactly the same as the Model 3 moving forward is kind of silly.

There is some truth to what you say. But on the opposite side of the coin is the group of people that want something cool and different. I think it's a bit like the iPhone/Blackberry keyboard debate. My first reaction was "no keyboard" - that's nuts. But in-fact it was prescient.

A lot has to do with Tesla's power as a market leader and trend-setter. If Tesla has enough "trend-setter appeal" to make the celebrities and other influencers decide that a simple/spartan interior is the next, cool, modern thing, then that will draw in the younger demographic. And once that happens the entire bandwagon will follow with Tesla at the head of the line.

Does Tesla have the market power to do that? Maybe. Certainly GM or Ford couldn't pull it off. Tesla just might.

Ideally you want to be sitting high enough to see the hood of your car, which means the dash has no impact on your visibility
If you were sitting low enough to where the dash is obstructing the view of the road then I can see your point.
This is all true, but have you driven a 3? The visibility is amazing. It’s like a motorcycle. Well worth the screen location trade off. Unless you are a mushroom hater of course. :)

This is all true, but have you driven a 3? The visibility is amazing. It’s like a motorcycle. Well worth the screen location trade off. Unless you are a mushroom hater of course. :)
I don’t know what a “mushroom hater” means
I have not driven a model 3, but I have driven a Prius before which has a similar dash layout
I did not think the model s dash was obstructing my view when I switched to the model s

There is some truth to what you say. But on the opposite side of the coin is the group of people that want something cool and different. I think it's a bit like the iPhone/Blackberry keyboard debate. My first reaction was "no keyboard" - that's nuts. But in-fact it was prescient.

A lot has to do with Tesla's power as a market leader and trend-setter. If Tesla has enough "trend-setter appeal" to make the celebrities and other influencers decide that a simple/spartan interior is the next, cool, modern thing, then that will draw in the younger demographic. And once that happens the entire bandwagon will follow with Tesla at the head of the line.

Does Tesla have the market power to do that? Maybe. Certainly GM or Ford couldn't pull it off. Tesla just might.

Why bother make the Model S or X anymore if they're just all going to be exactly the same?

Different people have different tastes and making them all identical with slightly larger dimensions is cutting off the differences that drive different buying motives. Sure there's outliers but by and large human psychology is human psychology. There's a large group of people who like the idea of EV and all that Tesla offers but some things are just TOO much change for them to be comfortable with. These people also tend to have the most money of any segment of the population: Older folks.

I, for one, will stick with 2019 and earlier Model S much in the same way I don't want a Model X. I just don't like the way they look. Others do and I can see why and don't think they need to make the Model X more like the Model S just because I like it better but that's how many who own Model 3's think. I still don't get that.

There's a reason well-established vehicle manufacturers gravitate towards making their entry-level cars the more edgy version and their higher-end cars tend to be more classic and timeless. They're geared towards their individual buying segments and it's the wise thing to do. You can disrupt all you want but fighting basic human buying motives will be a losing battle overall.

This is great news. The S looks rather outdated sitting next to the 3 in a showroom. The renders that I saw a few months back had the ‘HUD’ as a small screen in front of the driver and passenger in the air vent area... perfect solution (though definitely unnecessary, imho) without ruining the modern, minimalist look that tesla is quickly becoming associated with.

Why bother make the Model S or X anymore if they're just all going to be exactly the same?

Different people have different tastes and making them all identical with slightly larger dimensions is cutting off the differences that drive different buying motives. Sure there's outliers but by and large human psychology is human psychology. There's a large group of people who like the idea of EV and all that Tesla offers but some things are just TOO much change for them to be comfortable with. These people also tend to have the most money of any segment of the population: Older folks.

I, for one, will stick with 2019 and earlier Model S much in the same way I don't want a Model X. I just don't like the way they look. Others do and I can see why and don't think they need to make the Model X more like the Model S just because I like it better but that's how many who own Model 3's think. I still don't get that.

There's a reason well-established vehicle manufacturers gravitate towards making their entry-level cars the more edgy version and their higher-end cars tend to be more classic and timeless. They're geared towards their individual buying segments and it's the wise thing to do. You can disrupt all you want but fighting basic human buying motives will be a losing battle overall.

The reason to favor the X over the S is the sales numbers. The X outsells the S. The X's more upright seating position makes it easier to get in and out of than the S. My 60-something back really appreciates this. And then when I sit, having a bend in my knees is more comfortable than having legs straight out, and also better for my aching back.

And for younger people with families, the X is a better fit. Taking the kids to a from that quintessential soccer game is easier with an X, and there is more room to stow the associated gear like folding chairs and tables, awnings, and ice chests.

This is obviously the way American tastes are going and is the reason Ford and now GM are killing most sedans in favor of SUV/CUVs.

Tesla, IMHO, made a serious mistake with the 3 and Y. They should have brought out the Y first. As it is now, Tesla is suffering the Osborne effect from the Y announcements. With potential 3 buyers (younger people, especially families, with less disposable income) holding onto their money knowing the Y is coming, instead of buying the 3. Hopefully Tesla will survive this major screw up, but if not, at least the cause of death will not be hard to determine.

The reason to favor the X over the S is the sales numbers. The X outsells the S. The X's more upright seating position makes it easier to get in and out of than the S. My 60-something back really appreciates this. And then when I sit, having a bend in my knees is more comfortable than having legs straight out, and also better for my aching back.

And for younger people with families, the X is a better fit. Taking the kids to a from that quintessential soccer game is easier with an X, and there is more room to stow the associated gear like folding chairs and tables, awnings, and ice chests.

This is obviously the way American tastes are going and is the reason Ford and now GM are killing most sedans in favor of SUV/CUVs.

Tesla, IMHO, made a serious mistake with the 3 and Y. They should have brought out the Y first. As it is now, Tesla is suffering the Osborne effect from the Y announcements. With potential 3 buyers (younger people, especially families, with less disposable income) holding onto their money knowing the Y is coming, instead of buying the 3. Hopefully Tesla will survive this major screw up, but if not, at least the cause of death will not be hard to determine.
Is this based on sales numbers or just an uninformed opinion?

The X didn’t outsell the S until the 3 came along. The Tesla sedans outsell the X by a huge margin.