Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Report: Tesla Swapping Nvidia Chips For Intel To Power Infotainment System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is reportedly swapping the chip used for its infotainment system from Nvidia to Intel.

The report from Bloomberg quotes people familiar with the plans saying Tesla’s Model 3 and all other new vehicles will receive the Intel modules. Nvidia, Intel and Tesla declined comment to Bloomberg.

An interesting note regarding the potential partnership is that Intel completed a deal last month to acquire Mobileye, Tesla’s former supplier of the camera vision system used in its Autopilot self-driving efforts. The Tesla and Mobileye split was a bit messy, with an executive at the Mobileye accusing the automaker of “pushing the envelope in terms of safety.” But, it seems Tesla may be willing to look past its bad blood with Mobileye to leverage Intel chips.

Nvidia’s chips currently power Tesla’s Autopilot 2 system, however there has been some speculation that Tesla is working on a chip of its own design that could potentially be manufactured by another vendor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: roscoe
Is it? I guess your Google-Fu is more powerful than mine :) I couldn't find any reference on it whatsoever that confirms what architecture it is. I see it exists, but that's about it.

Mind you, I'm not willing to put in more than a few minutes of searching, so I'll just take your word for it.

I mentioned some of what I found above: #35

It's the BSP codename for Apollo Lake Atom SoCs…

Re: [yocto] [meta-intel] How to build module iasImage from bzImage outside yocto

Code:
> After building the bzImage from an external toolchain is it possible to build
> (outside yocto) the iasImage necessary to boot the Gordon peak (Intel Apollo
> lake SoC).
>

My point isn't that it isn't going to Intel... its that Intel makes ARM processors too.

And I can't really agree that speculation turns out to be true more often than not. A year ago, just about everyone was certain that the Model 3 would have a HUD. I'd say 90% of Tesla related speculation turns out to NOT be true, but I guess it depends on the source.

There are still those of us who don't believe the last of the HUD story is told. It is possible it is a real project and the only thing remaining to see is how and then it is ramped up to the models... I mean, lack of an instrument cluster and a very low dash certainly would jive well with a massive HUD...

I am not convinced the "spaceship" controls have been seen yet.

That said, there are of course episodes in Tesla history that were very much real, but simply were never released such as the AP "1.5"...

Is Model X (or was?) getting an "AP 1.5" before full-autonomous "AP 2.0" suite upgrade?

It is possible that a half or two thirds of windshield covering HUD was in the works but never gets released, too.

Frankly, I think most rumors have some truth to them. But how they play out, that is always the biggest guessing game...

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
Should we be worried that Tesla need to upgrade AP1 cars with new hardware because of Spectre? From my reading Tesla's are susceptible to the Spectre security vulnerability. When Microsoft fixed their computers they said it would slow them down. I was under the impression that AP1 cars were about maxed out and I think slowing them down would be really bad. Should I be worried about this or will the fix coming later this month not be that big of a deal?

Should we be worried that Tesla need to upgrade AP1 cars with new hardware because of Spectre? From my reading Tesla's are susceptible to the Spectre security vulnerability. When Microsoft fixed their computers they said it would slow them down. I was under the impression that AP1 cars were about maxed out and I think slowing them down would be really bad. Should I be worried about this or will the fix coming later this month not be that big of a deal?

I wouldn't be very concerned about Spectre on Teslas. Note that they do not allow anyone to run native code on it (e.g. no 3rd party apps), so the only venue of attack is via the web browser, and so far these attacks can be minimized on the Javascript side by making timer resolution suck.

• Funny
Reactions: Trips and lunitiks
The real reason to upgrade the MCU on AP1 through AP2.5 is that the Model 3 makes the performance of Xs and Ss look like a joke. Given how much purchases of these cars help enable Model 3 production, I am expecting an Intel MCU with retina screen upgrade to be made available to current owners. Pehaps we could all tweet our approval of this idea to Elon.

The real reason to upgrade the MCU on AP1 through AP2.5 is that the Model 3 makes the performance of Xs and Ss look like a joke. Given how much purchases of these cars help enable Model 3 production, I am expecting an Intel MCU with retina screen upgrade to be made available to current owners. Pehaps we could all tweet our approval of this idea to Elon.

Tell me about it! This screen laaaags...