Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REQUEST TO TESLA: CONTINUE USB MUSIC PLAYBACK ON CAR RESTART

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Model 3 still doesn't restart USB (flash drive) music playback when you lock the car then get back in.

I really want to be able to have my tunes go back to where they left off when I get back in for the next drive.

My old LEAF did that.

The Model 3 sound system only seems to restart other sources, but not the USB.

Mine does.

What? Really? I think I have the latest firmware (v8.1 2018.16.2.43040e6) on my brand new model 3 and it doesn't restart.

Do you have a Bluetooth paired phone? I wonder if that overrides the USB?

Did you do anything special to make the USB be preferred?

Maybe it has something to do with the layout of songs on the flash drive?

What? Really? I think I have the latest firmware (v8.1 2018.16.2.43040e6) on my brand new model 3 and it doesn't restart.

Do you have a Bluetooth paired phone? I wonder if that overrides the USB?

Did you do anything special to make the USB be preferred?

Maybe it has something to do with the layout of songs on the flash drive?
It’s a known bug for model X and not the S. It looks like the model 3 is carrying that bug from the X. Sadly I want to inform you that I reported this bug in late 2016 and 2017. It’s been more than 1.5 years and nothing has been done. Hopefully with more model 3 on the road we can force them to do something about it.

TEG.......no bluetooth paired iPhone. Don't do anything special.
It also worked on my 85D when other were complaining.
Did you do a Fat32 on the stick?
Maybe it has something to do with the brand of the stick. Mine is a mini 32Gb Sandisk bought 3 years ago.

Maybe it has something to do with the brand of the stick. Mine is a mini 32Gb Sandisk bought 3 years ago.

Currently Fat32 128GB flash.
Are your files in folders or just flat in one directory?
Are your files MP3 format? FLAC? WAV?

Well, for the first time ever it resumed from USB this morning ! o_O So I can tell it is trying.

Only difference I can think it is resumed to a WAV file from a ripped CD instead of my usual MP3 or Flac files I am playing.

There must be something with directory layout and/or file type that has something to do with this.

Last edited:
Well, for the first time ever it resumed from USB this morning ! o_O So I can tell it is trying.

Only difference I can think it is resumed to a WAV filed from a ripped CD instead of my usual MP3 or Flac files I am playing.

There must be something with directory layout and/or file type that has something to do with this.
I've had it resume USB twice in 10 days of ownership. I couldn't decipher any unique conditions that cause it to resume. All files are .mp3 and are scattered throughout folders and subfolders. I unpaired my phone from the car a couple days ago, but it still won't resume USB play. But I should mention that I've only tried a couple times since then. I mostly leave it on Slacker since it will resume playing.

I just went back to my car to fetch something and as I left, the phone in my pocket started to play music even though the sound button was off.
So the car cause my phone to resume playing music (directly from the phone) even though I didn't even sit down in the car, and wasn't using the car audio.

I wish there was a way to tell the car "I only want bluetooth on the phone to be used for phone calls, not for music playback."

I just went back to my car to fetch something and as I left, the phone in my pocket started to play music even though the sound button was off.
So the car cause my phone to resume playing music (directly from the phone) even though I didn't even sit down in the car, and wasn't using the car audio.

I wish there was a way to tell the car "I only want bluetooth on the phone to be used for phone calls, not for music playback."

That may be an option on your phone. My S8 has a setting for "media audio" over BT, which is separate from the calling option.

My car resumes playing from the USB most of the time when I open a non-driver door. When I shut it and open the driver's door less than 15 seconds the music will be stopped, and I have to go through the menu to select a song (nothing shows up on the current playlist).

I've only had my Model 3 for a couple of weeks now and I'm still trying to get it configured. One problem I'm having that I can't seem to find mentioned in the manual is how to configure the media player to startup and continue playing where it left off. Right now, every time I get in the car, the media player is off and I have to go through a number of screens to get back to my playlist and start things up. I've searched around the forums and see a number of issues regarding the Media Player but didn't find anything about an "always on" option.

Thanks,
Dave

The USB audio system is seriously borked in its current manifestation. No, there's no way to get it to remember where it was and restart there, unless your lucky. My experience is that it works maybe once in every 5 starts. And that's just one of the many issues with it. Hopefully they'll completely redo it in one of their updates. Send feedback on this via the Ask A Question form in your account page.