Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REQUEST TO TESLA: CONTINUE USB MUSIC PLAYBACK ON CAR RESTART

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for reference, the music USB stick operation (or random lack thereof) and as noted in above, has not changed since they released the Model S back in 2012 and 2013. We’ve been griping about this to Tesla since the beginning. It’s really quite a let down and can’t fathom why they don’t see it as an issue, or haven’t resolved it by now.

• Informative
Reactions: Jivas
It’s really quite a let down and can’t fathom why they don’t see it as an issue, or haven’t resolved it by now.

Agreed. For me, music in the background while I'm driving is probably more important than it is for many others. I like to listen to my albums with the songs in order as (especially on live albums) one song often flows into the next. The media player sorts songs alphabetically based on the song title in the metadata of an MP3 file. This means that if an artist has the same song on multiple albums I get to listen to the same song several times before advancing to the next one. Thankfully, I finally had some time to address the problem this past week and ended up writing a Python script that edits all my MP3 files and prepends an incrementing number ahead of the song title so that the songs now play in the order I want. However, that still doesn't address the fact that most of the time the media player doesn't even start up. In my research leading up to this I found numerous posts from people frustrated with the media player implementation. That Tesla fails to address this while at the same time introducing features that seem frivolous shows an appalling disregard for their customers.

Reactions: SCW-Greg
Just for reference, the music USB stick operation (or random lack thereof) and as noted in above, has not changed since they released the Model S back in 2012 and 2013. We’ve been griping about this to Tesla since the beginning. It’s really quite a let down and can’t fathom why they don’t see it as an issue, or haven’t resolved it by now.
Stinky (farts) priorities?

Reactions: SCW-Greg
... I like to listen to my albums with the songs in order as (especially on live albums) one song often flows into the next. The media player sorts songs alphabetically based on the song title in the metadata of an MP3 file. This means that if an artist has the same song on multiple albums I get to listen to the same song several times before advancing to the next one. Thankfully, I finally had some time to address the problem this past week and ended up writing a Python script that edits all my MP3 files and prepends an incrementing number ahead of the song title so that the songs now play in the order I want...

Dave the other thing you can do - as quick simple solution to albums and soundtracks staying together - is to group key albums on the USB stick within folders. The Tesla system is smart enough to read the folders and maintain music integrity within the folders. So you can group as... /Artist 1 Album 1/ and /Artist 1 Album 2... etc etc. Of course name the folders as you desire, and they will show up in the folders section of the media app. It works okay for a small amount of your favorite artists and songs so as not to overwhelm quick scrolling and selection.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Sorry to dust this thread off, but I wanted to mention that I had this USB music startup issue since I got the car, and as of 2019.5.3 it magically started working for me! The media player now remembers where you left off when you start the car as well as the current play state (paused, playing). Consistently! No change in USB thumb drive or partitioning.

Sorry to dust this thread off, but I wanted to mention that I had this USB music startup issue since I got the car, and as of 2019.5.3 it magically started working for me! The media player now remembers where you left off when you start the car as well as the current play state (paused, playing). Consistently! No change in USB thumb drive or partitioning.
Good news is always a qualifying reason to resurrect old threads! Thanks for letting us know. Looking forward to the update soon....finger crossed

Ya know... whilst a look for my magic wand to make it happen, I'm going to say what I'd like to have:

A one-stop app into which I could drop my entire itunes folder tree into, and have it convert all files into ones that will actually play in my Tesla, AND will organize them in logical folders. I have a somewhat large library. And A literally just dumped the tree onto my thumb drive that sits in the car. But gah... many songs (wrong format!) won't play, and the organization is just terrible. I'm too lazy to try and poke through everything manually to convert and reorganize the whole tree.

Anyway. I like unicorns too.

But here's something for real: When I'm in the USB screen of the music player, why doesn't the letter I choose on the right column take me correctly to the folder with that same letter? Seems to always be offset by several letters, no matter what I choose. I choose R, and it pops me to the N's (or something similar... I don't have the car here to experiment). I always thought that this would quickly fix itself.... but been like that for half a year.

Reactions: KnoxEVfan
Oh thank god. I've been bugging them about this through every means available to me for this after every single upgrade. Now I just have to get the upgrade...

But here's something for real: When I'm in the USB screen of the music player, why doesn't the letter I choose on the right column take me correctly to the folder with that same letter? Seems to always be offset by several letters, no matter what I choose. I choose R, and it pops me to the N's (or something similar... I don't have the car here to experiment). I always thought that this would quickly fix itself.... but been like that for half a year.

I finally got this whole music/TeslaCam issue all worked out this week (bought a properly formatted "Tesla enabled" flash drive on ebay), and immediately noticed the problem you mention. I was worried I had touchscreen offset issue, so glad to see that it is happening to others (no disrespect), as it will be fixable in a software update one day.

I finally got this whole music/TeslaCam issue all worked out this week (bought a properly formatted "Tesla enabled" flash drive on ebay), and immediately noticed the problem you mention. I was worried I had touchscreen offset issue, so glad to see that it is happening to others (no disrespect), as it will be fixable in a software update one day.
I'm relieved to hear that it isn't just me as well! Thanks for chiming in. Seems like a pretty simple thing in the grand scheme of things, right?

Can anyone confirm what display version (After clicking the T icon) they have running when they say a two button reset fixed the problem? I've been pretty irritated with the performance of the USB stick for playing music. Parking the car and returning to it almost always fails to resume play of the Mp3 on the flash drive as where I was when I got out. The streaming radio does not have this problem. I have a dual partition stick for recording dash cam and playing music from the same port - so the other is free to connect to a phone.