Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Requesting a new "project advisor"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have suggestions as to how to request a different "project advisor" once one has been assigned to an order?

Mine will be unresponsively radio silent for two weeks at a time, then resurface, and schedule a call for week into the future. And when we finally do have a call, they are rather condescending.

I'm sure they are being overworked, but I also believe it could be different with a different advisor.

I can't see any way to get in contact with a manager to request a re-assignment. It feels like this person has parked their car in my driveway and now I can't get my car out the garage and get going.

I had some issues at first too until I figured out what mode my sales advisor like to run in. Basically they did not do email. Actually responded better to phone calls and even better to texts. But I had to find out what the correct number they got texts on because it was not the same as the voice number and the text number could not take calls.

And after that, shortly when I moved into the final design stage (basically after I signed the contract) I am not on to a new sales advisor. Not sure if that is normal or not. Can't remember what occured before with my PWs and that process might be different from the Solar Roof.

So if you are in the first stage you might automatically get a new sales advisor.

Unfortunately I don’t have any suggestions on how to get a different project advisor, but I did want to set your expectations a little.

As I’m sure you’re aware, Tesla is one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest solar installer out there right now. And one of the ways they do this is by removing a lot of the human interaction in the sales and planning process. They use ‘one size fits all’ cookie cutter designs. (Ok, maybe more accurately ‘four sizes fits all’) without a lot of room for changes or customizations.

Unfortunately, lack of communication and poor response from Tesla during the sales and design phase is a common complaint on this board. While I don’t agree that this is how things should be, it has become pretty clear that this is the way tesla is operating things right now. If you are willing to put up with the lack of customization and lack of communication then you can get a great system at an amazing price. Luckily the install teams seem to be very good at what they do and overall people are very happy with their systems once they are installed.

On the other hand, if you are waiting to make a lot of changes to the system or want someone to hold your hand along the way then tesla is probably not a good option for you. A smaller local company will be more expensive, but will also be very willing to provide great communication and work with you to design the exact system that you want.

Now, all that said, it certainly sounds like your experience with your advisor has been pretty bad, but even with a new advisor I’m not sure you can expect significantly better communication.

Additionally, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on the forum here and many of us have gone through the sales, design, and install process with Tesla, so if you post your questions here there’s a good chance that you can get an answer from us before you get one from your advisor and that might help move your project along as well.

Unfortunately I don’t have any suggestions on how to get a different project advisor, but I did want to set your expectations a little.
Additionally, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on the forum here and many of us have gone through the sales, design, and install process with Tesla, so if you post your questions here there’s a good chance that you can get an answer from us before you get one from your advisor and that might help move your project along as well.

Thanks. Unfortunately, it's work that Tesla needs to do in order to figure out of this can/should move forward. Our existing roof is less than ideal, so what the (nameless/faceless) designers did was place half the panels on the north side of the house that is sloped *away* from the Sun. I've asked them to change the design that simply eliminates those likely very-low-production panels and see what the cost and estimated output would be. I made that request (via email) a week ago and got no response -- not even an acknowledgement. :-(

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks. Unfortunately, it's work that Tesla needs to do in order to figure out of this can/should move forward. Our existing roof is less than ideal, so what the (nameless/faceless) designers did was place half the panels on the north side of the house that is sloped *away* from the Sun. I've asked them to change the design that simply eliminates those likely very-low-production panels and see what the cost and estimated output would be. I made that request (via email) a week ago and got no response -- not even an acknowledgement. :-(

I can actually answer some of those questions... or at least get you in the ballpark. Right now tesla is pricing at $1.49 per watt, so if, for example, you were quoted a 12.24kW system at $18,204 (about 12240 watts x $1.49) that system would consist of 36 340W panels. If you removed, say 6 panels then you would have a 10.2 kW system. (30 panels x 340W per panel) and it would be priced at about $15,198 (10200 watts x $1.49)

As far as production goes, you can use the PVWatts calculator to figure that out at PVWatts Calculator. You will need to enter your address, the system size, and the orientation of the panels. If you have panels facing in different directions then you will need to run the calculation several times, using only the panels in that subset to calculate the system size, then add up all the numbers at the end to get the annual production estimate for your whole system.

It is worth noting that Tesla uses a different calculator to get production numbers and we have found that Tesla tends to be pretty conservative with their numbers, so the results you get from PVWatts will probably be slightly higher than the numbers you will get from Tesla, but those estimates should definitely get you in the ballpark and will hopefully be enough for you to decide whether it’s worth moving forward with your install or not.

Reactions: The Horsts
My original adviser, a great person handed me off to stage two adviser who couldn't find her own email to me when I called her. I called the original person and seems he stuck with me until after permit approval. Then was scheduled, and here I am.

My advisor just got back to me! But with bad news (which has been the norm with my Tesla project)....

If they remove the north-facing, sure-to-be-bad-producing panels, it takes my project to below 12 panels and they won't do any project that uses less than 12 panels. So, it's sort of take it or leave it.

I've run into so many roadblocks with Tesla. My earlier no-go was that I'm building a roof over a deck that will hold 16 panels, but learned that they refuse to install on something with less than 3 solid walls. (I'm getting someone else to do those panels -- which they love since its brand new roof with zero obstructions.) Kinda think Tesla would reduce their hassle if they just had somewhere the list of all the things they will refuse to do. Would have known not to even consider them.

My advisor just got back to me! But with bad news (which has been the norm with my Tesla project)....

If they remove the north-facing, sure-to-be-bad-producing panels, it takes my project to below 12 panels and they won't do any project that uses less than 12 panels. So, it's sort of take it or leave it.

I've run into so many roadblocks with Tesla. My earlier no-go was that I'm building a roof over a deck that will hold 16 panels, but learned that they refuse to install on something with less than 3 solid walls. (I'm getting someone else to do those panels -- which they love since its brand new roof with zero obstructions.) Kinda think Tesla would reduce their hassle if they just had somewhere the list of all the things they will refuse to do. Would have known not to even consider them.

My experience has been great. Like @BrettS have said, Tesla want reduce the overhead cost, and translate to lower cost to customer. $1.49/W. Each of their advisor handles 500+ active customers. So they won't actively call and walk you through everything. They relay on their website to communicate the information to you.

Because they don't allow you to talk directly to the designer/engineer. So if your roof is very complex, has a lot of obstacle to avoid. Then you would need to help them out a little. There're several things which you should understand first.

1. Tesla's panel sizing ~ 69"x41"
2. Because their mounting system, they like to go with landscape panel position. Because portrait position might only hit one rafter on a standard rafter width (24").
3. Understand you local fire setback rule. (3' rule)

Once you understand the limit, you can figure out what works or not. Don't expect Tesla will tell you. If you put on their hat, you will do the safest design. Keep everything apart, give a lot of space. Keep it in rectangle shape. They don't care about what is the best facing side.

But if you know what you want. I suggests you write it down, and do some simple sketching, add some pictures if you have some.
Then send that over to the advisor. They will forward that to the design team. Don't expect the advisor will write down your phone conversation to tell the designer. It won't happen, sometime will get loss in translation.

Also when you call you advisor, don't expects they will pick up the phone. You sure press0 to get to other advisor. They can help to forward your document to the designer.

This approach works very well for me. I got my design done within a few days after the site survey was done.

Basically, you're going to a fast food chain, you won't get a red carpet roll out to you. But if you know how to order it, you will get something acceptable, and cheap.

Also, for those of you considering PV and if your roof won't last more than 20-25 years or more. You should take care your roof first, because the cost of taking the panel out, and reinstalling can take couple thousands. Also Tesla might not warranty the installation if it took out by a someone else. Save your headache, take care your roof first before calling Tesla.

Because Tesla doesn't want to due with difficult case, they will only do the safest case. Ask yourself whether your project is a typical case, or something difficult. If it's simple, then you can go with Tesla.

I can see their reticence to go below 12 panels. At 350w/panel that is pretty low max generation, 4.2 kW. Add in winter conditions and you could be down in the 2-3 kW range.

My experience has been great. Like @BrettS have said, Tesla want reduce the overhead cost, and translate to lower cost to customer. $1.49/W. Each of their advisor handles 500+ active customers. So they won't actively call and walk you through everything. They relay on their website to communicate the information to you.
Basically, you're going to a fast food chain, you won't get a red carpet roll out to you. But if you know how to order it, you will get something acceptable, and cheap.

Thanks.

Yes, our existing main roof is chopped up with lots of angles which is way less than ideal for a solar panel installation. That's why we're building a pristine piece of 340 sq ft roof with no protrusions and tilted facing the sun.

But it's a roof over a deck and that's where I earlier ran into Telsa's first gotcha -- they won't install panels on anything will less than 3 solid walls even if you have designs stamped by a structural engineer. :-(

Ironically, they won't allow themselves to install in a perfect 16 panel rectangle, but will deal with my existing roof that would require panels in 5 separate areas just to fit 12 panels, half of which are on the north side that is tilted away from the sun. :-( :-( :-(

Have you done what someone has suggested to use PVWatts to calculate how much solar production you get from those North facing panels? It may be less than ideal but would it meet your energy requirement even if it means it may costs a little more due to the orientation? I was jumping up and down when Tesla told me my solar glass roof cells will be facing East instead of West but then after talking with my project advisor, I looked at the shades on my West facing roof and realize my East facing roof actually seems to get more usable sunlight, I actually checked visually though out the day for a few sunny days. Bottom line is that I am paying a bit more due to lower performance as a compromise of orientation of my roof but at the end of the day I still get more energy. As most people would tell you Tesla is not going to come to your house to work out the details with something perfect for you, if that is what you want then you should not be looking at Tesla but some local provider than has much better customer service.

It is my personal belief that a different project advisor would not make your project better or faster, they may have better bedside manners and give you more information, the Tesla process still dictates. I have project advisor that said they would escalate to move my project along or my project is for sure slated for installation soon but as soon as it is passed to the next project advisor everything changes in the name of transparency, basically they will do their best but you will get it when you get it the way Tesla wants it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jboy210
Thanks.

Yes, our existing main roof is chopped up with lots of angles which is way less than ideal for a solar panel installation. That's why we're building a pristine piece of 340 sq ft roof with no protrusions and tilted facing the sun.

But it's a roof over a deck and that's where I earlier ran into Telsa's first gotcha -- they won't install panels on anything will less than 3 solid walls even if you have designs stamped by a structural engineer. :-(

Ironically, they won't allow themselves to install in a perfect 16 panel rectangle, but will deal with my existing roof that would require panels in 5 separate areas just to fit 12 panels, half of which are on the north side that is tilted away from the sun. :-( :-( :-(
Insanity.

My first project advisor was fairly responsive. But then she got promoted and I got handed off to another advisor. That was in June. My powerwalls have been installed but I've had various problems. I've sent numerous emails and left several messages for my new advisor but have never received a return email or phone call. I've never even talked to him. I just have to call the generic phone number and get promised that someone will get back to me. If I'm lucky I get a tidbit of information during the phone call.

My first project advisor was fairly responsive. But then she got promoted and I got handed off to another advisor. That was in June. My powerwalls have been installed but I've had various problems. I've sent numerous emails and left several messages for my new advisor but have never received a return email or phone call. I've never even talked to him. I just have to call the generic phone number and get promised that someone will get back to me. If I'm lucky I get a tidbit of information during the phone call.

The energy advisors are more of a pre-install support team. If your powerwalls have already been installed then your energy advisor is probably not the one you want to be talking to. The better people to call would be the energy support team, who are the ones who handle problems with systems that have been installed. You can call them at 877-798-3752.

The energy advisors are more of a pre-install support team. If your powerwalls have already been installed then your energy advisor is probably not the one you want to be talking to. The better people to call would be the energy support team, who are the ones who handle problems with systems that have been installed. You can call them at 877-798-3752.
That's what I would have thought. But when I call the above number I'm asked if I know who my project advisor is and if I've discussed the problem with them. When I explain the no response problem they message my advisor and give me the response if he responds. It may be because my main problem has been going on since day one of the install in June. I'm now working with Tesla Executive Relations but they still reach out to my advisor for information.

Interesting. Maybe because the problem happened on install day the lines are a little blurred. Out of curiosity, what is your problem?
My AC never worked correctly since the install. Tesla installed a SureStart but it wrecked havoc with the AC. The tech removed the SureStart the last time he was here and left without the AC working. He said it must be something wrong with the AC and I need to call an HVAC company to get it repaired. He didn't rewire it correctly after he removed the SureStart. I jerry rigged it with automotive connectors and wire per the schematic to get it working. That is the way it is working now (the install happened in June).

I (not Tesla) contacted SureStart to find out the problem. They said the SureStart isn't compatible with my reverse-run compressor.

I asked Tesla what they are going to do about this. They said they are going to remove the AC from my backup panel. There are 2 problems with this:

1) The only breaker in my backup panel is the 200 amp breaker for the house. My house is 250' from the solar/powerwalls/meter/gateway/backup panel with the power to my house running underground. I asked them for more details on how they were going to remove the AC breaker from the backup panel since there isn't one in there.

2) The contract I agreed to (and paid for) has the AC as part of the whole house backup. I've asked them what justification they have for removing it.

I'm still waiting for answers.