Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Numbers: How to read where you are in the queue.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...I don't think they have any real meaning...

Historically, Tesla issued you two numbers in your e-mail receipt and my Tesla's page.

1) RN number is just like an account number that has relations to your sequence in for the wait.

2) Sequence Number: That is literally your sequence. 1 means you the first one that the system got your money. 2 means there's 1 who deposited before you.

There's no need to decipher.

No point posting RN#'s and times. That is useless information. Start a spreadsheet with fields like employee, owner, city location/internet, and time. Trying to figure out if the RN# means anything or is randomly generated and you can't do that unless there is more data than a RN# and time.

No point posting RN#'s and times. That is useless information. Start a spreadsheet with fields like employee, owner, city location/internet, and time. Trying to figure out if the RN# means anything or is randomly generated and you can't do that unless there is more data than a RN# and time.
Debbie Downer! - Now what are we going to do for the next two to three years?

If I use monkey math I can come up with a basic position in the queue relative to the global pre-order process. Lets assume 100 of the 215 locations were taking pre-orders for the first 10 hours, time zone adjusted. In my location the booking rate was 150 per hour, lets average at 100 per hour globally. That gives us a basic run rate of 10,000 orders per hour for the first 10 hours. I got my order in almost exactly at the 1 hour mark in my local time zone. So I should be somewhere around 10,000 in the global queue and maybe as low as 2000-3000 in the western region of the US.

From that point it gets pretty difficult to predict as multiple variables play a role as spec of the car, existing owners, employees and such. For me getting a 8-10k Vin/build car would be perfect as most of the bugs would have been worked out of the system and it should align to spring 2018 availability. Spring time is a happy time in Seattle after a long, cold and rainy winter. Today's weather is beautiful for example, sunny 70's and clear skies. Fast forward 2 years the timing should be great to receive my new baby.

I know how my wife felt when we had our first real baby. I'm in nesting mode already thinking of all the things I need to get ready in the garage. Put in a new epoxy floor, get the electrical ready and organize my cleaning supplies.

I did some similar monkey math to determine my spot in the east coast. I was number 15 in line at a store, and I counted 39 stores in the US within the EST time zone. So if all #15's in line reserved at the same time, I'd be somewhere around 580ish in the North America reservation queue. Obviously that doesn't take into account employees, owners (I'm not already one), and specs on Model 3s (I plan on going with a PXXDL). I feel like I have a pretty decent spot in line. :D

...any meaning to the RN#.

The meaning is explained in the e-mail receipts for Roadster, Model S and early Model X who got 2 different numbers in those e-mails as well as on "My Tesla" page:

"WHY TWO NUMBERS?

Your Reservation Confirmation Number is the number we use to track your account. If you ever need to call us, we'll ask for this number to quickly pull up your account details.

Your Reservation Sequence Number indicates your place in our reservation queue and the order in which you'll be invited to finalize your Model X configuration, options, and packages."

ZKC5D0G.jpg

In the fullness of Tesla time we'll all get sequence numbers or something like that. In the meantime we're clueless. Maybe my optimism is unjustified but I think it will work out OK; mostly I am astounded that they managed to match to my MyTesla one reservation made in a Florida store with Florida data and another made online for delivery to Brazil using Brazil data. If they did that one automatically somehow I think they'll manage sequence numbers when we need to know them, if indeed we ever do.

Tesla has already said they're not doing sequence numbers for Model 3. You'll be invited to configure based on timestamp and macro geography. Production will be scheduled based on configuration and micro geography.