Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reserving to Receiving - a P- story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it a cigarette lighter socket? If so, yes. Sorry I don't know about the sockets in a Model 3.
Yes.. the problem is that there are no fuses (as far as I can see or find) in the Model 3 for the 12V driven accessories... that's not a major issue as what that probably implies is that those accessories are supplied by a control unit that then does the "fusing" electronically internally.. i.e. too much current and it switches off..

The problem with these is that the electron ics are so fast and they are digital, in that, take for example a BMW motorcycle that has the accessory socket driven from the ZFE or Chassis modules, they might have an output of 9A, and your compressor draws between 3 and 3.5A, but the inrush current for the compressor on startup can easily be 5x the steady-state/nominal current... as a result the compressor never even comes on when you plug it into one of those, as within the first couple of milliseconds, the inrush current exceeds the rated current and the output protects itself by switching off...

one fo the products we do is a CAN-bus-based accessory manager for BMW, Harley and other motorcycles,
https://www.hexezcan.com
and this is specifically one of the issues we addressed by designing a software fuse that has the characteristics of a real fuse.. where it effectively integrates the energy and that determines whether the output switches off or not.. i.e. it can handle spikes for a while like inrush currents etc..

Hence, I'll wait until I've got some confirmation from some "compatible" Model 3 compressors...

No spare wheel and no tyre repair kit...
in the weeks leading up to this I ordered the following tubeless repair kit and I'm still looking for a compact compressor to keep in the car...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RV3X9FW
it has all the basics and seems real good quality too...

..still looking for a compressor..
Wow, that is a repair kit! I was expecting the link to go to an aerosol of tyre gunk.

I’m not sure that I’m up to those sort of running repairs. Hopefully Tesla Recovery will be on hand...

There was a thread elsewhere regarding the Tesla tyre kit being carp - so be extra wary of that - compressor is not very reliable and the tyre gunk apparently doesn't play nice with the acoustic inserts inside the tyres. The Americans talk about some temporary plugs for tyres which I had not heard about over here - I think the tpms is quite good at pre-warning that something is not right giving plenty of warning to do something about it and anything quicker probably will be more terminal.

Does Tesla home recovery have a distance limit before it gets super expensive like in US? iirc its 50 mile (from service centre) free recovery, then for those with 20" tyres, a couple of days wait for non stock tyres - I cannot believe that will be the case over here with only 2 main tyre sizes?

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W.
I wouldn't consider using a 'from the outside' type of tyre repair for a road car that may end up doing 70+ speeds (honest gov just for a necessary overtake). Yeah, OK for slow agri vehicles and stuff on the farm. Uk the odds of being stuck serious miles from anywhere is remote or consider owning your own spare wheel (book now on the scrapyard sites for the first 3 write-off?).
I still have my RAC as backup. The one puncture I did have on my S the local garage sorted.

Reactions: Roy W.
I think we will end up with a winter set that will act as a temporary spare, but will also want a couple of other solutions for different circumstances.

I been caught once on a car with no spare that had the sidewall ripped out by a pothole - I needed to park it up overnight and had mobile tyre service come next day to fix. No point having AA put premium up due to unnecessary callout. I was in no hurry and had an alternative way home so major inconvenience. But I've also done 5 or so roadside swaps in my lifetime, one of which was middle of nowhere in Aus - road back from Jenolan Caves - boot full of luggage, peeing down with rain. The other was top of slip onto A3 elevated section at New Malden, dark night and raining. Jack point collapsed on me, car was old. Needed AA for that one, waited several hours, long before mobile phones, and expected to come back to a flattened car. AA sorted tyre but drove off before I realised car battery was now too flat to start.

Be prepared for the unexpected.

Does Tesla home recovery have a distance limit before it gets super expensive like in US? iirc its 50 mile (from service centre) free recovery, then for those with 20" tyres, a couple of days wait for non stock tyres - I cannot believe that will be the case over here with only 2 main tyre sizes?

Sounds like it may do - a sorry tale of brand new Model X owner Raven X has landed

Had some questions on the length of the Type 2 cable. It measures 4.5 meters from tip to tip... but I'm assuming it is a 4.0m cable (probably excluding the connectors, looking at the label on the packaging...)

Type2extension1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: m3p_uk and alexp2