Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Beyond Frustrated How do I contact a Regional Manager

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel your pain. It's been over 60 days for me. I'm still waiting for the chain of command to contact me for resolution. I remain hopeful all will work out. I think there are two categories of X owners, those who have issues and those who haven't found their issues yet. All of these cars have issues. They just need to be sorted out by what is fixable and what needs to go back to the factory. IMO "fixable" is something that don't take 60 days in the SC the first 90 days of ownership. Even 30 days sounds way too much.

What's sad to contemplate is that the factory, and management, very likely knew about the issues with these cars (they inspect them, after all) and chose to ship and deliver them anyway to make their numbers. It was a conscious choice to inflict pain upon their customers. And why not? There seem to be no consequences.

Last edited:
@CaliX Yup! Mine took over 45 days just to fix doors, unfinished painting, problems caused internally by bodyshop, wrong parts sent and wrong bodyshop sent etc. That is not counting all the misalignments, gaps, rubber falling, SC told me not to worry about those since the replacement X is coming. If all are to be fixed, I do expect to have 3 more month on top of that 45 days to fix all issues, that is Tesla has the capability to fix them. From my observation, it seems that the structure is not formed to the exact specs, causing all panels around the car to misalign, gapping and popping.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TheQ and KaiserSoze
Do you know what you want Tesla to do?
Do you want to hand over the keys and wait a month or more for a replacement? Many cars have very few issues these days... but they will tend to still have some.
Do you want Tesla to fix the issues and give you the car back? The issues will generally decrease over time, although no doubt some will recur and there will be some new issues.

Theoretically the second way is the quickest way to a good X... but if you have come to hate your car, then a replacement vehicle (different color, or an S if you are not confident in an X) could be your best request.

Figure that out and ask for a chat or meeting with the service center manager.
He will listen and Tesla will do what they can to make things right, regardless of qualification for lemon law.

@cantdecide like the name but I can decide. I now dislike this vehicle I believe if I keep it the trips will never stop.

I would like them to replace it. I would like a different color so I am not reminded on a daily basis of this X. I believe my X is the exception and the new ones coming out are much better like my S I bought a few months ago. My S is as perfect as you can get. Funny thing it hasn't been back to the SC since they day I picked it up.

Thank you I will call them tomorrow. Is this what you did?
FYI, the California Lemon Law is also called the Song-Beverly Warranty Rights. Basically, one of the requirement is that your new car has spent more than 30 cumulative days in Tesla Service Center for numerous under warranty repairs during the first 18 months, you have the right to a replacement vehicle or a refund. There may be some charges for usage before the first warranty repair has been notified to your SC. Good Luck. Worth a try - Tesla might surprise you with a new replacement!

FYI, the California Lemon Law is also called the Song-Beverly Warranty Rights. Basically, one of the requirement is that your new car has spent more than 30 cumulative days in Tesla Service Center for numerous under warranty repairs during the first 18 months, you have the right to a replacement vehicle or a refund. There may be some charges for usage before the first warranty repair has been notified to your SC. Good Luck. Worth a try - Tesla might surprise you with a new replacement!
The usage charges will only apply should you opt for a refund. Replacement if without cost to you.

I have had my X for less than 60 days 20 of those days my X has been in the service center. In the first 24 hours of ownership my brakes failed and my passenger door wouldn't open (should have been my first clue that something not right). It has been non stop from there. I'm still looking at 7+ more days when more parts arrive. Some of the repairs have been installed improperly making more problems it's like I spent $120,000 for a car that is so poorly built that it requires what feels like non stop repairs. To top it of the tech tells me my seals that are messed up on my X "that's how they are all coming in" and didn't fix them. This is our 3rd tesla and what a painful experience this one has been.

Anyway sorry venting just tired and frustrated.

If you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

So let me first start off by saying A) this isn't an excuse for the experience you are having, and B) I appreciate/understand your frustration.

So we have a very early Sig X (one of the few delivered in 2015) and while we have had teething pains from new production, the SC manager and team have been (as always) very engaged, helpful, and communicative. They have resolved every concern, been very supportive, and it's why I keep coming back to Tesla.

It's on the communications point where the disconnect may be happening. I'm not familiar with your case, but the X has already had many part revisions. For those vehicles with a failure condition, they are replacing, in many cases, with, newer revision parts and due to the new production things are taking a bit longer than normal.

In other words, I suspect what you are seeing as significant delays may be in fact ramp delays moving to the new revisions of parts. I've had one instance of this, and it may be worthwhile to have a face to face, verbal discussion with your SC manager and map out a path forward.

Again, not an excuse, but I would encourage that direct engagement. I'm sure it will be productive.

@Matt_D Thank you I just emailed my new SC asking to sit down face to face with the service manager I like you believe in face to face communication. I switched to a different SC based on the comments about the seals on my FWD's from my other SC. I think a fresh start at another SC would be helpful.

Cali- from my experience- the local SC have been nothing but fantastic- they really try hard to bend over backwards to make things right. What I have an issue with is Tesla corporate. In their zeal to make quarterly numbers- they have pushed out cars that never should have been sold.

Yes you are an early adopter, yes you expect problems early on- however at some point you getting a super flawed car is like asking a foot soldier to rush a machine gun and take a bullet so that the army can win the war.

It sucks you are a casualty in the bigger mission of EV adoption. The model X should not have had all these issues- its Teslas 3rd car. getting doors to close properly should be an issue.

Reactions: KaiserSoze
I would actually encourage you to find a regional manager. Escalate it. and if it was me, I would want a new car. Sorry- 100k+ to deal with a bunch of issues that will continue later? no thank you. this is precisely why I changed from a purchase to a lease. Worse case for me, Im only stuck with a first gen X for 3 years. Well worth the piece of mind to pay the extra that it will cost for a lease.

I would actually encourage you to find a regional manager. Escalate it. and if it was me, I would want a new car. Sorry- 100k+ to deal with a bunch of issues that will continue later? no thank you. this is precisely why I changed from a purchase to a lease. Worse case for me, Im only stuck with a first gen X for 3 years. Well worth the piece of mind to pay the extra that it will cost for a lease.

Trust me I am trying every avenue I can to get in touch with a Regional Manager. If you have any ideas I am open to any suggestions.

Sorry to hear about your experience @CaliX.

I am also of the opinion these cars should have never made out of the factory. There is no excuse for it and it shows utter disrespect for the most enthusiastic Tesla owners.

I have found my SC to be polite and trying their best be helpful but overwhelmed as they are having to bear the burden of the poor build quality imposed on the drivers.

I have not found a way to move up the chain of command at Tesla. There seems to be no easy way to reach a more senior person outside an SC. (I guess you can send a tweet to Elon:))

Good luck to you and only thing I can suggest is that be polite and professional but assertive, You have every right to expect a high quality driving experience without any compromise and without having to visit SC. These were supposed to be the cars that supposedly did not need any service.

Luckily so far we have not had major issues with our car but I am not willing say that it is a high quality product. It is innovative in many ways, fun to drive and looks great (for the most part) but it has many small quality, build issues and overlooked features that have been long perfected by the auto industry in general.

It is just last week that I listened to the NUMMI episode of This American Life. It's ironical that many of the build issues they described during the terrible GM days sound so similar to some of the issues Teslas have had (body alignment issues, bad paint jobs, parts installed wrong). Of course I know, it is not the same factory or even the work culture but ultimately the only quantifiable measure is defects per 1000 cars produced and I wonder what the comparison looks like for Tesla versus the other high end vehicle factories.