Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved]Tesla won't let me keep charger, claiming restricted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I once had a supercharging problem. Took it to a service center, and they did all sorts of diagnostics and were stumped. So they replaced every single component, from the chargeport, to the charger, to the high voltage DC boxes, all kinds of boxes, everything in the chain all the way to the battery -- including the high voltage cables. One by one they replaced these components, reinstalled firmaware, rebooted, took like an hour for each component, and several days to do the whole job, until they discovered the flaw. Which was in one component. They let me keep all of the other new components. I basically got an entirely new charging system, including new chargeport.

But they didn't give me any parts. I suspect they'd have been worth a lot of money. Hmm.

They probably let you keep all of the other new components because they were already installed and didn't want to spend days putting the old parts back in.

Did you pay out of pocket for the repairs or was it under warranty? If warranty then it's normal for them to keep the parts.

Reactions: Max*
I plan on selling it on eBay/this site and recoup part of my $2,500. I'll gladly sell it back to Tesla for a reasonable amount, but instead they told me I can't have it. Also considering the regular charger works, and they're replacing it too, I can easily sell that without any DIY hacks.

Waiting on a call from the service manager, I'm not letting this one go.

This is a good reason not to return the defective parts.
You want to sell the defective part on EBay.
Defective parts need to be taken out of circulation because they are DEFECTIVE and could be dangerous if reinstalled in someones vehicle. What if the part caused a fire in someones car in the future. Would it be YOUR fault for selling the defective part online.

Defective parts need to be taken out of circulation because they are DEFECTIVE and could be dangerous if reinstalled in someones vehicle. What if the part caused a fire in someones car in the future. Would it be YOUR fault for selling the defective part online.

No it would not.
As long as he represented the part accurately, he would not be liable for any damage it might cause in another person's car.

lol. First of all my regular charger works. Second of all I would list is defective. There are a lot of tinkerers who would want to buy broken parts for cheap to fix them and put them in their own Tesla's. Some on this board too.

Are you saying I can't sell a broken cell phone online? A broken TV? A broken camera? A broken play-station? All of those can catch fire and burn your house down, but if advertised correctly can be repaired or used for spare parts.

Reactions: Vip
Well, I once had a supercharging problem. Took it to a service center (San Diego), and they did all sorts of diagnostics and were stumped. So they replaced every single component, from the chargeport, to the charger, to the high voltage DC boxes, all kinds of boxes, everything in the chain all the way to the battery -- including the high voltage cables. One by one they replaced these components, reinstalled firmware, rebooted, took like an hour for each task, and several days to do the whole job, until they discovered the flaw. Which was in one component. They let me keep all of the other new components. I basically got an entirely new charging system, including new chargeport.

But they didn't give me any parts. I suspect they'd have been worth a lot of money. Hmm.

If you paid them for a bunch of unnecessary new parts you were ripped off. They have no obligation to give you warranty replaced parts - but they do sometimes. I had a UMC fail under warranty and I knew how to fix it so I asked if I could keep the old one. They gave me a new one and let me fix the old one. It was a short in the handle side so now that UMC is a J1772 mobile connector I keep in the car. It can be used by anyone needing a charge.

Reactions: H-H-H and Max*
No it is actively in use during Supercharging, but it isn't doing the rectifying. And it is exposed to the HV on both it's input and output.

I could certainly see it being used to generate the pilot signal. I’d be a bit curious to see the schematics on the power side, though. Given that many of the S/X cars have multiple chargers, where is the circuitry that flips over the isolation contactors? I’d been assuming that there was a separate charging controller, but maybe I’m wrong.

Given that many of the S/X cars have multiple chargers, where is the circuitry that flips over the isolation contactors? I’d been assuming that there was a separate charging controller, but maybe I’m wrong.

In the old Model Ss that have two chargers they are physically identical but one of them is configured to be the master charger and it controls the Supercharging and the slave charger. As far as isolation contactors, there aren't any that I am aware of. There is a set of contactors that bridge the AC input from the charge port to the HV DC battery bus, but it doesn't disconnect that from the AC input on the charger(s).

BTW: I don't think any Model Xs have multiple chargers, The Model X is when they went to the single 48A, or 72A, charger version.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Gotta love Tesla service. Uber credits expire today, my car will only be ready on Monday morning according to the app (cool new feature).

Asked for the manager to call me 3 times so far
Texted them 3 times
Called them about a half dozen times this morning

No one picks up, no one responds, no one calls back, and mail box is full and not accepting new voicemails.

I use the Fairfax service center too. This is exactly my experience. PM me and I’ll give you the emails of two head service people. It’s insane they don’t return calls, but if you figure out how to contact them directly, you can usually get a response.

Also I had this exact argument about an MCU replacement with them that was out of warranty. They had no core charge. I let them keep it after two days of them insisting that they had to keep it. I’ve learned a lot more about how Tesla operates outside of norms since then.

For everyone’s sake - press them on this issue. It’s time they grow up and start complying with common sense laws. The purpose of the part return law is to give customers a defense against shady practices where you’re charged for parts that you never receive.

For some, it appears Tesla service has gone from being super personal and concerned about the experience to complete crap.

This, exactly. A Tesla lawyer claimed recently that Tesla has the “highest customer satisfaction rating”. In my experience they did - up until the Model 3 release. Now they’re by far the worst service group I’ve ever dealt with. I’ve had to press them hard every time my vehicles need service. They don’t have appointments available for weeks, and never start on the scheduled day. No loaner cars (I haven kids, I have to have a car).

In my opinion, Tesla Fairfax should stop selling cars until they can provide basic service functions to their existing customers in a lawful and timely fashion.

I use the Fairfax service center too. This is exactly my experience. PM me and I’ll give you the emails of two head service people. It’s insane they don’t return calls, but if you figure out how to contact them directly, you can usually get a response.

Also I had this exact argument about an MCU replacement with them that was out of warranty. They had no core charge. I let them keep it after two days of them insisting that they had to keep it. I’ve learned a lot more about how Tesla operates outside of norms since then.

For everyone’s sake - press them on this issue. It’s time they grow up and start complying with common sense laws. The purpose of the part return law is to give customers a defense against shady practices where you’re charged for parts that you never receive.
My car is supposed to be ready this morning, so I think I'll just drive down and see if I get my parts/ask to speak to the management which hasn't called me back. If that doesn't work, I'll ask for those emails, thanks for the offer!

Believe you are right, but that Tesla is doing a good thing by trying to keep these items out of the hands of DIY hacks that may do damage experimenting with them for various purposes.
I really dislike when a poster comes up with a list of rationalizations to attempt to justify when a person or company is doing something illegal or unethical. By the way, a lot of good things come out of what you describe as "DIY hacks." I know this firsthand from working in automotive engineering.

Maybe there is some technology inside that they wish to not get into the hands of competitors etc.
You really think that multiple competitors haven't simply bought a full car and disassembled it?

They may also want that part back to examine it and determine what made it fail. Would give them additional information to build better parts in the future.
You often don't need the part for that. If you do, you buy it from the customer by offering a discount on the service. You don't break the law and keep the customer's property.

What are you planning to do with that used part that makes you hesitant to return it to Tesla?
Don't put the onus on the customer to show Tesla shouldn't violate their property rights under the law.

Last edited:
What a few people seem to be missing in the whole Tesla/supplier warranty argument is that in those cases you don’t pay for the part.

Not my car, but I had an air conditioner part break. The install was no longer under warranty from the installer but the part was still warrantied by the supplier.

To get it fixed, I paid for the labor but not for the part, which was exchanged with the supplier (by the installer).

In no case should you pay full price for a replacement car part and not (have the option to) get the original part back.

Reactions: MP3Mike