Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Restrictions on Hong Kong Model S spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the high demand for the car at the moment they might just happily accept your cancelation and give you a full refund.
Too bad they dumb down the car in that way.
If I'm honest I hardly need the navigation, though I still would love to have Google maps.
Concerning the web browser we can't blame them, because it's the TD.

No Telsa you don't understand how disappointed we are! This is not acceptable if it has nothing to do with TD.

We dont want another Apple Inc. to tell us what we should have and what we should not.

They are still promoting Nav with Google Map w/ live traffic and browser function on their HK site. IMO it is misleading.

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 6.59.00 pm.png

And here Tesla's HK reply to my question why not at least Google maps:

We understood you are disappointed about google map is not the provider anymore for Hong Kong market. This is the company decision not using google map for Hong Kong Model S. The google map you saw in our demo car is the US spec car.

Can't get it, why they decide like that if it's not a TD requirement. Or could it be, that the maps they are using are better for HK/China than Google ... maybe we should just trust in Tesla :wink:

If that's the case and will replace it with other maps such as 高德地圖 (AutoNavi) then it's fair enough. But it has to be real-time. Otherwise, still a major disappointment.

I would even consider buying either an iPad holder, or some two-way suction cups and attach my iPad to the lower screen. In that case, I can have Google Maps, Waze or whatever, play movies (which I really don't want to, especially not while driving). I wonder if you can set the MS to use the upper screen only (so the lower half, covered up by the iPad, isn't showing anything I need).

Another excuse to upgrade my iPad 2 to the latest iPad mini?

I also share your disappointment, yet if it will result in another discount, then why not. Too bad, though, no rear facing seats and 17" live satnav via Google is surely a disappointment.

- - - Updated - - -

If that's the case and will replace it with other maps such as 高德地圖 (AutoNavi) then it's fair enough. But it has to be real-time. Otherwise, still a major disappointment.

I didn't know of AutoNavi until you mentioned it, maybe because all their web sites are in Chinese (which I don't understand much of!)

One of their apps, though, is available with a choice of English, TC and SC, it can be used offline and ... it's free.

https://itunes.apple.com/hk/app/gao-dao-hang-mian-fei-li-xian/id324101974?mt=8

I think the coverage includes China, and there is real time traffic updates and more - if you are connected. This is unlike Waze and Google, which need constant internet to function at all.

I have either used Google Maps or Waze in Hong Kong, while I use Navigon in other countries (Europa and North America). What are you using for navigation in HK/CN?

Maybe they will still resolve it, over time. Remember the car will be updated over the air (for better and for worse), and I still hope for rear facing seats (yeah right) and Google Maps to be solved in time.

DITB, like you, the Model S will be my first car to buy in HK. However, I've driven quite a bit on my friends' cars here, and we tend to just use AutoNavi or Google Maps on our phones which are clipped onto a phone holder mounting on the windscreen when navigating through obscure streets. Most of the time though we just knew the routes and didn't need nav. Come to think of it, we've never really needed real-time traffic status as a matter of fact...usually we turned on the radio whilst driving and RTHK normally does a great job communicating on the latest traffic...

Waidy, I don't know what the law says but I don't want to mislead you to believe they are allowed, but check this out:

1223-00176-005b1.jpg

DITB, like you, the Model S will be my first car to buy in HK. However, I've driven quite a bit on my friends' cars here, and we tend to just use AutoNavi or Google Maps on our phones which are clipped onto a phone holder mounting on the windscreen when navigating through obscure streets. Most of the time though we just knew the routes and didn't need nav. Come to think of it, we've never really needed real-time traffic status as a matter of fact...usually we turned on the radio whilst driving and RTHK normally does a great job communicating on the latest traffic...

Waidy, I don't know what the law says but I don't want to mislead you to believe they are allowed, but check this out:

View attachment 49284

Yeah, that's a taxi for sure (and probably before the recent update in the police' policy on mobile phones in Taxis!

I managed to download the AutoNavi app onto my iPad, and get the HK map. Couldn't see anything downloading, only "Waiting", but that is because you have to press the "Management" tab to see the download progress (HK is about 95 MB, base files just over 200 MB).

The app was in English from the beginning, correctly detecting my language setting, but the lady started speaking to me in Putonghua. So I thought, oh dear, it's only the menus that are in English? After I started a trip in the simulation mode, she spoke English, albeit in backwards kind of sentence structure.

Even for English speakers, that app is worth looking into, especially as 1) It's free 2) Speaks and writes English 3) Includes China also 4) Has offline maps

Before that, in HK it was either Google maps or Waze for me.

I believe Tesla bundled HK/CHINA in one Navi solution. Google Map is ok in HK but when in China, errr.... depends...

It must be data collection restrictions due to you-know-what-reason :rolleyes:

My friend uses an Ap Liu Street Navi in China and is more reliable then Google unfortunately. Also no real time traffic on Google anyway..

Google_Map_SZ.jpg

Last edited:
HAHaha.. I would love to have gadgets like these but even if it is legal, I won't be able to use it. It is because I am short, I won't be able to see the road if I mount them.

I just came out of a meeting. I spoke to a Tesla x-co-founder on 3-phase charging. He told me Tesla ran into the same issue in Europe where they could not offer it until regulatory approval. In another word, it is likely that Tesla is doing regulatory approval on 3-phase charging in Hong Kong before they can enable it.

Is there any possible ways to ask for compensation on feature restriction issue? It is too bad that Tesla mislead us when we place our deposit. They made us to believe the car is fully equipped with browser, homelink, Google maps and more. I was quite disappointed with this.

Is there any possible ways to ask for compensation on feature restriction issue? It is too bad that Tesla mislead us when we place our deposit. They made us to believe the car is fully equipped with browser, homelink, Google maps and more. I was quite disappointed with this.

Consumer Council.

But things are not finalised yet. Just verbal confirmations and rumours at the moment so you just have to wait and see. Besides, you can still ask Tesla for a full refund I think if you're not truly happy with it since it's not delivered yet.

Consumer Council.

But things are not finalised yet. Just verbal confirmations and rumours at the moment so you just have to wait and see. Besides, you can still ask Tesla for a full refund I think if you're not truly happy with it since it's not delivered yet.

Offering full refund is not a positive way on responding customer request.

I paid 330K deposit the day after I test drove the car, because there were some feature on the test car, which is still not offered by any other car on the market and were very useful for me, including the child seats ( I have 2 kids, ), Internet browser (we are always stuck in traffic aren't we) and most importantly, Google map (who doesn't like it?)

I am really disappointed as now not only my car isn't going to come with a 80a Charger (how am I going to charge my car when I drive back to China Factory?), but also there are some key feature missing!

A formal announcement from Tesla on these matter is needed, it doesn't look good for a future owner to get all these information from here. It is really hard to piss off an anticipating customer , but Tesla is very close on getting that achievement. WTF have Tesla HK done for the past year?

Last edited:
I'm not sure that complaining to Tesla is the right way to get the features that you want reinstated. Obviously, they would offer these features if they were able to. It's actually more work for them from a QA and testing standpoint to make these changes in response to government regulation.

Perhaps your media campaign should be directed at changing the restrictions that the government is putting on Tesla. It's unfortunate that the test cars had features that would turn out to be undeliverable from a legal point of view. But what would the alternative be, no test drives until the car had cleared all the government hurdles?

I do agree that if they have now found out that some features are undeliverable, they should be removed from the HK website.

I'm not sure that complaining to Tesla is the right way to get the features that you want reinstated. Obviously, they would offer these features if they were able to. It's actually more work for them from a QA and testing standpoint to make these changes in response to government regulation.

Perhaps your media campaign should be directed at changing the restrictions that the government is putting on Tesla. It's unfortunate that the test cars had features that would turn out to be undeliverable from a legal point of view. But what would the alternative be, no test drives until the car had cleared all the government hurdles?

I do agree that if they have now found out that some features are undeliverable, they should be removed from the HK website.

+1

It would be nice with some more information from Tesla. The lack of information could indicate that they are working hard on lifting these limitations, so we eventually get them lifted.

Though refusing to prepare the car for rear facing seats (but without installing them), is the largest disappointment to me. The rest can be fixed later, but once the car is produced without the bumper modification, it either cannot be retrofitted later (when/if legislation changes) or it will be cost-prohibitive (buy a new car instead would be much cheaper).