Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Restrictions on Hong Kong Model S spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure that complaining to Tesla is the right way to get the features that you want reinstated. Obviously, they would offer these features if they were able to. It's actually more work for them from a QA and testing standpoint to make these changes in response to government regulation.

Perhaps your media campaign should be directed at changing the restrictions that the government is putting on Tesla. It's unfortunate that the test cars had features that would turn out to be undeliverable from a legal point of view. But what would the alternative be, no test drives until the car had cleared all the government hurdles?

I do agree that if they have now found out that some features are undeliverable, they should be removed from the HK website.

As far as we know, the removal of Google Map is not about any government regulation issue. It is instead a 'company decision'. I think it is reasonable for us to ask for the reason behind, and what 3rd party navigation app they will be providing. Really really disappointed with how Tesla handles the flow of information. For web browser, pretty hopeless at this point I would say. The government will not change anything until they see similar thing in the mainstream.

A Tesla sales confirmed today that they will still provide 3G connectivity for free for 4 years. But its sole purpose will be pushing software updates and internet radio, what a step back for Model S in the Hong Kong market. Not that I will hate the car when I take delivery, but the overall experience is hugely discounted.

Anyone knows what the China spec is like?

As far as we know, the removal of Google Map is not about any government regulation issue. It is instead a 'company decision'. I think it is reasonable for us to ask for the reason behind, and what 3rd party navigation app they will be providing. Really really disappointed with how Tesla handles the flow of information. For web browser, pretty hopeless at this point I would say. The government will not change anything until they see similar thing in the mainstream.

A Tesla sales confirmed today that they will still provide 3G connectivity for free for 4 years. But its sole purpose will be pushing software updates and internet radio, what a step back for Model S in the Hong Kong market. Not that I will hate the car when I take delivery, but the overall experience is hugely discounted.

Anyone knows what the China spec is like?

While I agree with what you write, I would like to point out that a very important reason to have 3G in the car (or other wireless connection that works "everywhere") is to control the car from a smartphone - like turning on the air condition before you get to the car.

Although disappointed, yes, then I can still browse the internet on my iPad, and I can also use it for navigation. Or my phone. This wasn't the plan, surely, but I am sure Tesla Motors isn't doing this for fun. Maybe they are holding back information because they are fighting to lift the restrictions, at least on some of the items. I would be quite content with a browser which only works with the parking brake set, while Google maps should work also when driving (at least the directions part of it).

As mentioned by others - maybe Tesla Motors expect people from Hong Kong to want to drive into the mainland, where Google isn't too strong - for that, an offline map database (but possibly with live traffic etc), might even be a BETTER solution that Google Maps?

I totally agree with what Alipapa wrote earlier.

I wrote to Tesla asking a number of questions about this. The Navigation provider is to be advised, internet radio is a go, web browser is not allowed. I also made it clear that I ordered a car with Google Maps and live traffic as per the website as well as a browser. I will hold them to this and will expect a very significant refund if it is not provided as expected. For me, 80% of the tech package is Google Maps. I am also getting to the point where I am starting to question the purchase while I am in Hong Kong as there seems to be a continual stream of issues with broken promises.

Not having the mobile app with full functionality would be a very serious issue.

Nothing has been announced yet and we should wait before getting too upset but I would be be really pissed off if we don't get Google Maps just because the mainland doesn't want or like it. It is likely that no other mapping solution would be acceptable.

Last edited:
Ok, let's take a breath...

I think there are two separate issues here - features that Tesla can't deliver, and those that they won't deliver. Regulation/Law vs choice.

Third row seats and web browser are in the can't category. IMHO, it is wrong to blame Tesla for those - we should be complaining to government. The government here has the habit of enacting ludicrously oppressive legislation (or leaving it on the books and then not enforcing it). Just like a bunch of other places - Dumb Laws, Stupid Laws: We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!

While we are at it, remember those wing cameras on the Model X? Don't expect them in Hong Kong - the law here states the car must have reflective mirrors.

Blame the government, blame us (the citizens) for not fighting for change, but I find it hard to blame Tesla.

Change is possible. We fought for 2 years over the expressway permit issue, and got the law changed. If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't be able to drive our Model S cars to the airport, and we could have been prosecuted for breaking down on the road due to a flat battery.

As to preparing the car for third row seats, but not installing, (a) we don't know they haven't done that, and (b) from what I know it wouldn't help anyway. Even if we could get the law changed, it would take years, and going back and trying to get a registration document changed after that time seems unprecedented to me. More on that in the 3rd row seats thread on this forum.

Now on to the won't category. That is a different thing entirely. Tesla should have worked these out months / years ago, and clearly communicated it to reservation holders. The web site still says 'google maps'. The charging situation dragged on for months (and still drags on).

I don't know if the problem is that Tesla doesn't want to release bad news, so they let it leak slowly, or is really fighting to get these things in the car, but it is frustrating as hell to see a company that is executing so well fluff up such basic customer communications issues.

Sometimes any decision is better than no decision at all.

The question is why would they would they remove Google Maps? I suspect the reason would be that they've determined that the mainland requirement will determine what the HK gets. If this is the case they will piss off HK buyers big time. These sort of functions are the heart and soul of the car, it wont be anywhere near as attractive without it, and less so because of the reasons.

Well written posts here.

Mark, I agree, let's calm down for now and see what actually happens, and what the reasoning is.

TM HK seems awfully quiet at the moment, apart from when asked directly. Even the RHD test drives, less than 24 hours before the first test drive tomorrow, and no-one seem to have a confirmed time yet. Or do we just show up within that time fra and wait in line?

If LegCo can't function properly, even the government can't do much. We should really think about why we elected (and are keep electing) those ridiculous legislators.

Regarding the Mainland China's web and nav features, here's what Sina says:

导航缺位
  虽然触屏操控令人印象深刻,但遗憾的是,地图导航和3G上网服务尚未出现在“国行版”Model S上。
  目前,美国版Model S搭载了谷歌地图,用户可以下载离线地图,并使用导航功能。此外,Model S车主还可以享受免费的3G移动数据服务,在车内浏览网页。相比之下,新浪科技体验的“国行版”Model S已经将这两项实用功能阉割。
  这或许与特斯拉的“中国小伙伴”尚未做好准备有关。虽然首批Model S已经于4月22日交付,但直到交车当天,特斯拉才正式宣布将由中国联通负责提供车载网络服务。
  中国联通总经理陆益民在交车现场表示,将为特斯拉提供全面的汽车通信解决方案,实现导航、远程监控、多媒体、互联网浏览等全方位信息服务。
  在这一利好的刺激下,中国联通股价22日盘中逼近涨停,最终收盘涨2.6%,成交量是前一天的三倍。但是,由于合作关系比较复杂,特斯拉Model S的中国车主恐怕短期内很难用上导航和3G网络服务。
  根据合作协议,中国联通并不直接向特斯拉提供服务,而是需要借道爱尔兰运营商Cubic Telecom。后者将提供网络服务方案,而中国联通只是为之提供了基础网络覆盖。
  另据报道,中国联通从2012年起与Cubic Telecom合作建设云服务平台,希望以更低成本实现高速移动数据连接。双方未来的合作进展,将直接影响到特斯拉Model S何时能够添加导航和上网功能。

In English, basically same issues exist for Mainland too, but China Unicom and an Irish firm called Cubic are going to be partners and providers of 3G and Nav for the Model S. So in the not too distant future Mainland customers should have those features too.

This means....Tesla HK has probably been moving rather slow on the negotiation end with HK network operators.

They just updated their website

- - - Updated - - -

Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    313.1 KB · Views: 386
They just updated their website

View attachment 49373

The "GPS enabled homelink" seems to be listed on the websites (under Model S / Order / Tech package) for Great Britain, Europe, USA, etc. Certainly not 'just usa'. Either homelink is illegal in HK (I doubt it), or the frequencies are not supported by their module (I doubt it), or they are cutting it out to save costs. Homelink was not on the HK roadsters, but was available as an option.

If you want google maps, I suggest you write in and demand it.

Following map information I received from Tesla HK today:
There will be Google Maps in our cars, but it's only a map display (including traffic), but no routing capability.
For routing the hard drive based navigation software needs to be run.