Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retractable Door Handles - Is It Practical?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not that concerned about the durability of the mechanism. As has been pointed out, there are lots of other moving parts in the vehicle. As long as Tesla did a good design it should last the life of the car. No one is talking about the reliability of the pano roof or the automatic rear lift gate...

On the other hand, I am slightly concerned about the durability of the handles themselves. They are subject to wear and tear (scratches etc.), and if the bare aluminum gets exposed it can corrode in the salt environment. I've had aluminum door handles on other cars do that.

I guess I should post here that I have 1 problem with my car. Very minor, but irritating. My drivers door handle twitches and thinks it has retracted (switch it triggered?) and it doesn't always go in. The courtesy light turns off as soon as it 'thinks' it is in. This problem happens for a while, then it doesn't for a bit, then it does again...not temperature dependent or any specific circumstance that I have been able to notice. I can gently push the handle in (as long as fob is > 6 feet away or I am sitting in the car.) so that it looks normal when driving or parked (PITA!).

Tesla will replace it on Friday.

I think it is something very minor. I'd have ripped the door apart in a heartbeat to see what the problem was if it was any other car ( I think I signed something saying I wouldn't ;<

But this whole car is COOL. When you start going for the simple, cheap alternatives, you have ... a Leaf? a Prius? a Civic?

Or even an Aston Martin? :biggrin:

These are automatic handles on a manually operated door. That makes zero sense to me. If the door is fully automatic, then it doesn't need a handle, if it's manually operated, then IMHO it should have a manually operated handle. This is a huge amount of time and money invested in something that doesn't make sense to me at all. I don't have an MS yet, but I've played with the handles in the store. They worked just fine, but ideas like "redundant", "show off" and "sledgehammer vs nut" keep popping into my mind. Also, they're bound to add weight and downtime.

What I truly don't get is why the handles are not an option. I would pay extra for Aston Martin style handles.

I must say after 1 day of having my Model S I will have to answer: meh.

As to if I want to have them HELLS YES! They are so stupidly awesomely cool. I did a little dance every time the handles popped out right as I got close to the door. So cool.

One of my co-workers pointed out to me that if you look straight into the door handle when it is fully retracted, you can see into the gaps between the door handle and the car body. And you can actually see the wiring etc. Is this normal or is some rubber sealant missing? I'm just wondering if rain can get into these gaps?

Not to resurrect this thread, but I had to laugh at myself. I walked up to a door in my office that has a horizontal chrome pull handle. I reached down, grabbed it, paused a beat, then pulled. See how quickly we get trained? :)
Wait, I'll one up you...
Got out of my Model S yesterday, and started to walk away as I always would but this time I looked back and noticed I had not shut my door and for a nano-second, wondered why the door hadn't closed itself!

Agree with MKnox on this one. I don't have my car yet, but like some of you, have test driven one and although it was cool to experience the extending door handles, the engineer in me keep screaming "but that is going to eventually fail!!", as I can assure that it will. The coolness will wear off in time, and we will be left to deal with taking time to drive to the nearest Tesla service center to get it fixed.
It does seem somewhat impratical from the standpoint that I've NEVER owned a car where the door handle failed. Seems they could have easily designed a flush handle that is also purely mechanical.

Having said all of that, I would never consider not getting this car. Even if the door handles end up being a blemish on an otherwise flawless design, it is still better than anything currently available on the road today.

Who knows, Tesla may prove me wrong on this one too. They have a pretty good track record for beating the odds.

Has this turned into "Handlegate" yet?