Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retractable spoiler not available for P100d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I noticed the retractable spoiler is no longer an option for the P100d. The horror!

I hate spoilers, the fact it was retractable - and thus not visible when the car is parked - was the main reason for us to order the performance version. :D

One advantage of the retractable spoiler is that you can open the hatch more in the garage. I don't have the retractable spoiler and I have to duck in order to access the trunk because the spoiler would hit the open garage door. A few more inches of clearance would help a lot.

For as many engineering challenges presented by the Falcon Wing doors, you'd think leaving the retractable spoiler option pretty non-impactful to offer. It's the one thing I don't like, the fixed-spoiler that just looks like it's stuck open and should be retracted. Now that's how it will be for all Model X going forward? Bummer...

As discussed here (Model X P100D price to go up almost $10,000 4/24) it seems Model X Performance lost the retractable spoiler in the latest Design Studio change. Another thing lost to the constant streamlining?

This in addition to the impending (4/24) $9,500 price increase for the Model X P100D seems like a bitter pill to swallow.

The Design Studio used to show a retracted spoiler for Model X P100D as well as making a separate mention of the active spoiler. Now it shows the same fixed spoiler image as the rest and makes no mentions of spoiler at all.

model_x_performance_spoiler.jpg

No!!! It can't be. That was one of the reasons why I went with the performance model. I hope this is temporary. I may want to replace my X with a full AP2.0 vehicle in 2-3 years.

@vandacca in the quarterly lottery that is the Tesla purchase - you buy, you lose, you snooze, you lose.

As I say, the only way to win is to never, ever buy a Tesla. ;) Especially once you've bought the first one and chalked off the greatest benefit of owning one.

That said, the Q1/2017 seat-ventilating, spoiler-tucking, free-Supercharging, non-pack-interior-designed, Helix-clad, 10k-cheaper P100D I have doesn't seem quite as crap now. For a moment I might even be excused for thinking I won in the lottery. But trust me, my inevitable loss will be evident once Tesla comes up with a new big screen computer, revamped interior, 2170 battery or something else interesting in the quarterly games soon. It will be a bloodbath in my own blood.

You better off driving, not buying, mate.

Last edited:
For as many engineering challenges presented by the Falcon Wing doors, you'd think leaving the retractable spoiler option pretty non-impactful to offer. It's the one thing I don't like, the fixed-spoiler that just looks like it's stuck open and should be retracted. Now that's how it will be for all Model X going forward? Bummer...

It is like that electric trunk opening (now standard on Model S), they are simplifying the parts and options process. Instead of different types of trunk doors (different features), they now only have one kind in different paints... and if Tesla could get away with selling the cars in one paint color, they would.

A customer can have a car painted any color he wants as long as it’s Multi-coat Red.

Yeah, I know, it sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: WarpedOne
Why get rid of something that already exist? I am much more disappointed about the removal of the S pano roof.

The Model S pano roof is still there (just called Sunroof now). They got rid of Model S metallic roof.

As for why, well, Tesla is taking a leaf out of Model T's book... but instead of men of production line, Tesla wants to use robots... and less variations there are, more robots they can use more easily...

The Model S pano roof is still there (just called Sunroof now). They got rid of Model S metallic roof.

As for why, well, Tesla is taking a leaf out of Model T's book... but instead of men of production line, Tesla wants to use robots... and less variations there are, more robots they can use more easily...

Typo, was referring to the metal roof.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger