Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retractable spoiler not available for P100d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got an even more rare P90D with AP2 and retractable spoiler and ventilated seats
I just have a Signature Red Model X with ventilated seats, retractable spoiler and working AP1. Probably never going to be more than a couple hundred or so in the entire world. :cool: I would miss the retracting spoiler. That and the mirrors tell me from pretty much any direction that my beauty is safely locked. Sorry to see it go.

Reactions: Jurnimon
Wow. I have a Model X P100DL+ with retractable Spoiler, lifetime supercharging, and ventilated seats. Maybe it'll be a collectors item one day.

;):rolleyes::eek:

What is this DL+ extension? Don't all the P100D's have ludicrous?

I got an even more rare P90D with AP2 and retractable spoiler and ventilated seats

I just have a Signature Red Model X with ventilated seats, retractable spoiler and working AP1. Probably never going to be more than a couple hundred or so in the entire world. :cool: I would miss the retracting spoiler. That and the mirrors tell me from pretty much any direction that my beauty is safely locked. Sorry to see it go.

I've got a five-seater Founders P100D with AP2, free supercharging, ventilated seats, & active spoiler. I'm pretty sure it's the only one.

Do I win something? A pony, perhaps? :)

It is like that electric trunk opening (now standard on Model S), they are simplifying the parts and options process. Instead of different types of trunk doors (different features), they now only have one kind in different paints... and if Tesla could get away with selling the cars in one paint color, they would.

A customer can have a car painted any color he wants as long as it’s Multi-coat Red.

Yeah, I know, it sucks.
They only make two colours now for both cars, Red and drab!
It is like that electric trunk opening (now standard on Model S), they are simplifying the parts and options process. Instead of different types of trunk doors (different features), they now only have one kind in different paints... and if Tesla could get away with selling the cars in one paint color, they would.

A customer can have a car painted any color he wants as long as it’s Multi-coat Red.

Yeah, I know, it sucks.

• Funny
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
What is this DL+ extension? Don't all the P100D's have ludicrous?

I've got a five-seater Founders P100D with AP2, free supercharging, ventilated seats, & active spoiler. I'm pretty sure it's the only one.

Do I win something? A pony, perhaps? :)
So you have a one of a kind Tesla AND you want a pony??? Bonnie you are pushing it.

Someday I hope to drive to the West Coast and perhaps be lucky enough to see your rare pearl.

Reactions: Cowby and bonnie
I thought that the retracting spoiler was not necessary, and I think that there are problems with it now and will likely be in the future.
If you live in cold weather or have snow or ice the spoiler is an issue - at least it was for us. For some reason the servo would make a loud noise whenever the temp was under 35degF on our car even if there was no ice or snow. I've disabled it several times, but it seems like every time there is a software update it turns auto spoiler back on again (has done so at least twice). It also never fully disalbed it as when you opended the trunk even with spoiler set to off it would still retract - which is bad if there is ice under it. I always hate when you tell the car to do soemthing and then it does whatever it wants anyway. In my survey feedback to Tesla I stated that it needs to be easier to find the disable button for the spoiler and that it makes noise and detracts from the overall car.

As for the appearance, I've asked my wife about it and she said "the spoiler goes up and down?"... I always remind myself that the people who actually use the forums are a very small percentage of overall owners. I'm sure Tesla is getting much more feedback.

Judging by the number of spoiler complaints, I would say that it is a relatively robust implementation (eg. when compared to fwd). I don't see a lot of members complaining about retracting spoilers, but that may be due to it only being available on a smaller subset of vehicles (only P models and a few very early non-P models).

Anyway, it surprised me that they removed it because I thought it was a fine implementation. It's entirely possible that some engineer came up with a much smarter and cheaper design, so they decided to remove it until the new design is ready for production. Am I being too hopeful?

Less options for more $$$ has been the theme of all recent updates. Tesla seems desperate to simplify but also save cost on a high margin vehicle already. Hope they can get the M3 out and still innovate on S/X, and survive.

Exactly... How many other cars in this price range are missing basic luxury car features such as ventilated seats (for the entire cabin), substantially more adjustable and functional seats, heated seats that cover almost the entire surface of the seat, HUDs, 360 degree top down parking camera views, cross traffic detection, etc...???

The electric drive train and the large touch screen screen seem to be all that Tesla really has going for it from a purely car feature centric market differentiator. Yes AP certainly does count and is likely going to sell a lot of cars for Tesla as buyers overlook all that Tesla cars don't have in favor of the extremely important key differentiators they do have. However, once the competition catches up with Tesla with regards to AP and they absolutely will, Tesla is going to need more than an electric drive train and a large touch screen to compete... Especially if any of the unicorn BEVs other automakers have shown actually become reality...

Jeff

Reactions: Blastphemy
Judging by the number of spoiler complaints, I would say that it is a relatively robust implementation (eg. when compared to fwd). I don't see a lot of members complaining about retracting spoilers, but that may be due to it only being available on a smaller subset of vehicles (only P models and a few very early non-P models).

Anyway, it surprised me that they removed it because I thought it was a fine implementation. It's entirely possible that some engineer came up with a much smarter and cheaper design, so they decided to remove it until the new design is ready for production. Am I being too hopeful?
Like continuous adjust according to speed? You are on it @vandacca.......even if hard to show/prove a range or performance benefit, folks would want it.

Zero problems with my spoiler in 364 days and 23k miles. Not nearly as rare as Bonnie's unicorn, but I have a 90D with ventilated seats, free Supercharging, and active spoiler.

I can echo all of this with 40k miles in 13 months.

Even though it is super cool, I don't really care that it adjusts with speed. I just like that it folds down when the car is locked or the trunk goes up.

Like continuous adjust according to speed? You are on it @vandacca.......even if hard to show/prove a range or performance benefit, folks would want it.
Are you saying that you don't believe that the spoiler on the Model-X does anything? Or are you saying that the high-speed position is no better than the low-speed position? I guess one or both of those things are possible, and the spoiler is just some useless bling.

However, if the two positions do improve aerodynamics for their respective speeds, I don't see any reason why something special happens between 44.9 mph and 45.0 mph where all of a sudden the angled position is now better. So, assuming that the spoiler does improve aerodynamics like in other proven environments, I don't see why a more continuous angling couldn't reap additional (albeit slight) benefits.

Are you saying that you don't believe that the spoiler on the Model-X does anything? Or are you saying that the high-speed position is no better than the low-speed position? I guess one or both of those things are possible, and the spoiler is just some useless bling.

However, if the two positions do improve aerodynamics for their respective speeds, I don't see any reason why something special happens between 44.9 mph and 45.0 mph where all of a sudden the angled position is now better. So, assuming that the spoiler does improve aerodynamics like in other proven environments, I don't see why a more continuous angling couldn't reap additional (albeit slight) benefits.
Well I'm saying continuous angling is welcome, as you hinted. I'm with you. It's the proof, and to quantify the difference that will make it irresistible for some. And an upgrade option from active to this, would rock, maybe even via software over the air (pun intended).

Reactions: vandacca
I thought that the retracting spoiler was not necessary, and I think that there are problems with it now and will likely be in the future.
If you live in cold weather or have snow or ice the spoiler is an issue - at least it was for us. For some reason the servo would make a loud noise whenever the temp was under 35degF on our car even if there was no ice or snow. I've disabled it several times, but it seems like every time there is a software update it turns auto spoiler back on again (has done so at least twice). It also never fully disalbed it as when you opended the trunk even with spoiler set to off it would still retract - which is bad if there is ice under it.

That is why auto makers in general offer optional features, instead of forcing one way down on all the buyers. In fact, if I recall, wasn't the Active Spoiler optional for P already - or at least there was a button for it in the Design Studio they could have easily made optional like they do for the Model S spoiler.

I live in a cold climate and certainly have my issues with active exterior features like folding mirrors, but that means just disabling them for a couple of months usually, if even that. For most of the year I enjoy the features and always select them for my cars where available. I think losing the adaptive spoiler is a real loss for new purchases.

I always hate when you tell the car to do soemthing and then it does whatever it wants anyway.

And you went and bought a Model X? ;)