Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retractable spoiler not available for P100d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder if this is (perhaps like the charger) is the victim of statistical analysis for orders and repairs? Lots of issues with the logic/switches/motors in the spoiler, make them all fixed. Not many people get the small charger in the 100's, all are 72. Taking away the large charger from all the other models seems like overkill, though. I wonder if new purchasers will still have that as an aftermarket change (replace the charger for the higher amount)? Need to have someone check My Tesla on a car ordered recently.

Well I'm saying continuous angling is welcome, as you hinted. I'm with you. It's the proof, and to quantify the difference that will make it irresistible for some. And an upgrade option from active to this, would rock, maybe even via software over the air (pun intended).
Yeah, my gut feeling is that a continuous spoiler would improve range by a single-digit percentage point, maybe less. Might even be hard to measure. One advantage is that when looking at photos, someone should be able to use the spoiler to figure out how fast the car is going. :)

As far as utility, it will be ever so slightly more useful than modelxmas. ;)

Yeah, my gut feeling is that a continuous spoiler would improve range by a single-digit percentage point, maybe less. Might even be hard to measure. One advantage is that when looking at photos, someone should be able to use the spoiler to figure out how fast the car is going. :)

As far as utility, it will be ever so slightly more useful than modelxmas. ;)

That's OK, I still want it.:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: KrisB
My spolier groans on extension, but not consistenly. I am obviousy pissing it off, but can't recreate a repeatable situation.
Maybe just a spritz of WD40 or olive oil.....any DIYers out there? (warning: I am not, but can handle a spray can if needed)

The thing is, retractable spoilers are nothing new. They have probably been around for at least 20 years. My current and prior Audi has one and going on 9 years between the two and it goes up and down several times every day with nary an issue. Not sure what can be so complicated about a moving spoiler that confounds Tesla engineers. Probably overcomplicated the design like the pedestal seats.

The thing is, retractable spoilers are nothing new. They have probably been around for at least 20 years. My current and prior Audi has one and going on 9 years between the two and it goes up and down several times every day with nary an issue. Not sure what can be so complicated about a moving spoiler that confounds Tesla engineers. Probably overcomplicated the design like the pedestal seats.
Tesla is a new auto manufacturer and they're designing/building a lot of stuff from scratch. A lot of times, their new design approach comes up with smart, novel solutions that pushes forward the tech (eg. OTA updates).

However, sometimes this approach comes up with an inferior solution to something that already exists and has evolved for decades (eg. door handles). In a subset of the "failed" category, Tesla may simply have to iterate a few times to get it right before their new design is considered a success. Other times, they may be better off accepting the old tried-and-true solution.

But this constant re-evaluation of tradition is what makes Tesla unique and a disruptor.

I like our fixed spoiler as it seems solid, looks fine, and i didn't want to worry about one more thing breaking on an already fragile car it seems at times.

The downside is that with it always sticking up, when you raise your liftgate in the garage, there is about another 6 less inches or so it can't go up - so not a lot of clearance to get in/out of trunk area. The retractable would offer a little more lift height it seems.

I like our fixed spoiler as it seems solid, looks fine, and i didn't want to worry about one more thing breaking on an already fragile car it seems at times.

The downside is that with it always sticking up, when you raise your liftgate in the garage, there is about another 6 less inches or so it can't go up - so not a lot of clearance to get in/out of trunk area. The retractable would offer a little more lift height it seems.

Yeah, I was noticing today how it retracts as the liftgate goes up. Pretty neat. I love my retractable spoiler. And my ventilated seats. And my free supercharging.

Reactions: madodel