Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit for Steam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the infotainment for when I’m stuck waiting for a restaurant to free a table, etc
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the infotainment when I am stuck somewhere for whatever reason. However, infotainment is not the principal reason I purchased my car and life is too short (IMO) to lose your *sugar* or sue Tesla over steam not working or missing a tilting screen, or having the old tailights etc...

Lmao Tesla Tysons Corner in VA was like GTFO

Attachments

• 4852AAEC-4A40-4627-9C3B-6904E39E93A9.png
    4852AAEC-4A40-4627-9C3B-6904E39E93A9.png
    487.1 KB · Views: 322
It's a scam, would be cool if we can all consolidate on this issue in one thread though.

Reactions: Xenopotamus
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the infotainment when I am stuck somewhere for whatever reason. However, infotainment is not the principal reason I purchased my car and life is too short (IMO) to lose your *sugar* or sue Tesla over steam not working or missing a tilting screen, or having the old tailights etc...
While I’m probably not going to get my panties in a bunch about it, it would still be cool to have. And Tesla has a history of not showing for small claims court and being ordered to make repairs for free and pay for wasting the customers time. So I think anyone that wants to should. Small claims court is pretty simple and doesn’t include lawyers.

It's a scam, would be cool if we can all consolidate on this issue in one thread though.

Add me to the list of disgruntled 2021 Model S refresh owners.

Only a moderator can consolidate threads, and it would be an impossible task.

I have a model S refresh (2021) When I tried to schedule the upgrade with Tesla service they indicated that Tesla has not released any information about the retrofit in regards to the roll out, date, cost and who will be eligible. They indicated I should monitor the app under upgrades for any releases that will be coming up. And then they cancelled my service appointment. IMO and I hope the price was for this which is inline with the pricing OP originally got. Infotainment Upgrade | Tesla Support Other Europe which I believe would be different and more that what would be required with the HW already in place in the early Model S refresh . I hope I am correct and it is just a matter of updating the ram on you desktop for the refresh S's.

Last edited:
I have no inside info but I think it’s highly highly unlikely that the RAM is in a socket. It’s almost certainly soldered to the logic board.
I know for a fact it’s soldered. If you have a reflow soldering machine you could do it. But not only do you need more Ram but also the 256gb nvme ssd to match otherwise no Steam support.

$2100 for me. I figure since I bought the car before the price hikes I can justify it. It seems a lot of people just don't care about steam so they probably don't lose out, but it's a game-changer for my use case. They'll probably lower the price in the future like they did with MCU2, which was $2500 to upgrade and then later $1500.

I also agree about the small claims court thing. Tesla never promised steam, they promised Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk "in the future." Which they technically haven't lied about. They'll probably do the math, port Witcher 3 for x amount of money, or replace everyone's MCU unit for free for likely substantially more money. They'll just port 2 games, make you buy them only for the tesla, and move on.

Reactions: Zedbox and Maaz