Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit interior camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can an interior camera be retrofitted into a 2018 Model S?

It depends on what you're trying to do. Yes, you can.. there's an input switcher available that lets you switch the rear input to another (extra) camera. Some use it as a front camera, others have installed them in the cabin (e.g. watch the baby, or a pet).

@artsci and @BearBu have the products that can assist...

However, if you want to use it to record to TeslaCam, then, no, I don't believe either systems will do that.

I think I remember teardowns showing the AP2.5 computer board had a "Selfie" camera input so you should be able to plug in a Tesla camera to that but I doubt it would enable software support automatically.

I think I remember teardowns showing the AP2.5 computer board had a "Selfie" camera input so you should be able to plug in a Tesla camera to that but I doubt it would enable software support automatically.
The Model 3 AP2.5 computer does have a selfie port, but the S/X 2.5 APE computers do not. However, the S/X APE3 (“FSD Computer”) units DO have a selfie port, which isn’t currently wired to anything.

However, I’m unsure what the OP is actually considering. Perhaps he just wants an inward facing dash cam? That can be installed for dirt cheap.

Resurrecting this from the dead..

I have simular question. Has anyone wired an inside camera or is there a retrofit for it for a 2020 Model S That would plug into the selfie port On upgraded model S FSD computer?

Reason for my ask is I‘m purchasing a 2020 Model S performance and even though I dont really want so inside camera, it is kind of nice on the 3 to see see inside remotely now with newer updates. Also my biggest reason is Musk is hinting at getting away from the steering wheel nag and to me a possible way is by using the inside camera seeing where your eyes are at. If that would actually happen, and you dont have a camera you would still need to rely on the steering wheel nag.

This is all me just trying to plan ahead for the purchase of the car and using reasoning which may not even transpire.

Anyway back to question, any way to retrofit an inside camera that hooks to the selfie port for a newer model S such as 2020 before the refresh?

No, nobody has done this. Extremely unlikely somebody will. This is far from plug and play.

The autopilot computer in the 2021+ refresh is a completely different computer, in a completely different form factor, in a completely different location.

Reactions: DerbyDave
The best use of the inside camera is to remove the nagging torque required on the steering wheel to make sure you are paying attention. The camera can determine your alertness, even when not using the autopilot or FSD.

The cabin camera will be required in Europe and UK to comply with UNECE Automotive Regulation to enable use of FSD Beta. Initially camera and wheel input, later camera only. Which sucks for legacy S/X owners, unless Tesla decide to provide a retrofit solution to deliver on their software promise.

The cabin camera will be required in Europe and UK to comply with UNECE Automotive Regulation to enable use of FSD Beta. Initially camera and wheel input, later camera only. Which sucks for legacy S/X owners, unless Tesla decide to provide a retrofit solution to deliver on their software promise.
Neh, they have an out for that one - "subject to regulation". Elon has fine printed his way out of obligations so many times, this one is super simple - "EU made FSD you purchased illegal, but you can buy a new car which has a different, legal FSD".