TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Retrofit interior camera

Discussion in 'Model S' started by davidsmith17, Jan 5, 2020.

1. davidsmith17

davidsmith17 New Member

Can an interior camera be retrofitted into a 2018 Model S?

2. Hank42

Hank42 Member

Probably not, but that begs the question; Why?

3. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Anything can be done given the time, money, and expertise. But in this case I don’t think it would be easy.

4. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

I'm not sure I am understanding the question. An off the shelf camera being added ?

5. zanary

zanary Active Member

Only the Model 3 has the internal camera as part of the vehicle. There is no such camera in the Model S or Model X that we know of.

• Helpful x 1
  6. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

Oh, I see. That makes sense now. I guess OP will need to add an off the shelf camera. Actually, I didn't know the 3 had an internal camera. Good info.

7. mjptech

mjptech Being cyberbullied by TMC users PhilDavid + DCEV

It depends on what you're trying to do. Yes, you can.. there's an input switcher available that lets you switch the rear input to another (extra) camera. Some use it as a front camera, others have installed them in the cabin (e.g. watch the baby, or a pet).

@artsci and @BearBu have the products that can assist...

However, if you want to use it to record to TeslaCam, then, no, I don't believe either systems will do that.

8. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

Does the interior cam do anything in the M3?

9. mjptech

mjptech Being cyberbullied by TMC users PhilDavid + DCEV

Not at this time...

10. Chaserr

Chaserr Hyperactive Hyperdrive

I think I remember teardowns showing the AP2.5 computer board had a "Selfie" camera input so you should be able to plug in a Tesla camera to that but I doubt it would enable software support automatically.

11. kdday

kdday Active Member

The Model 3 AP2.5 computer does have a selfie port, but the S/X 2.5 APE computers do not. However, the S/X APE3 (“FSD Computer”) units DO have a selfie port, which isn’t currently wired to anything.

However, I’m unsure what the OP is actually considering. Perhaps he just wants an inward facing dash cam? That can be installed for dirt cheap.