Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I understand a horn is not a federally required part in any new car (mind blown, right?) it is assumed to be in the same place on all cars.
But it isn't assumed to be in the same place on all cars. That is why the regulations say that you have to have a horn symbol where you press to activate a horn, but only if it is anywhere but the center of the steering wheel. So, the regulations make it very clear that the horn can be anywhere the manufacturer wants it to be. (Or, as you said, federally not have one at all.)

There are plenty of cars that have the horn button(s) on the spokes. Though I think it is less common now.

I hope NHSTA can force a recall and correct the horn issue at no cost to the buyer.
I can't see any way that they can...

It is a safety issue.
Assuming it is a safety issue, the issue is the driver not knowing how to operate their vehicle. Like knowing that they can just smash their palm down on the right side of the wheel/yoke to activate the horn. (Though the manual doesn't mention that anymore, so maybe they took that away?)

Last edited:
But it isn't assumed to be in the same place on all cars. That is why the regulations say that you have to have a horn symbol where you press to activate a horn, but only if it is anywhere but the center of the steering wheel. So, the regulations make it very clear that the horn can be anywhere the manufacturer wants it to be. (Or, as you said, federally not have one at all.)

There are plenty of cars that have the horn button(s) on the spokes. Though I think it is less common now.

I can't see any way that they can...

Assuming it is a safety issue, the issue is the driver not knowing how to operate their vehicle. Like knowing that they can just smash their palm down on the right side of the wheel/yoke to activate the horn. (Though the manual doesn't mention that anymore, so maybe they took that away?)
I don't disagree on the surface, however, I know where the horn is on my car. In fact, I know where it is on 99.99% of cars.
When I drive my wife's car or a rental car or friend's car, and a horn is needed, muscle memory is needed.
The horn is a device where response time is critical.

While I appreciate you can become familiar with various cars and horn locations. It's been in the same place for every car I've ever owned.
The oldest being a 1987 I think, followed by a 1990, and I've owned/driven many, many cars and trucks across many makes.
Moving it was not done for improving the situation, it was done out of boredom or most likely hubris.

In fact, I can prove it's foolish at best, and dangerous at worst.
The 2024 Tesla's dropped the asinine horn button.

The decision to change back most likely cost thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. You don't decide to change back lightly.

User friction, potential lawsuits, recalls, etc. I am sure all played into the decision.

Whoever let this go to production (the button not in center) should be terminated. I don't blame the person who thought it was different/good/better. I blame the person who didn't ask WHY hard enough. What value does this add? What could go wrong? If your change is good enough, send it! If your change actively makes things harder for users... fail fast. (and... what 3 years later they fixed what they broke).

I'd bet the list of 2024 cars with the horn not activated by pressing the center area/airbag is very, very short. Especially any made in the 10s of thousands. I don't think it would be fair to count any car with a production run of fewer than the S/X count divided by 2.

Talked with service again today in BC, and they said that unless the steering wheel was failing in some way, they won't replace it. I asked about stitching. They said that the bottom stitching can fail half-way, but since you don't hold the wheel there most of the time... it wouldn't count since it's not impactful to your driving.

My ~145k new plaid... feels less worthy after the experience I have with service people lately...

Tesla using a horn button was insanely stupid.
Talked with service again today in BC, and they said that unless the steering wheel was failing in some way, they won't replace it. I asked about stitching. They said that the bottom stitching can fail half-way, but since you don't hold the wheel there most of the time... it wouldn't count since it's not impactful to your driving.

My ~145k new plaid... feels less worthy after the experience I have with service people lately...
On teslas website it shows the bulletin about the peeling yoke and replacement for it. Tesla fought me on it but when I sent them that they approved it. Keep pushing back on them. Its a design defect and they need to replace it.

I found this PDF. I think tesla scrubbed from their site so maybe its internal only now.

Tesla using a horn button was insanely stupid.

On teslas website it shows the bulletin about the peeling yoke and replacement for it. Tesla fought me on it but when I sent them that they approved it. Keep pushing back on them. Its a design defect and they need to replace it.

I found this PDF. I think tesla scrubbed from their site so maybe its internal only now.

I have a regular steering wheel. I saved like 30k buying a 2023 so they would get inventory, and I still have access to steam... but

insurance is double (based on original msrp)
no horn

I'll think about swapping it out, or buy someone's mechanical horn yoke for way less than 2k that tesla wants...

I have a regular steering wheel. I saved like 30k buying a 2023 so they would get inventory, and I still have access to steam... but

insurance is double (based on original msrp)
no horn

I'll think about swapping it out, or buy someone's mechanical horn yoke for way less than 2k that tesla wants...
Theres a guy on here that sells round or yoke with a center horn for $700-$750 and they are new. He's on ebay too. It includes the airbag. Its where I got the round wheel from. I just sold my yoke with a center horn for $550 because my round one came in.

I drive in NYC traffic and I’m so sick and tired of fumbling for the horn button - just today in my commute back from work a bus tried to push me out of the lane in bumper to bumper traffic and I kept hitting the scroll wheel instead, causing my wheels to shudder (presumably from FSD trying to recenter me and getting confused from the frequency of engage from button / disengage from braking). Yoke or wheel, just need that center horn! It’s outright dangerous where I drive with the original incredibly poorly thought out idea of a button.

Moderator note: Please note that offers or requests to buy, sell, or trade steering wheels and yokes must be posted as Marketplace listings and nowhere else, including this thread or other threads where such things are discussed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Bruce.

Moderator note: Please note that offers or requests to buy, sell, or trade steering wheels and yokes must be posted as Marketplace listings and nowhere else, including this thread or other threads where such things are discussed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Bruce.
To be fair, no one is offering to buy or sell anything in this thread, people just discuss their experiences and “at worst” what they paid for, but thanks for the note, I wasn’t even aware of this restriction.

Reactions: bmah
I drive in NYC traffic and I’m so sick and tired of fumbling for the horn button - just today in my commute back from work a bus tried to push me out of the lane in bumper to bumper traffic and I kept hitting the scroll wheel instead, causing my wheels to shudder (presumably from FSD trying to recenter me and getting confused from the frequency of engage from button / disengage from braking). Yoke or wheel, just need that center horn! It’s outright dangerous where I drive with the original incredibly poorly thought out idea of a button.

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpeg
    IMG_2072.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 9