Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit OEM power lift gate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you get the chance to check if it works with the sensors installed?

Confirmed today that adding the pinch sensors does not help. Unless you hack the car and change the power lift gate option from false/off to true/on, you cannot add power lift gate using OEM parts. :(

Attachments

• B3566502-76FB-4174-9C5C-61A2793E3486.jpeg
    B3566502-76FB-4174-9C5C-61A2793E3486.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 155
Thank you for letting us know. Do you happen to know if a firmware redeploy is required after replacing/swapping the liftgate module? I”m pretty much stuck at the same point of installing this retrofit, although I do not have the pinch sensors yet....

I believe the short answer is yes. However, I’ve had at least 2 firmware updates since installing the module, and the car did not automatically add that feature. Pretty sure you need to change the power lift gate variable from false to true, then do a redeploy.

Reactions: appleguru
Thank you for all the details! I'm going to follow in your footsteps for the hardware. (I have some ideas for the software).

Any tips on how to install things (especially the cinching actuator and pinch sensors) is greatly appreciated.

Follow up question about the cinching actuator: Could you confirm which parts I must buy and which are already present in the normal liftgate? For example is "Liftgate Latch (6006654-00-B)" necessary?

If you had a moment to write up the final part list, I would appreciate it. It's currently spread across a few posts with some speculation involved.

Below list is accurate for my car (2016 pre-facelift):

1) PLG Control Module (1007511-00-A)

2) Liftgate Power Strut (6006610-00-C)...don’t need drivers side, but recommend getting it as well so the look of the struts match.

3) Pull cup (1009264-00-E) and PLG switch (1010327-00-A)

4) Wiring Harness (1004428-00-R)

5) Anti Pinch Sensor Assemblies (Left: 6007576-00-C, Right: 6007570-00-C), also need 12 or so of the "push clip - anti pinch sen" which is PN 1008784-00-A. My lift gate did not have the mounting holes for these, you’d have to drill lots of holes, or maybe used double sided tape but still need a hole for electrical connection. I did not install.

6) Cinching Actuator (1003549-00-B), Cinching Cable (1008186-00-B) and Liftgate Latch (6006654-00-B), not positive if the latch is needed, may be able to use old one (they look pretty much identical I’m pretty sure), but I did not try as the new cinching actuator and latch were connected together when I received them, so I just replaced it. Also need (3) 1016389-00-A to mount the cinching actuator, which just bolts right in above the latch.

7) Power Lift Gate Chime (1003550-00-A), also need the two mounting screws and the nuts that pop into place.

8) 3 longer bolts (50mm vs 25mm currently in car) to mount PLG module (1008177-00-A).

Thank you for all the details! I'm going to follow in your footsteps for the hardware. (I have some ideas for the software).

Any tips on how to install things (especially the cinching actuator and pinch sensors) is greatly appreciated.

Follow up question about the cinching actuator: Could you confirm which parts I must buy and which are already present in the normal liftgate? For example is "Liftgate Latch (6006654-00-B)" necessary?

If you had a moment to write up the final part list, I would appreciate it. It's currently spread across a few posts with some speculation involved.
Are you willing to share your software idea? Maybe via PM?

FWIW I have a 2016 MS Refresh without PUP. I purchased and installed OEM fog lights and swapped out my original lights w/o fogs. The DRL portion on the fogs worked out of the box, but not the actual fog itself.

A Tesla mobile tech was working on my car for an unrelated issue and he updated the software to add the button to turn the fogs on/off.

I only say this to say; maybe Tesla would be willing to turn the “lift gate” flag from off to on.

Is it possible you could use a control box from a third party?
Or even figure out which cabel that receives signal on the original control box, and connect the switch?

If you go aftermarket, it’s doable. You won’t get UI control but you’d have a power lift gate.

I don’t think anyone makes a specific kit for Tesla, but it’s about finding the right lengths and power so there may be an existing kit that works.

https://www.voxxelectronics.com/advanced-driver-assistance/power-lift-gate/

If you go aftermarket, it’s doable. You won’t get UI control but you’d have a power lift gate.

I don’t think anyone makes a specific kit for Tesla, but it’s about finding the right lengths and power so there may be an existing kit that works.

https://www.voxxelectronics.com/advanced-driver-assistance/power-lift-gate/

The CoZero aftermarket kit seems to say that you can control using the UI. Maybe that's only for open and not for close?

Power Liftgate for Model S – COzero International