Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return HomeLink and Go with MyQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my first issue today with MyQ integration. Upon leaving for the day to do some holiday shopping g I received an error and could not open the garage door from the Tesla Screen. I was able to open it from the MyQ app. Below are some screenshots of the error. The car was in park so I believe it was connected to my wifi. The error was still present a few miles down the road while on LTE service so I don’t think that was the issue. At some point in the day I noticed the integration started to work again.

Not sure what happened but will keep an eye on it.

3321159C-641F-43EA-97C9-90C6D970FCDB.jpeg
F2CE7025-A572-4A86-9EC3-9047ACA97DC5.jpeg

As long as you back in and go straight to PARK from REVERSE w/o putting your car in DRIVE, then Auto-close will work the next time you open your garage door and drive away at a distance greater than 7m. (HomeLink recognizes that you entered your garage in REVERSE and later drive away using DRIVE.)
Explains why after washing car Homelink closed on my M3 (traded-in for MY) in 2018. I skip auto open/close for the other reason of closing the door upon approach when my spouse is unloading groceries with the tailgate open. I wished Homelink was smarter (with open and close button) but not too smart to charge a vehicle-specific subscription fee. I have both paid $350 Tesla Homelink and $600 MyQ-equipped WiFi Liftmaster WLED opener.

As long as you back in and go straight to PARK from REVERSE w/o putting your car in DRIVE, then Auto-close will work the next time you open your garage door and drive away at a distance greater than 7m. (HomeLink recognizes that you entered your garage in REVERSE and later drive away using DRIVE.)
It never occurred to me that they use the drive direction to determine whether Homelink should auto-open/auto-close. But this explains why I have never had consistent results with auto-close. At my home, I pull into the garage, but I always back up to check how close I am to the very back of the garage with the camera. Sometimes I pull forward afterwards, sometimes I don't. My guess is the times I don't pull forward, Homelink doesn't trigger an auto-close because I went from reverse to reverse.

In my vacation home, I always back in because it's a snowy location. I go from reverse to park and it's always reliably closing the door when I leave. Makes sense.

It never occurred to me that they use the drive direction to determine whether Homelink should auto-open/auto-close. But this explains why I have never had consistent results with auto-close. At my home, I pull into the garage, but I always back up to check how close I am to the very back of the garage with the camera. Sometimes I pull forward afterwards, sometimes I don't. My guess is the times I don't pull forward, Homelink doesn't trigger an auto-close because I went from reverse to reverse.

In my vacation home, I always back in because it's a snowy location. I go from reverse to park and it's always reliably closing the door when I leave. Makes sense.
No, it relies on the opposite gear from when Auto-open occurred. If you back in, then don’t put it in DRIVE before PARK. When you leave, put it in DRIVE to pull out, and after 7m, Auto-close will trigger. This info came to me from a TESLA technician who found an internal article, and it was validated in reality by me.

I just updated our 2023 Model Y with the myq and the auto “open” has been working fine but when we leave, the auto “close” feature doesnt work so I would have to touch the “close” button that appears on the upper portion of the screen in the car which then takes some time to close while the safety feature of the garage opener is activated and beeping.

Anyone else have this issue? One thing I want to mention is that we do adjust our parking in the garage when we arrive home with reversing a bit. Does this affect the auto close feature? It shouldnt right?

Thanks in advance!

I just updated our 2023 Model Y with the myq and the auto “open” has been working fine but when we leave, the auto “close” feature doesnt work so I would have to touch the “close” button that appears on the upper portion of the screen in the car which then takes some time to close while the safety feature of the garage opener is activated and beeping.

Anyone else have this issue? One thing I want to mention is that we do adjust our parking in the garage when we arrive home with reversing a bit. Does this affect the auto close feature? It shouldnt right?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, putting the car in reverse (assuming you pull in forward and not backward) does mess with the Auto-close. (TESLA technician told me he found internally published article/s detailing this.) I know this for a fact with HomeLink, but I wasn’t sure if this was true also for MyQ. I just keep the reverse camera up when I pull forward into the garage to ensure that I don’t pull too far forward. Ever since I began doing this, Auto-close works like a champ!

BTW: Are you sure you are using MyQ and not HomeLink? Does your TESLA have the HomeLink hardware?

Mine has been pretty consistent on opening and closing automatically. I think part of the reason is because I have strong cellular connectivity at the car which is required to activate opening and closing of the garage door.

Can you confirm you have good cell connectivity at the car?

Reactions: SalisburySam
Yes, putting the car in reverse (assuming you pull in forward and not backward) does mess with the Auto-close. (TESLA technician told me he found internally published article/s detailing this.) I know this for a fact with HomeLink, but I wasn’t sure if this was true also for MyQ. I just keep the reverse camera up when I pull forward into the garage to ensure that I don’t pull too far forward. Ever since I began doing this, Auto-close works like a champ!

BTW: Are you sure you are using MyQ and not HomeLink? Does your TESLA have the HomeLink hardware?
Just myq, my Y doesn’t have the homelink

Reactions: THEbuz
Mine has been pretty consistent on opening and closing automatically. I think part of the reason is because I have strong cellular connectivity at the car which is required to activate opening and closing of the garage door.

Yup, connectivity isn’t an issue. Auto opens fine everytime. Just doesn’t close with myq automatically when leaving

I have terrible cell coverage in my garage but also when my car goes into hard sleep all network connectivity is dead for a few minutes

Needless to say I just use the old fashioned close button on visor remote when leaving

Thanks in advance!
I found that opening from the screen with the car in drive already doesn’t trigger auto close… but opening from the button in the garage before or opening from screen with the car still in park does trigger it

I found that opening from the screen with the car in drive already doesn’t trigger auto close… but opening from the button in the garage before or opening from screen with the car still in park does trigger it
I also thought that mattered, but the TESLA technician has explained to me (and I have validated through usage) that it does not matter if you OPEN/CLOSE the garage door from your wall console or from your screen at the time you park in your garage, as long as you don’t toggle back and forth between D and R when parking—but rather just set it to P—then the next time you pull out of the garage, HomeLink will work just fine.

Another reason I prefer HomeLink over MyQ is that HomeLink is not cellular data dependent, while MyQ is. MyQ only works with MyQ-enabled garage door openers. HomeLink works with ALL garage door openers. Eventually, most people will move and may no longer have a MyQ garage door opener, in which case MyQ is obsolete in your TESLA, or you’ll have to purchase a MyQ hardware adapter for your garage door opener. Even if my TESLA gets totaled, chances are that I can remove the HomeLink hardware from my totaled TESLA and install it on my new TESLA—unless the collision has damaged the HomeLink hardware.

Reactions: cmy4x4
For some reason, MyQ has not opened/closed door automatically yet or fold in mirrors when I park. I rebooted my Tesla and checked all the settings and still the same issues. Any ideas?

I have Homelink too, which always worked, but turned off those settings to try MyQ.

My refreshed S came with Homelink already installed. Once connected, it has been flawless and has worked with power outages (battery backup) and internet outages. MyQ went offline the first week when the internut disconnected. I will keep the MyQ on my phone since it is free and lets me control/monitor remotely. However, the car will use Homelink only and I will stop MyQ once the free trial is over.

Reactions: cmy4x4
I also thought that mattered, but the TESLA technician has explained to me (and I have validated through usage) that it does not matter if you OPEN/CLOSE the garage door from your wall console or from your screen at the time you park in your garage, as long as you don’t toggle back and forth between D and R when parking—but rather just set it to P—then the next time you pull out of the garage, HomeLink will work just fine.
I'm talking about MyQ and I wouldn't trust anything a Tesla technician said about MyQ since it just came out, it has different quirks than homelink