Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of phantom 16 amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed my charge is at 16 amp max.

Why is this? Charged at 32 before.
I don’t have a crystal ball so you’ll need to give a bit more info. e.g did it charge at 32 then drop to 16 part way through the charging period? Did the display in the app or in the car show that the charge point was offering 32amps throughout the charge? …. Or have you just seen 16amps displayed on the charging screen when not actually charging and assumed that is your limit?

Reactions: init6
I don’t have a crystal ball so you’ll need to give a bit more info. e.g did it charge at 32 then drop to 16 part way through the charging period? Did the display in the app or in the car show that the charge point was offering 32amps throughout the charge? …. Or have you just seen 16amps displayed on the charging screen when not actually charging and assumed that is your limit?
Not sure. Both the app and car are saying 16amp max when i should be getting 32amp. Have a home Hypervolt charger. Had 32 before.
F32B94FB-F111-49B8-BE70-0534856799FB.jpeg
6D5E93FF-2648-49EC-B1C1-4A5FD1810956.png

The car needs to be plugged in to an active charge point to pick up the info from the pilot on the charge cable.

First one car is not plugged in but on second one even though it does look like it’s plugged in it’s possible charge point is not giving out any charge details - not set to charge maybe?

Reactions: Staypuffman
Ok. WIll have a look tonight.
As others are saying, that displayed "16 A" when not actually charging means nothing. Mine says exactly the same yet when the charge starts it ramps up to 32amps exactly as expected. The other thing to look for (on the car screen and/or app when you are actually charging) is the rate of charging in amps which will show as two figures separated with a slash eg 32/32amp ... that means the charge point is offering 32amps, the car recognises that the charge point is offering 32amps AND the car is actually charging at 32amps at this moment. Those figures will potentially change in real time during the charging process... if it shows 16/32 then the car understands that it is being offered 32 amps but has decided for its own reasons only to draw the lower figure.* If you watch the screen or app when a charging session starts you'll see these numbers changing as the charging ramps up to its full rate.

* Sometimes this is normal for short periods but the "phantom 16 amp charging" refers to a situation where the car consistently, for no apparent reason, will only charge at 16 amps when being offered 32 amps by the charge point.

• Informative
Reactions: WannabeOwner