Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of phantom 16 amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New m3p owner here and also to this Forum.

wallbox pulsar plus set at max 32amp
Set to 00.00-05.00 schedule

Tesla charger App set to no schedule

wallbox starts charging at the correct time 00.00. But only at 16amp max
is there something im missing?

Also tried them both at schedule time but doesn't make any difference.

firmware 2020.24.6.9 i believe

cheers
Tom

cheers
Tom
Yes, you're missing version 2020.28 - so wait for that update and hopefully it'll be resolved.

cheers
Tom
I disagree with bhavs answer (funny though it was :) )
if it starts charging at 16 amps and will not charge higher whatever you do then that is not the 16amp bug. the symptom of that is that it starts ok at 32amp then randomly drops to 16 minutes or hours later.
What does the display in the car show? if it is showing 16/16 and you cannot get that to change even by disconnecting and re-connecting then that means the car thinks that the charger will only supply 16 amps max so that is the max it is trying to extract.
if its a 32 amp charger then that means either there is an issue with the car or the charger
if possible try a different charger or a different car on your charger and try to figure out which it is

if it starts charging at 16 amps and will not charge higher whatever you do then that is not the 16amp bug. the symptom of that is that it starts ok at 32amp then randomly drops to 16 minutes or hours later.
What does the display in the car show? if it is showing 16/16 and you cannot get that to change even by disconnecting and re-connecting then that means the car thinks that the charger will only supply 16 amps max so that is the max it is trying to extract.
if its a 32 amp charger then that means either there is an issue with the car or the charger
if possible try a different charger or a different car on your charger and try to figure out which it is
Fair point - bug I'm referring to is indeed the one where it starts at 32amps and drops down to 16

Got a response from tesla which confirms what everyone else has said:

"Good afternoon, this issue is a current firmware bug due to be fixed on firmware 2020.28. There is no need for a booking as this will be sent to your vehicle remotely hopefully within the next few weeks. A temporary measure is to reset the charging via the app or the charger. I will close your booking as no need for a mobile visit. Kind regards Tesla service."

I did ask if i could get the update quicker as I charge overnight 00:30-4:30, (octopus), waiting for response.

Got home from work and went to charge
This is what i did.

Tesla schedule in car set to OFF
bottom left says 5amp so I've maxed it to 32amp.
Went back on the wallbox and set up a schedule for like 17:18-17.25

All worked And 32amp charging i will do a test tonight and see what happens.
The only thing that i might of missed is the setting of the amp in the bottom corner but im sure i did this
I will report back later

Got home from work and went to charge
This is what i did.

Tesla schedule in car set to OFF
bottom left says 5amp so I've maxed it to 32amp.
Went back on the wallbox and set up a schedule for like 17:18-17.25

All worked And 32amp charging i will do a test tonight and see what happens.
The only thing that i might of missed is the setting of the amp in the bottom corner but im sure i did this
I will report back later
Yes only difference might be the car waking up from sleep vs it being awake in your test

Just got 2020.28.something. First time I've seen this in a while (solid 32A) :):

upload_2020-8-6_11-33-4.png

Last edited:
The car had its first charge last night since installing 2020.28.6. Here is the detail from TeslaMate:

79D95B6D-D2F0-4DC6-9BA6-D502EE607CA1.jpeg

They seem to have fixed the 16A bug, but have they introduced a different one?

If you look at the Current (blue) line, you can see that it mostly stayed at 32A, starting at 2030, but it had a wobble at about 2050, and a major wobble at about 2250, both where the current repeatedly dropped back to zero, then ramped back up to 32A.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour since going to 28.6?

The car had its first charge last night since installing 2020.28.6. Here is the detail from TeslaMate:

View attachment 573798

They seem to have fixed the 16A bug, but have they introduced a different one?

If you look at the Current (blue) line, you can see that it mostly stayed at 32A, starting at 2030, but it had a wobble at about 2050, and a major wobble at about 2250, both where the current repeatedly dropped back to zero, then ramped back up to 32A.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour since going to 28.6?
No, but I had it with the previous release!

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.