Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse warning and/or auto stop feature request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this might just be me but I find the drive/reverse stick really counter intuitive. For me it feels far more natural to push up to go forwards and down to go backwards. I mean if you were going to direct someone on the street you would naturally move your arm forward and upwards to direct them somewhere in front of you so why is reverse upwards?

I thought I'd get used to this and to some extent I have when setting off in the car. But when it comes to parking I always seem to end up getting mixed up as I go from forward to reverse. Like I say, maybe it's just me but it would be good to hear what others think.

But this has meant that there have been a number of times where I've accidentally gone into reverse when I wanted to go forwards, luckily most of the times this hasn't resulted in me hitting someone or something. However I now have had two incidents where this has happened. The first was about two weeks after owning the car, I was pulling out of a space, accidentally went back and scrapped the front wheel slightly.

Then two days ago I was parking into a space between two cars. Pulled up next to the front car and reversed perfectly into the space (If I must say so myself ). I used the camera to make sure I'd backed up as close as I dared to the rear car and then also used the wing mirrors to check my wheels weren't going to scrape. Looked ahead to see how much further forward I now needed to move the car. Whacked the stick up and reversed straight into the car behind!!

It sounds stupid because as I've read elsewhere on other threads 'why didn't I see the massive camera image?' Well the reason I didn't see it was because I was looking out the front making sure that when I moved forward I didn't hit the car in front.

Luckily there was very minimal damage. The car behind was a range rover and my car hit their big rubber section of their bumpers so no damage to theirs at all. My car seemed fine too but I then noticed a slight crease in the PPF wrap that even after heating I can't remove completely. It basically looks like a small blade of grass or a hair on the bottom part of the bumper. I'm thankful I have the PPF as I'm pretty sure there is no damage to the paint work.

But this has got me thinking. Wouldn't it be a good idea to add a beep or a warning sound when you go into reverse. I'm not talking about a constant beep, like what you get with some cars when you haven't got your seat belt on. I mean something like the car speaking 'reverse' just once so you know you've engaged it or one chime...although I prefer the 'reverse' as the car already has so many chimes it sometimes sounds like it's trying to play a tune. This could be an option in the menu so you could have it off if you so wished.

I then wondered what the disadvantage would be to just program the car so that if it's an inch or so away from an object then you can't actually move in that direction. I can only think of a small amount of times when you'd actually wish to be able to knock into an object and these would all be based on extreme cases. Again maybe this could be an option that you can turn off.

What do you guys think?

But this has got me thinking. Wouldn't it be a good idea to add a beep or a warning sound when you go into reverse. I'm not talking about a constant beep, like what you get with some cars when you haven't got your seat belt on. I mean something like the car speaking 'reverse' just once so you know you've engaged it or one chime...although I prefer the 'reverse' as the car already has so many chimes it sometimes sounds like it's trying to play a tune. This could be an option in the menu so you could have it off if you so wished.

I then wondered what the disadvantage would be to just program the car so that if it's an inch or so away from an object then you can't actually move in that direction. I can only think of a small amount of times when you'd actually wish to be able to knock into an object and these would all be based on extreme cases. Again maybe this could be an option that you can turn off.

Yes these. +1
I once got it wrong on our Passat DSG - no problem as it was a Passat not a rocket ship so didn't hit anything as time to react.

Not sure if I agree with the stork being wrong - I will know once I get the car, but how you described how it works makes sense to me.

It’s that way round on all other automatic cars with a gear stalk on the wheel. Just need to get used to it
Yes Ive heard this but I've never used one of those before so maybe that's why it's taking me longer to get used to.

My Brother made a good point that cars that have 'creep' give you that for-warning of what gear you're in because the car will naturally start to move very slowly in that direction as you raise your clutch. So that is one reason to keep the 'creep' function on in the Tesla. Although I personally see it as more beneficial having it off.

So although I agree it may be just me needing to get used to it, I would still argue that there are going to be a lot of people coming for traditional gear stick cars that are going to have a period of getting comfortable with the layout and thus having some sort of warning could only be a good thing.

Reactions: MrBadger
reverse voice over... ,makes me think of how the Eurofighter typhoons voice gets to be rather annoying when it want to tell the pilot something.
Wait....are you saying you're a Typhoon pilot. If so that's amazing.

I don't think I use reverse enough for a one off warning every time I do use it to be annoying. And like I mention you could always have the option to turn it off.

I think there is a bit of heredity from Mercedes - the Model S had Mercedes stalks.
The up for reverse and down to drive is the same on my Mercedes.
Since the stalk is physically labelled accordingly it would not be just a software change.
Additionally, any such change would have me ranting!!

As far as another audio warning... the damn thing bings and bongs quite enough thank you.

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
I think there is a bit of heredity from Mercedes - the Model S had Mercedes stalks.
The up for reverse and down to drive is the same on my Mercedes.
Since the stalk is physically labelled accordingly it would not be just a software change.
Additionally, any such change would have me ranting!!
Yes I agree, I'm not saying they should change the direction, that's just my view on why I think I'm getting the direction wrong. But I do think they should add an option to be alerted when going into reverse.

So this might just be me but I find the drive/reverse stick really counter intuitive. For me it feels far more natural to push up to go forwards and down to go backwards. I mean if you were going to direct someone on the street you would naturally move your arm forward and upwards to direct them somewhere in front of you so why is reverse upwards?

I thought I'd get used to this and to some extent I have when setting off in the car. But when it comes to parking I always seem to end up getting mixed up as I go from forward to reverse. Like I say, maybe it's just me but it would be good to hear what others think.

But this has meant that there have been a number of times where I've accidentally gone into reverse when I wanted to go forwards, luckily most of the times this hasn't resulted in me hitting someone or something. However I now have had two incidents where this has happened. The first was about two weeks after owning the car, I was pulling out of a space, accidentally went back and scrapped the front wheel slightly.

Then two days ago I was parking into a space between two cars. Pulled up next to the front car and reversed perfectly into the space (If I must say so myself ). I used the camera to make sure I'd backed up as close as I dared to the rear car and then also used the wing mirrors to check my wheels weren't going to scrape. Looked ahead to see how much further forward I now needed to move the car. Whacked the stick up and reversed straight into the car behind!!

It sounds stupid because as I've read elsewhere on other threads 'why didn't I see the massive camera image?' Well the reason I didn't see it was because I was looking out the front making sure that when I moved forward I didn't hit the car in front.

Luckily there was very minimal damage. The car behind was a range rover and my car hit their big rubber section of their bumpers so no damage to theirs at all. My car seemed fine too but I then noticed a slight crease in the PPF wrap that even after heating I can't remove completely. It basically looks like a small blade of grass or a hair on the bottom part of the bumper. I'm thankful I have the PPF as I'm pretty sure there is no damage to the paint work.

What do you guys think?
Was struggling a bit until I just thought D, Down for Drive, might help you

Wait....are you saying you're a Typhoon pilot. If so that's amazing.

I don't think I use reverse enough for a one off warning every time I do use it to be annoying. And like I mention you could always have the option to turn it off.

No I am an engineer I worked as an apprentice in systems integration testing cockpit softwesr and softwesr drops.
Then came out my time as a design engineer in typhoon. I'm on concept designs now.

The order of PRND and the direction of motion on the "shifter" is set by the FMVSS regulations and has been the same on every "automatic" car for a very long time. (From Neutral: Down or towards you to go into drive, up or away from you to go into reverse.)

I am assuming that you came from a stick shift car?

The order of PRND and the direction of motion on the "shifter" is set by the FMVSS regulations and has been the same on every "automatic" car for a very long time. (From Neutral: Down or towards you to go into drive, up or away from you to go into reverse.)

I am assuming that you came from a stick shift car?
Yeah I'm sure they thought about this and it was the best solution but I just haven't got used to yet and yep I came from a stick shift.

I can't get used to the damned indicators - I have had them in every car and I'm sure #MP3Mike will tell me the regulations about them but Tesla have somehow made these different.
Or is it just me?

The Model S&X shifter stalk is actually a Mercedes part, but the Model 3 is pretty much setup the same way. (With the addition of the AP features.) But yeah it differs from other manufactures. And it seems like more and more manufacturers are coming up with unique ways to implement the shifter while still meeting the FMVSS regulations.