Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reversing camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a 100% sure it will have the reverse view, they need to install it for Autopilot and there is no good reason not to make it available for the driver.
And it doesn't look like the back window is that easy to look out of (just like S & X) so for safety reasons they should enable it as well.

Reactions: Runt8
It was even on the alpha...
IiBGSR.jpg

I'm a 100% sure it will have the reverse view, they need to install it for Autopilot and there is no good reason not to make it available for the driver.
And it doesn't look like the back window is that easy to look out of (just like S & X) so for safety reasons they should enable it as well.

If the big screen computer is still a separate computer on the Model 3, Tesla could theoretically remove the cable between AP to that computer as a cost savings and make a premium pack item or something (on existing AP2 cars the reverse camera is wired to AP and then from there to the big screen unit)... Not saying Tesla would do this, but it would be something they could justify. AP could still use the camera but the driver could not.

That said, it is possible Model 3 has a completely different setup for the computers anyway. Nor am I expect this happening, just theorizing.

I'm not debating if its useful or not. I am saying it not reasonable to expect them to do it. They have higher priorities and I don't mind forgoing some notification that is my responsibility to make sure is okay or secure. We managed for years without it. Excuse me for not agreeing with your or believing in your opinion that its easy to implement. Easy in your estimation does not mean its easy for them to do it. They would know, we don't. I guess it comes down to this, I know how to close the door on my car.

If the big screen computer is still a separate computer on the Model 3, Tesla could theoretically remove the cable between AP to that computer as a cost savings and make a premium pack item or something (on existing AP2 cars the reverse camera is wired to AP and then from there to the big screen unit)... Not saying Tesla would do this, but it would be something they could justify. AP could still use the camera but the driver could not.

That said, it is possible Model 3 has a completely different setup for the computers anyway. Nor am I expect this happening, just theorizing.

This is true, there is no guarantee that they will include it, but I would think they would keep same setup as the S and X. I know there is a lot of discussion at the moment regarding people should have realistic expectations to the 3, but I really don't see a reverse cam as something very luxurious anymore.

But just like you, I'm only theorizing as well. Just like the creators of Internet forums intended ;)

Reactions: AnxietyRanger

Except they could no longer sell the car in the US, which would be a bit of a problem.