Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review: Magnetic Power 2 XVIDA Qi Charger - The perfect Model 3 mount?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised that it still charges wireless through that metal card.
Could probably try this one and bend the metal frame and double stick tape it to the back of the screen. Would be less "stuff" in the back with this method.

https://www.amazon.com/Neotrix-Magn...1092&sr=8-32&keywords=magnet+wireless+charger

The card is not metal. It's plastic, with small thin round magnets at each of the four corners. The whole back of the card is covered with a thin plastic film that hides the magnets.

YES! This is what sold me on XVIDA from the start — when I first reached out to them to ask whether the mounting arm could accommodate the angle needed for the model 3, I got a reply immediately, including some of the proof of concept photos and videos I posted in the original review. I had never heard of them before, and cynically assumed they were probably just one of those mass market manufacturers from China, pumping out low quality garbage and selling it under different names on Amazon and eBay, complete with fake 5 star reviews. But Mark’s reply proved to me that they were different (and turns out, they operate out of Europe). He knew about the Model 3, and was eager to help me test it out to make sure it would work.

Glad they were able to take care of you and troubleshoot your problem!

Here's another example of the exceptional customer service. After Mark helped me solve the problem with the magnetic card, I emailed him to ask whether they could make a modified version of the desk stand. If you don't know it here's a photo:

W-DESK2-BK_PERSP-GRAY_bg-04-BG_large.jpg

I have this on my night stand and attach the phone to charge while I'm asleep. I want a straight version of this so I can mount it to the back of my Model 3 touch screen with double side tape with the phone mounted horizontally at the top left side of the screen. Mark asked for an illustration of what I wanted, which I eagerly provided. My hope is that this will be a much cleaner and less bulky install than the suction mount. Of course I won't have the flexibility of the suction mount but a cleaner install is more important to me. I also have the suction mount as a back up:)

Here's another example of the exceptional customer service. After Mark helped me solve the problem with the magnetic card, I emailed him to ask whether they could make a modified version of the desk stand. If you don't know it here's a photo:

W-DESK2-BK_PERSP-GRAY_bg-04-BG_large.jpg

I have this on my night stand and attach the phone to charge while I'm asleep. I want a straight version of this so I can mount it to the back of my Model 3 touch screen with double side tape with the phone mounted horizontally at the top left side of the screen. Mark asked for an illustration of what I wanted, which I eagerly provided. My hope is that this will be a much cleaner and less bulky install than the suction mount. Of course I won't have the flexibility of the suction mount but a cleaner install is more important to me. I also have the suction mount as a back up:)
That’s an interesting idea. I wonder if double sided tape would hold up to the heat that it would experience in direct sunlight? Maybe using the suction cup there, instead of the tape, would add some security?

Hope they can help you, but I also get the sense that they are a pretty small company, trying to carve out a name for themselves in an industry dominated by cheap knockoffs. Not saying it’s impossible, but it may be a big ask for them, at this stage of the game. Certainly the more Tesla business we can steer toward them, the better able they will be to customize solutions for us!

That’s an interesting idea. I wonder if double sided tape would hold up to the heat that it would experience in direct sunlight? Maybe using the suction cup there, instead of the tape, would add some security?

Hope they can help you, but I also get the sense that they are a pretty small company, trying to carve out a name for themselves in an industry dominated by cheap knockoffs. Not saying it’s impossible, but it may be a big ask for them, at this stage of the game. Certainly the more Tesla business we can steer toward them, the better able they will be to customize solutions for us!

The double side tape will hold, provided it’s 3M. I use it all the time and I’ve never had it fail. As for whether they can do this I’ll post again when Mark let’s me know.

• Informative
Reactions: fseir
18seeds...have you looked through all the pages of this thread? There are a bunch of pictures....

and...PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!
Newer model, larger phones (OLED screen, particularly) create a lot of heat..especially running Waze...
My iPhone 10 has a "feature" that takes the brightness pretty far down when it is warm, well before it shuts off due to overheating...
So...in Waze settings, where you can choose "day/auto/night", pick "night", which reverses black & white and will create a lot less heat, while being just as visible...and actually, a lot less intrusive, with the phone hanging up there right in front of you...

• Helpful
Reactions: fseir
DD092782-2F5A-43BA-A895-1EA51C076E7D.jpeg
In my opinion, the upper left side of the screen mount location is the best spot for the iPhone.
I don’t necessarily like the aesthetics of this location, but it’s the best position. Anything else is less safe (eyes off the road) plus I can’t reach the phone to do anything in the charging tray (driving or parked.)

Note that this photo was taken below eye level, so it’s only very slightly obscured by the steering wheel in actual use. I’ll probably raise it just a bit anyway.

Depending on seat position (how far back) you might have to lean forward briefly to trigger iPhone FaceID. In Waze, the screen doesn’t lock though.

Note that I’m 5’7” and have the steering wheel at lowest position. Different people will have different viewing experiences.

Here is what i just did. I will run it directly to the 12v outlet once i find a good splitter
Just FYI: some phones (including iPhones) throttle charging rates when the phone reaches a certain temperature, something like 83 degrees — so in the phone dock, without ventilation, you may experience lower charging rates. A big thermal advantage of mounting it up by the screen, is that the suction mount includes a fan, which will help suck in cool air from the dash vent.

Also, are you using a phone that can take advantage of more than 13 watts of power? If not, there’s really no advantage to routing power from the 12V outlet, other than to keep your front USB ports free.

Good luck!

View attachment 338607
I don’t necessarily like the aesthetics of this location, but it’s the best position. Anything else is less safe (eyes off the road) plus I can’t reach the phone to do anything in the charging tray (driving or parked.)

Note that this photo was taken below eye level, so it’s only very slightly obscured by the steering wheel in actual use. I’ll probably raise it just a bit anyway.

Depending on seat position (how far back) you might have to lean forward briefly to trigger iPhone FaceID. In Waze, the screen doesn’t lock though.

Note that I’m 5’7” and have the steering wheel at lowest position. Different people will have different viewing experiences.
You can “buy” a little bit more room, by overlapping the screen slightly, although you may not like the aesthetic trade off. I’m still a fan of the landscape orientation, as I can avoid all steering wheel and windshield obscuration. The only thing I can’t see is the fog light indicator, but I leave them turned on all the time, so this doesn’t bother me.

Just FYI: some phones (including iPhones) throttle charging rates when the phone reaches a certain temperature, something like 83 degrees — so in the phone dock, without ventilation, you may experience lower charging rates. A big thermal advantage of mounting it up by the screen, is that the suction mount includes a fan, which will help suck in cool air from the dash vent.

Also, are you using a phone that can take advantage of more than 13 watts of power? If not, there’s really no advantage to routing power from the 12V outlet, other than to keep your front USB ports free.

Good luck!

good to know about the heat. 90% of the time i doubt i'll have problem. I did purchase the suction cup and gave it a try. In the end i think it looks horrible and its inconvenient, and i don't use waze or stream music on a regular bases

I've got an iphone X and Note 9.

You can “buy” a little bit more room, by overlapping the screen slightly, although you may not like the aesthetic trade off. I’m still a fan of the landscape orientation, as I can avoid all steering wheel and windshield obscuration. The only thing I can’t see is the fog light indicator, but I leave them turned on all the time, so this doesn’t bother me.

Landscape orientation does make the setup look more aesthetically pleasing, but my iPhone X just isn't as functional in this orientation (icons are all sideways etc)... It would have been nice if the XVIDA magnetic base could be bi-directional.

Landscape orientation does make the setup look more aesthetically pleasing, but my iPhone X just isn't as functional in this orientation (icons are all sideways etc)... It would have been nice if the XVIDA magnetic base could be bi-directional.
I previously asked Mark, why the charging pad couldn’t be a square, to accommodate portrait or landscape mounting. Knew there had to be a reason for the rectangle, and here it is:

“You are probably not aware but our previous generation mounts were square shaped, which, naturally allowed for both orientations. So why change to rectangle?

Well yes, there's a reason.. The length of the side edge of the square was the same as the length of the shorter edge of the rectangle. So the square was smaller than the rectangle. It was 2x2inch.
Problem is that when Apple introduced new iPhones with wireless charging they increased the min efficiency required for a wireless charger. With magnets too close to the charging coil, the new standard was not achievable in that form. But to move the magnets outwards in both directions the square would become too large, and the charging surface would protrude from behind the phone on the sides... Not very nice. Also our desk stand wouldn't work visually with such setup.
So we had to drop the idea. After all it is still possible to orient the phone both ways with twisting the charging head. Not as elegant but far from impossible. Long story, but as you have imagined.. There's a reason.”

Maybe with the increasing size of phones, a square option might be possible again, in the future? Or maybe a circle, with the magnets placed at 2, 4, 8, and 10 o’clock?

img_6472-jpg.333525
The cable and mount look just like it looks in the pictures...the mount comes with some little cable clamps if you want to be obsessive about it for the little run behind the screen, but they really wouldn't add anything, it is very stable as is.
Routing into the USB compartment is shown again here - I just enlarged the hole where the cover hinge rides, ever so slightly, enough to get the microUSB plug into it - it goes to the outside, just under where the side trim can be pried up, again ever so slightly, with a spudger - I use a plastic spatula...
It all is pretty invisible from anywhere your eyes actually would be...

gzerninplatz -
I was looking for a similar approach to both (mostly) hide the charge cable without pulling the front of the car apart and still allow me to close the lid on the phone-charger area. From this picture it looks like you drilled a hole in the hinge itself? Doesn't this prevent you from being able to close that lid now, since the cable would block that hinge from moving downward? Any reason you didn't widen the hole that the hinge pivots through instead and leave the hinge in-tact? is there some reason that wouldn't work?

Hinge is intact and works fine- I only had to widen a corner of the hinge hole a tiny amount to allow the lightning plug to fit through

gzerninplatz -
I was looking for a similar approach to both (mostly) hide the charge cable without pulling the front of the car apart and still allow me to close the lid on the phone-charger area. From this picture it looks like you drilled a hole in the hinge itself? Doesn't this prevent you from being able to close that lid now, since the cable would block that hinge from moving downward? Any reason you didn't widen the hole that the hinge pivots through instead and leave the hinge in-tact? is there some reason that wouldn't work?