Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rhode Island Law - Tire repair kit must be included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you a millennial by chance?
I can't speak for the OP, but *I* am a millennial and I'm capable of considering ideas on their merits instead of making generalized ad homs because thinking is hard.

My non-tesla (FCA) car also didn't come with a spare, but it does include a can of slime and a road-hazard triangle. The slime meets (a).(2) - no need for a spare or run-flats!

And while a can of slime is cheap, forcing OEMs to include it may also force them to consider storage options for it. My Pacifica has fantastic false panel to hide it in and room for other road-side repair supplies. If FCA can figure this out, then maybe Tesla as a luxury brand can too!

And while a can of slime is cheap, forcing OEMs to include it may also force them to consider storage options for it. My Pacifica has fantastic false panel to hide it in and room for other road-side repair supplies. If FCA can figure this out, then maybe Tesla as a luxury brand can too!
So now the legacy ICE manufacturers are competing over how best to store a can of slime. Tesla has more important things to focus on.

Wasn’t aware no SC’s in RI... definitely something to deal with if they want to expand into Providence or Warwick!

As for the inflation bottles/slime, be aware that there have been many threads about Tesla not repairing tires (especially the foam-lined X ones) that have been slimed. Even though they sell the stuff.

I don't think it's about poor, rich smart or other. I think the real question is why on earth does the state of RI feel they need to pass such a law? Are there that many people in RI that can't figure out how to be prepared? Heck, what's next. All cars should come with a shovel and cat litter along with a few water bottles and a blanket? I think that's what the OP is really addressing, the craziness of such a law.

The reason RI has this law is primarily to keep low end used car dealers from buying cars that normally come with spares and jacks and then stripping the spares and jacks out and selling them to consumers without a spare and jack.

That said, it does seem to require that any dealer in RI (no idea whether Tesla counts as a dealer for this purpose) throw in a spare and jack when they sell a car unless (i) the car has a spare/jack, (ii) the car has runflat tires, or (iii) the car comes with a factory installed repair kit. Note that they can't just throw in an aftermarket kit. This is probably because the state was worried about dealers removing the spare and jack that belong with a car, and then throwing in a much cheaper aftermarket repair kit.

Tesla has ignored the Monroney window sticker requirement all of these years so I don’t expect they will jump through hoops to comply with this law. If someone makes a big issue of it they may be required to respond.

I actually think there is a recall or service bulletin because Tesla didn’t apply the air bag warning stickers on some cars! I have no idea how the heck they got away with that... but I wouldn’t mind if my car had been one of those!