Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rich Rebuilds CPO disaster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...part of the cause of the delay.

Also,

1) previous owner didn't give up the car's Title timely. Tesla should disclose that on the website that Title not secured so prospective buyers can make informed decision to factor in delays.

2) Tesla staff didn't read even the e-mail that a loaner was to be reserved for Rich. (it's bolded as unread as Rich saw on the monitor at Service Center).

3) Confusion: Who has the car and where....

Still, it shouldn't take that long. Used car should be a quick turn over with minimal time waste.

It's a systemic failure so even when it's intervened by executive level, it still takes a long time.

The wife wants an X and there is no way I'm getting a new one due to price but this whole process has scared me off from buying one now. I'll wait to see if things get better, if so maybe I'll bite but if not I'll get a cheap Bolt or something else for now.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
This is a clear example of the failure of focusing on wall street's short term goals (quarterly numbers) directly impacts long term results (customer good will).

Its hard to recommend a Tesla to friends when you know they will experience tremendous grief going through the terrible service. When they experience the same service, they'll ask you how could you possibly put up with this..?

If it wasn't for their great product, or great mission, they'd be in the dumpster. I wish Tesla did go private, because Wall Street will never be happy and will always demand more and more, until those at top realize the insanity of it OR become corrupt at it.

Reactions: MXWing
The wife wants an X and there is no way I'm getting a new one due to price but this whole process has scared me off from buying one now. I'll wait to see if things get better, if so maybe I'll bite but if not I'll get a cheap Bolt or something else for now.
I had a very pleasant experience, did take longer than I expected, so if you keep that in mind, you'll be o.k.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: GreenT and GSP
This is a clear example of the failure of focusing on wall street's short term goals (quarterly numbers) directly impacts long term results (customer good will).

Its hard to recommend a Tesla to friends when you know they will experience tremendous grief going through the terrible service. When they experience the same service, they'll ask you how could you possibly put up with this..?

If it wasn't for their great product, or great mission, they'd be in the dumpster. I wish Tesla did go private, because Wall Street will never be happy and will always demand more and more, until those at top realize the insanity of it OR become corrupt at it.
Wall Street demands more because of past history that is self inflicted.
We're gonna build 5,000 per week in 2017, then 10,000 per week in 2018! Self driving in 6 months! Funding secured!
Can you blame financial institutions/media/etc for being skeptical and picking apart every little detail?

Reactions: GreenT and darxsys
Wall Street demands more because of past history that is self inflicted.
We're gonna build 5,000 per week in 2017, then 10,000 per week in 2018! Self driving in 6 months! Funding secured!
Can you blame financial institutions/media/etc for being skeptical and picking apart every little detail?

That's the thing with Wall Street, is that they do pick apart every little detail when it doesn't work well with Tesla's style of development and management. Which you're welcome to blast existing Tesla management for making those goals in the first place. I understand why he does those types of goals, but as I mentioned Wall Street's expectations and his expectations when he set those goals don't align. I don't blame Wall Street or him, but rather a mismatch of expectations. The real mistake was taking Tesla public in the first place and not expecting that type of scrutiny.

I'm hoping for an update from Rich soon.. Given his platform, I'm thinking this situation should be escalated a bit more. I had a pretty good experience getting my TM3, but I think the issue is that there's a ton of staff turnover, and no consistency. The girl that I worked with was brand new, about a month in, and fortunately everything went great. I think the best measure of customer service is how the bad issues are handled, and I don't think Tesla has a system in place to manage/mitigate reputational damage done when things go wrong. The parts/repair thing is a major issue. I'm seeing relatively light damage totaling 60K model 3s, because there's not the parts or competitive certified body shops that can do the work. I'm guessing most ins. claim $'s are due to injury, so the ins. co's are probably happy to have people in safe cars like the Tesla, but our premiums are going to rocket for property damage if light damage cannot be efficiently repaired.

Reactions: darxsys

I think you're sifting around for an external source of blame to avoid coming to the conclusion that Tesla is mismanaged. There's plenty of evidence to suggest it's mismanaged and that the problem is Musk himself. The Wired piece in particular is quite damaging.

That these problems are bubbling up to the point where evangelists/influencers like Rich or others are starting to complain should be a wakeup call.

I had an insane experience with Tesla rep in fort Lauderdale. Just gave up on CPO.
IF you read every CPO post on here, you will never ever try it.
The problem is there are too many legs to the Tesla table. The CPO is the worse, with body supply parts second.
Their mgt is so lacking it is sad.
Elon is too spread out to know what is going on. Its called Span of control.

I had an insane experience with Tesla rep in fort Lauderdale. Just gave up on CPO.
IF you read every CPO post on here, you will never ever try it.
The problem is there are too many legs to the Tesla table. The CPO is the worse, with body supply parts second.
Their mgt is so lacking it is sad.
Elon is too spread out to know what is going on. Its called Span of control.
This is where dealerships show their value.

Absolutely. We don't want Tesla to ever get complacent. However ego doesn't allow them to lose at anything.

While it seems incredibly silly why they can't take of one owner like Rich I like it to this analogy.

The UN was founded in 1945. Almost 75 years later, why don't we have world peace yet?

As with most things in the universe, "it's complicated".

You are corporate manager of the service department and you tell Musk "It's complicated".. lol Yet another high level manager on the way out.

You are corporate manager of the service department and you tell Musk "It's complicated".. lol Yet another high level manager on the way out.

My profession is solving complicated problems.
Having a free reign, I have a good idea on what good constitutes a good excuse.

Musk ask what’s up, the solution is not enough autonomy at the store level.

It can be solved, if the willingness is there. Since the issue is important, occam razor says there are more important issues than this.

I think you're sifting around for an external source of blame to avoid coming to the conclusion that Tesla is mismanaged. There's plenty of evidence to suggest it's mismanaged and that the problem is Musk himself. The Wired piece in particular is quite damaging.

That these problems are bubbling up to the point where evangelists/influencers like Rich or others are starting to complain should be a wakeup call.

Oh I absolutely know Tesla is mismanaged. I have a terrible customer service experience, and continued to be not so great experiences for a vehicle I paid nearly 90k for.

My main point remains, that the wall street quarterly profit expectations lead a lot of companies too focused into short term problems than long term solutions which has been echoed in numerous outfits. For Tesla this only exacerbates the management problems that had always been around which is my real point.

Reactions: davidc18
Oh I absolutely know Tesla is mismanaged. I have a terrible customer service experience, and continued to be not so great experiences for a vehicle I paid nearly 90k for.

My main point remains, that the wall street quarterly profit expectations lead a lot of companies too focused into short term problems than long term solutions which has been echoed in numerous outfits. For Tesla this only exacerbates the management problems that had always been around which is my real point.

I don't see any other car manufacturers suffering on wall street for their horrible service. Why should Tesla?

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and GreenT
A measure of progress

"Why the used Tesla system is broken" is the latest update from Rich Rebuilds. Pretty informative, he does some pretty decent amateur sleuthing to figure out what has happened, where the car is at, and looks like he'll get his X within a few days (roughly 11 weeks after ordering.)

I've seen Rich when he wasn't youtubing. I'm not sure he has been very pleasant to Tesla or whomever he has been on the phone with.