Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride Quality of Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I recently did a test drive of the Model Y long range on 20" induction wheels and I was surprised how stiff the ride quality was. We could literally feel every bump on the road and there was a lot of vibration. Being a huge Tesla fan I tried to put the blame on the larger 20" wheels. However, we went back and did a test drive on the 19" wheels and while the ride was a little bit better I thought the ride comfort still lagged behind lot of the ICE vehicles in the same price range. Honestly I was ready to place the order that day but after experiencing the ride quality I am now wondering if I should wait for, if and when Elon would bring air suspension to Model Y. I read about how reducing the psi on the tires helps with the ride quality and I also read about the after market coilovers which improves the ride quality - have any of you experienced similar ride quality issues?

Yes, definitely a stiff ride. Probably the number one issue after the initial panel gap quality issues people are mentioning with the Model Y.

I would still buy it again, not even close to a deal breaker IMObknowing the stiff ride. I'm on 20" inductions, it's not so bad. If there's ever an air suspension upgrade I would buy it in a heartbeat... But not holding out for it. The Model Y is still by far my favorite car for it's size, sporty yet size for pretty much everything.

This won't help you but I just picked my car up 2 days ago and was honestly surprised how supple the ride was. Either my last car rode like a rock, it was definitely stiff but not that bad in my opinion, or the 2021s have a softer suspension? Honestly I go over the same roads my old car went over and there is much less "thunk" going over train tracks and cracked pavement and I have a MY Performance. Maybe give a 2021 a drive and see if it is any better? It could be exactly the same, I don't recall thinking the 2020 I test drove was particularly stiff, so maybe we just have different perceptions of what is a hard ride.

My wife and I recently did a test drive of the Model Y long range on 20" induction wheels and I was surprised how stiff the ride quality was. We could literally feel every bump on the road and there was a lot of vibration. Being a huge Tesla fan I tried to put the blame on the larger 20" wheels. However, we went back and did a test drive on the 19" wheels and while the ride was a little bit better I thought the ride comfort still lagged behind lot of the ICE vehicles in the same price range. Honestly I was ready to place the order that day but after experiencing the ride quality I am now wondering if I should wait for, if and when Elon would bring air suspension to Model Y. I read about how reducing the psi on the tires helps with the ride quality and I also read about the after market coilovers which improves the ride quality - have any of you experienced similar ride quality issues?

For point of reference: what are you comparing the ride to?

my wife has y with the 20” inductions.
It doesn’t absorb bumps as well as my S.

but 90% of the roads we use for daily driving are quite good so non
issue.

if we still lived in the DC area? On those roads? I’d have to go to 19’s

I got my 2021 Y with 20 inch wheels around Thanksgiving and absolutely love it. I did change the tires but and keep them at 40psi. My previous vehicle was a 2018 Jaguar F-Pace which I felt had the roughest ride I’ve ever owned. Drove like a sports car but felt every bump regardless of how big or small it was, so I guess the ride is relevant to what you are used to.

Reactions: mangrove79
You will hear differing opinions on MY ride quality as everyone has a different expectation and threshold for ride quality. I think one thing we can agree on is: MY, in any wheel configuration, will not ride like a Rolls Royce.

I suggest taking an additional test drive of a 2021 to see if you can live with the ride quality.

• Funny
Reactions: mangrove79
I have been driving my Model Y (LR, 19" wheels) since June. Most of my driving has been local driving, almost every day but generally less than 15 miles. I have accumulated just over 2000 miles on the odometer. I think that new Tesla owners should wait until they have driven at least 1000 miles before judging the ride.

In the past I have found that the ride comfort of my vehicles was sensitive to tire pressure. I started out with the Model Y set to the recommended tire pressure, as delivered, of 42 PSI. Over the summer and fall I maintained 40 to 42 PSI. As it has turned colder I have set the tire pressure to 43 to 44 PSI and am surprised how the ride has improved. The next thing I will try is varying the rear tire pressure from the front tire pressure by up to 2 PSI. You can do a lot to finesse the ride comfort of the vehicle by just changing the tire pressure up or down 2 to 3 PSI before going to the trouble and expense of installing new tires, springs or coilovers. Perhaps someday Tesla will offer air suspension for the Model Y.

However, we went back and did a test drive on the 19" wheels and while the ride was a little bit better I thought the ride comfort still lagged behind lot of the ICE vehicles in the same price range.
For the record, it doesn’t “lag behind” ICE vehicles. The stiff suspension is a deliberate choice by Tesla when they designed the vehicle...which I’d say they lean towards performance handling characteristics vs ‘make the car so soft the driver doesn’t feel anything on the road.’

Frankly, if the Y had a soft suspension (like Cadillacs from the 80s and 90s), I would not have bought it. The result would be a ton of body roll when cornering, lack of feel,/feedback, etc.

I like the stiffer ride, as well...bought have also set my psi to 40 since I drive on potholed roads in Boston.

My MY LR had it's Continental tires set at around 40 PSI for months and the ride was pretty wonderful. Since a recent SC visit they were blown up to 45 (46ish once they are running for a bit) and the ride is quite a bit harsher, and every rut and defect on the road is rather noticeable. Isn't 45 a bit too high?

Many that feel the Y is too firm, lose that feeling after they put some miles on the car. Some are just used to a differently tuned ICE, that rode smooth, but handled horribly.

They may also be coming out of a car with lots of miles on it, soft shocks and worn tires.

Y is far higher in performance potential than many ICE variants. Has wider tires and runs higher air pressures.

Simply dropping tire pressures down to a lower range can often be enough.

For the record, it doesn’t “lag behind” ICE vehicles. The stiff suspension is a deliberate choice by Tesla when they designed the vehicle...which I’d say they lean towards performance handling characteristics vs ‘make the car so soft the driver doesn’t feel anything on the road.’

Frankly, if the Y had a soft suspension (like Cadillacs from the 80s and 90s), I would not have bought it. The result would be a ton of body roll when cornering, lack of feel,/feedback, etc.

I like the stiffer ride, as well...bought have also set my psi to 40 since I drive on potholed roads in Boston.

This. The Y rides and handles like Sport tuned suspension. At the opposite end of the spectrum are the aforementioned Caddies that ride and and handle like a floating bouncy castle.

Reactions: ord3r

I've heard about that from some others too. I've had my MY since July and really don't notice it much, with the 20s. Guess to each their own. I didn't buy it for the ride quality, though, I bought it for the tech.

I've heard about that from some others too. I've had my MY since July and really don't notice it much, with the 20s. Guess to each their own. I didn't buy it for the ride quality, though, I bought it for the tech.
It’s so funny, people’s expectations. I recently drove a Leaf, and the ride was soft, but the handling was so far beyond horrible I would classify it as incompetent. For people looking at Ys moving up from Leafs and Priuses and CR-Vs and Highlander’s … a little stiffness is the difference between marshmallow and safety. I have a MYP and I find the car perfect. So, to each their own. Maybe Hyundai will come out with a 140 hp 300 mile range car. If you drive super duper cautious, maybe 3/10s, then a competent handling car will always feel too stiff.

20" vs 19" makes a difference, I test drove both in NYC crumbled roads, 19" is the way to go on those streets.

However, it is still more stiff than some of the same category competitors, even vs the BMW X3. You can't compare to MS since that has air suspension which will make the ride softer when needed. I really hope they would add the air suspension to MY.

Reactions: rxlawdude
It’s so funny, people’s expectations. I recently drove a Leaf, and the ride was soft, but the handling was so far beyond horrible I would classify it as incompetent. For people looking at Ys moving up from Leafs and Priuses and CR-Vs and Highlander’s … a little stiffness is the difference between marshmallow and safety. I have a MYP and I find the car perfect. So, to each their own. Maybe Hyundai will come out with a 140 hp 300 mile range car. If you drive super duper cautious, maybe 3/10s, then a competent handling car will always feel too stiff.

Yes, you purchased with a performance expectation (since you got MYP) but most of us didn't. MY and MYP has the same suspension system. For rest of us, we don't necessary want a stiff ride all the time. The problem has been solved, they just need to figure out how to bring it to MY.