Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ridiculous article comparing Model S and ELR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to think that vehicles like the Chevy Volt were useless and not really an EV. But what has happened is that those cars have become more like training wheels for people who are worried about how much range they need. Volt owners track how many weeks and months they go without using gas. They're proud of it.

I've heard from several Volt owners that they bought a Volt because they had range anxiety. Now they have gasoline anxiety.

They never want to hear that gas engine kick in and think "Awww crap, now I might have to go to a gas station."

Volt owners track how many weeks and months they go without using gas. They're proud of it. They are aware they do not need a great deal of range. And a surprisingly large number have stated that their next car will be pure electric.

This is dead right. I was convinced that a 40 or 60kWh Model S wouldn't have worked for me (I drive ~25k miles a year) because I drive a lot. And was unsure about the 85kWh. I wanted them to be enough, but I was convinced the 85kWh would just barely meet my needs.

So I tracked every single trip, and charge opportunity I had, while driving my GTI, for over a year. And turns out that a 40kWh would work for ~98% of my days, and with minor changes to my habits could function for all my around town needs. I ended up with the 85kWh, but that was to prevent issues with battery degradation, as well as help limit my desire to trade up after 5 years.

My wife for the longest time though ~130 miles for the 40kWh was a joke, and now she drives a Ford Focus Electric (~70 miles range) without issue. People have no idea how little they actually drive.

My wife for the longest time though ~130 miles for the 40kWh was a joke, and now she drives a Ford Focus Electric (~70 miles range) without issue. People have no idea how little they actually drive.

I think it's because they just don't understand the joy of it being always full in the morning. They are still thinking about how often they have to fill the gas guzzler, and some little voice in the back of their head says "yeah, and the electric has even less range!"

I've heard from several Volt owners that they bought a Volt because they had range anxiety. Now they have gasoline anxiety.

They never want to hear that gas engine kick in and think "Awww crap, now I might have to go to a gas station."

Exactly. They regard the engine as a safety net, but it's also defeat when they have to use it! Many Volt owners take great pride when the engine powers up because the gas is getting so old, it needs to be burned before it becomes a problem.

Each to his/her own. I've always disagreed, but it's purely subjective. As another data point, I was over at the Rocklin center yesterday and a gentleman was in checking out the Model S for the first time. He opened the door and you could hear him intake his breath. Next comment was, 'Finally, not overdone. Quiet elegance. Like.' Which is of course what Elon was going for. Not everyone agrees. No one will ever agree on anything.

There's no accounting for taste, that's for sure. I find the so called "luxury" interior designs the height of bad taste, an attempt satisfy the "conspicuous consumption" tendencies of our culture (apologies to Thorsten Veblen). Thus the use of all of that polished wood in some luxury cars, as if the car was some wood paneled British parlor.

On the other hand, I find the Tesla interior a wonderful execution of the "less is more" philosophy in design or "form follows function." But that doesn't make me right or suggest that there are some absolute truths. We each like what we like. The Tesla interior will disappoint those who like what I consider tasteless and they may very well conclude that I have no taste:)