Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rims chipping off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Omg.. I've driven around CA for over 8 years now.. this never happened to all my previous cars..

How do you repair damage like this? Don't want the crack to grow..
You need to find a reputable wheel refinishing shop. I'm in Oregon and don't know any in your area so you'll have to do some digging yourself.
We had a 2015 Tesla S in our shop yesterday that was showing signs of the flaking that many owners experience so it's definitely not uncommon. The debris that struck your wheel may not have damaged other wheels with a more durable coating but from what we've all started seeing, Tesla wheel coatings are not as robust as we'd like to see.
Back to your issue, be wary of mobile wheel repair guys especially if they service car dealerships. I would want to see reviews/feedback from RETAIL clients of theirs to see how long their repairs last. Many of these guys can make a wheel look good while it sits on the dealer's lot for a few weeks, but after several washes and use in the real world they start flaking quickly.

• Helpful
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
You need to find a reputable wheel refinishing shop. I'm in Oregon and don't know any in your area so you'll have to do some digging yourself.
We had a 2015 Tesla S in our shop yesterday that was showing signs of the flaking that many owners experience so it's definitely not uncommon. The debris that struck your wheel may not have damaged other wheels with a more durable coating but from what we've all started seeing, Tesla wheel coatings are not as robust as we'd like to see.
Back to your issue, be wary of mobile wheel repair guys especially if they service car dealerships. I would want to see reviews/feedback from RETAIL clients of theirs to see how long their repairs last. Many of these guys can make a wheel look good while it sits on the dealer's lot for a few weeks, but after several washes and use in the real world they start flaking quickly.
Thanks a lot for information! I checked with Tesla SC, and they are quoting $250 for refinishing or $800 for brand new wheel replacement. Seems very steep. I'll have to ask around now.

Thank you!

Thanks a lot for information! I checked with Tesla SC, and they are quoting $250 for refinishing or $800 for brand new wheel replacement. Seems very steep. I'll have to ask around now.

Thank you!

Try Wheel Techniques in Santa Clara Wheel Repair - Wheel Techniques

Wheel Works chipped the paint on my Slipstream rim and they sent me to Wheel Techniques to have it completely repainted.
I don't know what it cost since Wheel Works was paying for it.

IMG_20161103_090951557_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: chibi_kurochan