TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rims chipping off

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ModelSFL, Mar 5, 2016.

1. ModelSFL

ModelSFL Member

I am noticing on a few of the rims they are actually chipping off. I am not sure how this is occurring as there is no other damage around the rim.

1. Anyone have ideas what would be causing this?
    2. How can I repair this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. taldric

taldric Member

I would think that would qualify as a defect. Not sure how you can have that localized damage with no other damage.

3. Jsduda

Jsduda Member

Noticed the same on one of mine recently. Didn't hit a curb, just chipping off on its own. Will have service center look the next time I get tires rotated. Anyone talk to them about this yet and get any feedback?

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I can see a rock being shot from the tire of an vehicle traveling in the opposite direction doing this, but it's got to be really rare. I had this happen once a long time ago and it smashed the driver's door window (rental car fortunately). I don't see how it could happen in two places as shown in the pictures.

5. ModelSFL

ModelSFL Member

Same here, isolated chipping. I will also send the photos to my local SC to see what they say.

6. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

Cannot see the pictures, but I also noticed paint lifting / chipping on my 2013 19' rims.

My SC told me it is normal damage from road debris (they are winter rims) and contactless car washes.

7. ModelSFL

ModelSFL Member

Do you have a picture of your damage?

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I haven't seen any chipping on mine in three years. Those of you that have it, could it be a winter salt problem?

9. ModelSFL

ModelSFL Member

I live in FL :)

10. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

Maybe the chemistry of your environment is facilitating a breakdown. There are some fasteners at hardware stores not rated for under a certain distance from the ocean, and I've lived most my life under that distance from the ocean. But that's true for lots of people who have Teslas. I suspect a combination of factors.

11. Lintrix

Lintrix Member

Can you re-up the pics? I'm having issues loading them.

12. ModelSFL

ModelSFL Member

1084408efe57c4239c5553871bcac956.jpg 1c46a1dbc93963f97683b74f4bb3e54c.jpg

13. ModelSFL

ModelSFL Member

I do live near the beach. Could be a factor

14. BoldSharpe

BoldSharpe Member

Same issue on my 11 month old 19's. I have my annual service appointment in a month and will ask them about it then.

15. ChadFeldheimer

I have 8 19" wheels - 4 with all seasons and 4 with winter tires. When I last swapped them in the fall, I noticed that most of them (~6 of 8) show the same issue - chunks of missing paint without any other signs of damage.

Sorry to hear that I'm not alone.

16. Skipdd

Skipdd Member

Hmm, I have same problem on one wheel. I chalked it up to a rock hitting it. i am curious to see how this unfolds. I have had rocks fly up and hit previous cars - never damaged a rim before, but (xxing my fingers) have had several hit and damage windshields. We will see..

17. ModelSFL

ModelSFL Member

As an update, I showed the SC and they said it cost $150 to repair each rim. This type of rim (or any rim damage?) is not covered by warranty. I just noticed that a 3rd rim is chipping off as well. Strange..

18. chibi_kurochan

Any updates on this? Just noticed today on our front driver side wheel.. and it's only one month old with ~2000miles..

19. chibi_kurochan

IMG_0841.JPG IMG_0840.JPG Here's a picture of my front left rim

20. Fresh Start Detail

That definitely looks like a chip caused by an impact from a rock or some other road debris. Not much you can do to avoid this kind of road hazard. :mad: