Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RIP Panoramic Roof... :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, Tesla is heading in the correct path. It’s much more than just cost control (although that is a big reason). Just because you can offer more choices doesn’t mean you should. It’s thoughtful reduction. I like Tesla following the laws of simplicity. Not suprising, very Apple-esque.

You mean like just having one iPhone: the Iphone XS...I mean XS Max...no the iPhone 8...wait, sorry I mean the XR...in 6 different colors.

Problem: Customer prefers a pano roof that does not leak.
Solution: Sell one less car to that customer? :rolleyes:

I doubt this whole pano roof leaking situation is widespread. We've never had any such issues and love our pano roof.

If Tesla can build a falcon wing door, I am sure they can figure out how to make a roof that does not leak...

Not quite our experience.

One of our 2017 MS's has the Pano Roof; just found out that if we park it facing downhill in the rain water will collect and leak inside the car. (Yes, the drain holes appear open!) What a mess--and given that they've been building MS's with Pano roofs since 2012 it's easy to see why Tesla has probably had it with warranty issues, or that's our guess anyway?

I hate sunroofs, moonroofs, and anything else that is so massively prone to problems down the line, in or out of warranty. Good riddance!

Not quite our experience.

One of our 2017 MS's has the Pano Roof; just found out that if we park it facing downhill in the rain water will collect and leak inside the car. (Yes, the drain holes appear open!) What a mess--and given that they've been building MS's with Pano roofs since 2012 it's easy to see why Tesla has probably had it with warranty issues, or that's our guess anyway?

I hate sunroofs, moonroofs, and anything else that is so massively prone to problems down the line, in or out of warranty. Good riddance!
I have a 2015 P85D and the pano roof has leaked a couple times over the years, although not enough to make the effort to get it fixed.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
An S would have a higher gross margin than a 3 and much higher gross profit dollars per unit because of the price difference. Because the 3 is an attractive car I expect there has been some substitution of 3s for Ss in Tesla's new orders, particularly given the recent improvement in Model 3 availability. I think the company would want to blunt this adverse profit shift by further differentiating the S from the 3, but their reducing configurations of the S would do just the opposite. So either they are behaving very oddly or this is a temporary measure in the lead up to some sort of a refresh or interior redesign whose timing sooner than the consensus view.

Pano roof fan here too. Everyone told me "don't get the sunroof. You'll never open it!" I use it constantly. The only reason I haven't used it lately is because of all the CA fires happening. Air quality in the bay area is terrible. Aside from that, I open it almost daily on my commutes and nice weather. Perfect for Spring and Fall.

I am disappointed that the option is no longer available but I think it's temporary. I hope for future's sake, it returns. Can't see buying another without T the Pano.

Like the Pano Roof. But being over 6ft tall I felt that theres much moor headroom without it. Feels more open with just a glass roof and bigger. I had Pano in my old Jeep and absolutely loved it. I didn't use it as much as I would of liked though. In the Summer it was just too hot when open. I opted not to have it in my current model s.

Previously owned cars include: Izusu Trooper (big sunroof); Porsche Boxster (convertible); Mercedes CLK 430 (convertible); Audi Q5 (sunroof).

There was absolutely no way I was gonna get a Tesla Model S without a retractable sunroof. The fact that the Model 3 lacks one is one reason I doubt I’d ever sell my S for a 3. I sure hope Tesla comes out with an S with the pano roof again because if they don’t I won’t replace my aging S with a new S.

Previously owned cars include: Izusu Trooper (big sunroof); Porsche Boxster (convertible); Mercedes CLK 430 (convertible); Audi Q5 (sunroof).

There was absolutely no way I was gonna get a Tesla Model S without a retractable sunroof. The fact that the Model 3 lacks one is one reason I doubt I’d ever sell my S for a 3. I sure hope Tesla comes out with an S with the pano roof again because if they don’t I won’t replace my aging S with a new S.

I doubt you are alone.

Just as a point of data: Among the 945 CPO vehicles available for sale,777 are available with the sunroof and that accounts for 82% of the CPO inventory. Sunroofs are absolutely popular and we would not want to buy a car without one.

I doubt you are alone.

Just as a point of data: Among the 945 CPO vehicles available for sale,777 are available with the sunroof and that accounts for 82% of the CPO inventory. Sunroofs are absolutely popular and we would not want to buy a car without one.

Alternatively, 82% of previous owners hated the sunroof and traded it in. Or likely more accurate, more CPO cars have sunroofs because they only started offering an alternative all glass roof in late 2016.

Alternatively, 82% of previous owners hated the sunroof and traded it in. Or likely more accurate, more CPO cars have sunroofs because they only started offering an alternative all glass roof in late 2016.

That's just one data point and I believe my point that sunroofs are extremely popular and desired is still valid. Even if 40-50% of Mode S vehicles are ordered with a sunroof, that is a massively desired option and as many others have posted, it is a must have feature for some customers.

Problem: Customer prefers a pano roof that does not leak.
Solution: Sell one less car to that customer? :rolleyes:

I doubt this whole pano roof leaking situation is widespread. We've never had any such issues and love our pano roof.

If Tesla can build a falcon wing door, I am sure they can figure out how to make a roof that does not leak...
Funny you should mention falcon wing door. I wonder how long that will last.