Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RIP Vin #783

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appears Tesla is coming back saying that you can't buy individual sheets. This is interesting, shouldn't a car manufacturer supply parts for the car they manufacture? I'm curious if a wholesale repair shop can order a sheet.

I was always under the impression that an auto manufacturer was legally bound to provide you the exact parts or equivalent aftermarket parts matching or exceeding original OEM specs.

Appears Tesla is coming back saying that you can't buy individual sheets. This is interesting, shouldn't a car manufacturer supply parts for the car they manufacture? I'm curious if a wholesale repair shop can order a sheet.
I could understand them not selling a single brick, but being able to buy a single sheet has long been a selling point of the Roadster.

So here's more info. Tesla does not want to sell parts nor support any vehicle that's been declared salvaged/totaled. That means there's no way to buy parts for these and to officially get them back on the Road. There is some clause Tesla has had for 3+ years back and it was just verified it still stands.

If you had a sheet go bad and your car is not salvaged. You could pull the pack and then have Telsa put the sheet in. Not verified but it appears true. I also believe that if you find a shop that's an authorized Tesla Parts wholesaler that the parts can be purchased by them and they can put the part in.

I think that clause really sucks and I'm disappointed. So it just makes me feel that many of these Roadsters that are very repairable are going to have a slow death.

Most likely why they didn't want to repair or open up Roadster #783 to be back on the road again.

Looks like we need really put our heads together and make our own support network.

So here's more info. Tesla does not want to sell parts nor support any vehicle that's been declared salvaged/totaled. That means there's no way to buy parts for these and to officially get them back on the Road. There is some clause Tesla has had for 3+ years back and it was just verified it still stands.

If you had a sheet go bad and your car is not salvaged. You could pull the pack and then have Telsa put the sheet in. Not verified but it appears true. I also believe that if you find a shop that's an authorized Tesla Parts wholesaler that the parts can be purchased by them and they can put the part in.

I think that clause really sucks and I'm disappointed. So it just makes me feel that many of these Roadsters that are very repairable are going to have a slow death.

Most likely why they didn't want to repair or open up Roadster #783 to be back on the road again.

Looks like we need really put our heads together and make our own support network.

Might be worth contacting this shop to see whether they might be interested:
http://www.emotorwerks.com/

Might be worth contacting this shop to see whether they might be interested:
http://www.emotorwerks.com/

I was looking at that site yesterday, the think about replacing the sheets is that you want to replace it with one that matches very close with the CAC/Voltage/ and age of the cells/sheets that are already in there. That's where the Tesla supplied sheets work nicely, since they have a stock of sheets at different CAC and age.

I don't know how harmful or fast it would degrade the pack if higher CAC and newer cells were placed in the ESS. I thought the software would handle it since it only can have as much range / CAC as the lowest sheet/brick in the pack.

Sad. I can walk into a BMW dealership and they'd be happy to sell me parts for my salvaged 3-series. Why can't I do the same at Tesla? Tesla, being revolutionary and all, does not need to break principles that have worked well before.

I'm now back in #970, a 2.5 Sport that was a previous service loaner. White's a rare color so I picked twilight blue as my wife liked the color from a another loaner
I had while #783 was being serviced. Here are some pics at the factory and around the neighborhood -

_Z2C9844.jpg
_Z2C9850.jpg
_Z2C9948.jpg