Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid to have mine replaced, rather than have a giant hole there.

Looking at it, post-repair, it's easy to see how the design is flawed.

On my car, the front lip of the protector does not sit flush with the car, so no wonder it can potentially catch water.

CNGpMws.jpg

That's bad design. Why would it not be tucked under the hard plastic piece.

The issue is why did they make that part out of cardboard in the first place?

OK, maybe it’s not cardboard but some other flimsy composite fibreboard type material that appears to lose structure and strength especially when wet or just rips and breaks apart when it scrapes against other objects?

If it was made from panels of high impact plastic/composite material most of these issues would not be occurring. Why not make it from the same material as the rest of the underbody?

Maybe there’s a good reason? To help with heat dissipation/ventilation? Would be good to know if there is some genuine design reason why they went for a different material at the front of the underbody.

We will exaggerate because it's flimsier than it should be, but the reality is it isn't actually compromised when wet. The material is used by a lot of other manufacturers in wheel wells. It is cheap, lightweight, and dampens sound better than plastic.
It's basically felt + epoxy similar to carbon fiber + epoxy which of course is very durable. But there's not continuous linkage in this material so it can tear once a rip has started.
The other issue is it is underneath the car where it is likely to be torn by debris. Even worse, it appears there are some manufacturing issues where many cars did not have its leading edge protected, and even some retainer bolts missing.
It goes along with the water that fills my trunk in that this is a California car where not as much thought was put into engineering for weather.
Most other cars use hard plastic underneath which would be a little more durable, but not as quiet. Most don't bother covering the back of the car because they don't care as much about aerodynamics.
It's a great opportunity for aftermarket companies to make replacement parts out of upgraded materials. Plastic, aluminum, titanium, etc. Look up replacement skid plates for other cars and you will find similar.

Just happened to me- ripped composite tray dragging on road. I just purchased my Model 3 about 5 months ago and this was our first heavy rain. I went through a puddle. I am bringing it into service- they better not charge me. My Dad's $19,000 Honda Accord LX 2017 was behind me and had ZERO issues.

Reactions: beachmiles
This happened to me in May '19 on my Aug '18 P3D and they replaced it with the same composite material for free.

It happened again today during normal driving in rainy weather at non-highway speeds.

It occurred in exactly the same spot with just about the exact same rip. Now, I did have to pull it off to keep it from grinding on the road.

Attachments

• P3D-underbody-rip-small.png
    P3D-underbody-rip-small.png
    798.2 KB · Views: 235
This happened to me in May '19 on my Aug '18 P3D and they replaced it with the same composite material for free.

It happened again today during normal driving in rainy weather at non-highway speeds.

It occurred in exactly the same spot with just about the exact same rip. Now, I did have to pull it off to keep it from grinding on the road.

So odd that it is happening to some and not others. I thought for sure I would have this issue by now living in the Seattle area but good so far.

I've had the same issue but it was because of hitting something at high speed on the freeway - fortunately, we weren't too far from a truckstop with Flextape in stock so that did the trick as a temporary solution.

IMG_3641.jpg

After removing the Flextape I still wanted something more durable to keep the cover from flapping and tearing more - I figure this part would take some time to procure so I thought of a solution so that the car could be drivable in the meantime.

First I jacked up the front sides, put supports underneath so that I could get to the tray and remove 9 10mm hex bolts and 2 16mm hex nuts so that I could get it off the car. Now you can see the tray and the damaged corner after removal -
IMG_3643.jpg

My idea is to use some already ripped office chair rug protector to replace the corner by cutting it and gluing it to the tray.
The smooth side got sanded and cleaned to make sure the glue had something to bond to and the tray where the plastic was
going was cleaned as well. The nice thing also about being see-through is that it'll be easy to mark where to drill the hole for the bolt.

IMG_3644.jpg

After cutting and gluing, it still has the frayed edges which may catch and peel off from the plastic -

IMG_3647.jpg

I used some tape to keep the edge clean -

IMG_3648.jpg
IMG_3649.jpg

Then I put the tray temporarily back on to mark the bolt hole and drill through the plastic.

IMG_3650.jpg

We'll see how long it takes Tesla to get a better part for this and hopefully this fix will last awhile!

IMG_3651.jpg