Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the black gorilla tape, and it's still holding up after a couple weeks, although today was the first time it rained in any measurable amount. Still, seems promising!

While not a sponge per se my composite material is still wet. It’s taped but I will get it again in about 15-30 minutes.

Oh yeah... annnnd it’s still raining lol

On my X, the trim piece on my passenger side wheel well tore off when I went through a puddle. Tesla said they are not responsible. I am ok with this had both sides broken off. However, it was just one side. I paid to get it replaced as I didn't want to argue with them, but it was irritating nonetheless.

Another one here. I had the same thing occur last week after driving local roads in the rain with minimal standing water, nothing deep and never felt anything hit or scrape.

I contacted Tesla Support who reached out to the local service center to get me in as they noted this as a potential safety issue. Part has been ordered and am awaiting an update. This thread and a similar one I found here makes me think it's an assembly issue, the plastic covering is not adequate, or they have a better fix with the replacement.

Add me to the list, I discovered something hanging off my car yesterday and it turns out to suspiciously be pretty much the same section of fiber fabric right of center behind the battery. I might also be missing a bolt or two. It was already dragging so I tore it off.
Might be from a long drive in the heavy rain on new years but I did not go through any standing water.
IMG_0764.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors and JeffK
Add me to the list, I discovered something hanging off my car yesterday and it turns out to suspiciously be pretty much the same section of fiber fabric right of center behind the battery. I might also be missing a bolt or two. It was already dragging so I tore it off.
Might be from a long drive in the heavy rain on new years but I did not go through any standing water.
View attachment 365467
Yep, that's the exact spot.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
View attachment 365467

You do not appear to be missing a bolt in that location; that hole that is there does not have a bolt installed, it is covered - are there others missing/loose on the panel? (There are a total of 13 10mm head (I said 8mm elsewhere which is incorrect) bolt/washer combos on the rear cover - 1 in the middle and 12
around the edges.)

Same spot as everyone else who has had this issue.

Hopefully Tesla can replace this free of charge with a redesigned version, for you. I still wonder what is the exact mechanism for the damage.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
So there is a re-designed version of this Specific panel which is failing with Water ? Or are they still putting the same thing and hoping for a different result.

Also, I wonder has someone try to put some sort of Clear plastic film on top.. And see if that helps ?

In the Tesla forums
We don't know at this point if there's a redesigned version or if they are even looking at it. Hopefully data about repairs at this point would have indicated a problem.

In the Tesla forums thread, this user has reported that Tesla is addressing the issue:

drleonc | January 2, 2019
Same thing happened to my Model 3, Service center secured it back in place and ordered replacement. They scheduled reinstall however they then told me that Tesla has placed a "Containment Hold" on the splash shield and not allowed to install/replace the part because apparently it is being re-engineered and a new part will be released. Looks like Tesla has noticed an issue with this material and its defectiveness. They advised that they will call me when that part becomes available. I was not going to be charged for any replacement part or installation. For now we wait. I'll keep you posted.

I obviously don't know whether or not this is true, but I'm hopeful that it is and it means this is being addressed.

Can't be good to have water, stones and other road debris potentially shooting up above or it wouldn't be covered to begin with. Do hope the post about a redesigned part is true and we can get this replaced in the next few months.

Kind of surprised to hear about @lloyds wheel well cover needing replacing although when a mobile tech came out to my house to drop off a missing license plate holder, I had him check the rivets in my wheel wells and he mentioned that he was on his way to replace someeone's wheel liner.

Nice, I hope it's true.

I did tweet Elon and Tesla about it in December... maybe it made a difference.

Thank You for the tweet. I hope enough people report this so We can have a solution for this. Anyways I still love the Car I am certain this issue will be addressed in coming months. Thank You everyone for reporting this issue and making other people aware of the issue.